Re: Gareth Thomas

rncfc wrote:The Sun is just beyond. Absolute scumbag journalism, but we shouldn't be surprised. Unfortunately there are enough people interested in this gutter press to ensure it continues to exist.

Gareth Thomas seems a nice guy. Was a great rugby player too.
Agree, and admire his bravery. Hopefully it will pave the way soon for soccer players to feel able to publicly admit to their sexuality, whatever it may be? Would be interested to hear if others believe it will happen?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
rncfc wrote:The Sun is just beyond. Absolute scumbag journalism, but we shouldn't be surprised. Unfortunately there are enough people interested in this gutter press to ensure it continues to exist.

Agree, and admire his bravery. Hopefully it will pave the way soon for soccer players to feel able to publicly admit to their sexuality, whatever it may be? Would be interested to hear if others believe it will happen?
I don't think you will find any high profile footballers coming out O C when you have got utter garbage rags and journalists (and I use that word lightly) who would take great pleasure in destroying those players and their families.
I have every respect for gareth Thomas as a rugby player who reached the very pinnacle of his game and I wish him all the luck in the world with the fight he has to come, but sadly the gutter trash won't leave him alone now they have their fangs in him.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

I think we are now light years away from footballers coming out after what has just happened to GT. Why should they put themselves through it?

It has nothing to do with press freedom and is an ethical issue. It is all to do with profit and selling papers. The media feel that news like this will sell. Just don’t buy into it. Alfie is a legend.

As for Ben Stokes, I have no idea as to what it is about. Apparently whatever it is happened 30 years ago but the press feel it is important. Utter hypocritical garbage. I don’t want to add to any feeding frenzy.

Two sporting legends and bloody good luck to them both.

I find the Sun an utterly repulsive newspaper.

However one caveat. All of us, if we are honest, at one time or another have revelled in scandal and the misfortune of the private life of others. And in condemning the Sun we might at least try to reflect on our behaviour.

I remember some years ago a women complaining about the comedian Frankie Boyle. She found his making jokes about people with learning difficulties. Especially as her child had Down's Syndrome. The woman went on to say that she enjoyed Frankie's edgy humour but that he had gone too far.

I couldn't help wondering that perhaps it was simply the woman only complained because the 'humour' was too close to home. And I wonder if we are all quick enough to condemn others whilst happily doing exactly the same.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I find the Sun an utterly repulsive newspaper.

However one caveat. All of us, if we are honest, at one time or another have revelled in scandal and the misfortune of the private life of others. And in condemning the Sun we might at least try to reflect on our behaviour.

I remember some years ago a women complaining about the comedian Frankie Boyle. She found his making jokes about people with learning difficulties. Especially as her child had Down's Syndrome. The woman went on to say that she enjoyed Frankie's edgy humour but that he had gone too far.

I couldn't help wondering that perhaps it was simply the woman only complained because the 'humour' was too close to home. And I wonder if we are all quick enough to condemn others whilst happily doing exactly the same.
Sadly yes, I fear I ,like many others, am more than capable both of enjoying gossip and of being a hypocrite. I hope we do less harm in our private confidences than that wretched newspaper which broadcasts its filth all over its front pages and presumably the internet too .

Whilst agreeing with the criticism of the press and media in general in relation to Gareth Thomas, and other high profile sportsmen (cricket, swimming diving come to mind) who have 'come out'; sadly in relation to football I feel the more adverse reaction of some of the crowds at football games, compared to crowds at other sports, would also be a factor in deterring a player from openly declaring there sexuality. Apparently, though this is not a issue in the women's game?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Whilst agreeing with the criticism of the press and media in general in relation to Gareth Thomas, and other high profile sportsmen (cricket, swimming diving come to mind) who have 'come out'; sadly in relation to football I feel the more adverse reaction of some of the crowds at football games, compared to crowds at other sports, would also be a factor in deterring a player from openly declaring there sexuality. Apparently, though this is not a issue in the women's game?
P.S as much as I admire Gareth's bravery and honesty, I have to say I believe his pantomime performances leave a lot of room for improvement.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I find the Sun an utterly repulsive newspaper.

Evening Brendan. I get your point but, there is a bloody big but that goes with this story.

I still haven't seen the TV programme last night about Alfie but my wife tells me that his father was approached in the street by a scumbag telling him that his son had a nasty illness. GT hand was forced and he had no choice other than to go public before they did. Whether that little ****** was from the Sun, I have no idea. The point is, lots of journalists from the mass media could have done this. I am not defending the Sun but most of the media are attempting it.

We have all probably been tittilated at some time in our life by gossip in one way or another. The difference is, these people are making money out of it. There is a vast difference. They feel that the general public will latch on to the story and buy the paper. Surely the best way for us to deal with this issue is not to take part. Degrees of nastiness and all that.

Nobody is whiter than white, but if it is possible, just don't play the game.

Evening mate
You need to view the documentary.
He had to get a Barrister to stop the Sum Bag paper naming him although they still ran an article without a name that putting 2 & 2 together would come back to it being Alfie.

Feel for the guys family

Not just because hes a homosexual but hes lived a dangerous lifestyle if reports are correct unprotected sex how would his ex wife must be feeling was he doing unsafe sex behind her back putting her health/life in danger

That goes for heterosexual people as well

Sorry don't like the man

Haven't watched the documentary . Basically because I'm sick of seeing the man on the TV lately !
Not that I condone The Sun or other like minded individuals for what they have done or said , but Gareth Thomas' life is just one , big documentary from what I can see .

He's a gay "celebrity" ..... big deal .

As for him having HIV , there is absolutely no excuse in this day and age .
He says he wants people to be "more aware" of the condition . It's a pity he wasn't "more aware" himself !

(Cue a ban for homophobic comments ! :roll: )