Re: Grandstand - Exeter home

larrywilkie wrote:Hi again,

Exeter fan here in peace once more.

I was interested to read your views, and always try to read both sides to get a balanced view of the match.

I spoke to a few County fans before the match and said I thought 1-1. I think we would both have taken it before the match?

Agree with most comments on here that we probably shaded the first half, but we just didn't or couldn't get started (to your credit) in the second half.

I don't think there are many comments on our site saying that County are thugs (maybe one or two, but you will get that with all clubs), most are just making the point that you are a strong and physical (not in a bad way) side, and in previous years we have been known to be intimidated by that, but not this year.

I also note various comments about Exeter players throwing themselves to the floor, and agree there was a bit of that going on, but I would say that both sides were guilty of it at times. It would be interesting to see extended highlights to check some of the tackles out from both sides. We sometimes do an extended highlight package on our site so will keep a look out for that.

Of the two main talking points, the penalty just looked like an all round mess from our point of view, and from where I was sat in the Bisley, I wasn't surprised when he gave it. Some from behind the goal say that he saw a trailing leg and made sure he fell over it (I guess they would say that though!!). TV pictures not really conclusive either way, but our player certainly gave the referee an opportunity to award it. Our gaffer wasn't arguing about that decision either, so that's good enough for me!!

I also didn't have a good view of the stamping incident as the play had moved on. Was anyone in a really good position to see it happen? I know there was an angry reaction from the fans on that side, so assume it was as stated.

All in all, a decent game, two good sides, cracking weather, good crowd, very good atmosphere as always, and as I live in South Wales, I am glad not to have to face a load of stick from work colleagues today about getting beaten.

Hope you don't mind me posting on here and see you on Boxing Day.
I must say that the way Exeter started , I thought we were in for a stuffing. I thought we rallied well after ht and probably should have won it but a good competitive game and a draw was just about what I’d have settled for before the start.
I thought the referee was strong at rejecting the dubious claims for free-kicks from a small group of players intent on play-acting and I was sad to see it as a feature of what was a decent game. You’ll probably think I’m being partisan but I have to say the thespianism was almost totally restricted to your guys :grin: As an ex-ref, I was disappointed that all four officials missed the stamp which seemed pretty obvious ( from what I must admit was 50 yards away for me :grin: )
Anyway , an enjoyable game , perfect weather and all in all a fairly decent referee which is as rare as hens teeth in this league :grin: hope you enjoyed the day.

I was interested to read your views, and always try to read both sides to get a balanced view of the match.

I spoke to a few County fans before the match and said I thought 1-1. I think we would both have taken it before the match?

Agree with most comments on here that we probably shaded the first half, but we just didn't or couldn't get started (to your credit) in the second half.

I don't think there are many comments on our site saying that County are thugs (maybe one or two, but you will get that with all clubs), most are just making the point that you are a strong and physical (not in a bad way) side, and in previous years we have been known to be intimidated by that, but not this year.

I also note various comments about Exeter players throwing themselves to the floor, and agree there was a bit of that going on, but I would say that both sides were guilty of it at times. It would be interesting to see extended highlights to check some of the tackles out from both sides. We sometimes do an extended highlight package on our site so will keep a look out for that.

Of the two main talking points, the penalty just looked like an all round mess from our point of view, and from where I was sat in the Bisley, I wasn't surprised when he gave it. Some from behind the goal say that he saw a trailing leg and made sure he fell over it (I guess they would say that though!!). TV pictures not really conclusive either way, but our player certainly gave the referee an opportunity to award it. Our gaffer wasn't arguing about that decision either, so that's good enough for me!!

I also didn't have a good view of the stamping incident as the play had moved on. Was anyone in a really good position to see it happen? I know there was an angry reaction from the fans on that side, so assume it was as stated.

All in all, a decent game, two good sides, cracking weather, good crowd, very good atmosphere as always, and as I live in South Wales, I am glad not to have to face a load of stick from work colleagues today about getting beaten.

That’s an excellent synopsis , it’s just a pity that your manger thinks you’re a better footballing side than what you are. Another manager coming to Rodney parade claiming you couldn’t play your game and got involved in a battle. If only opposing managers couldn’t just be a little more respectful. You picked up 4 yellow cards, a stamp , a definite penalty compared to an innocuous yellow for Sheehan after just 10 minutes.

Crewe have been by far the best footballing team to play at Rodney Parade thus far and their performance against us is no fluke looking at the table and results.
For us to go up automatically this season WE Need to score more when we have sides under the cosh and have the midfielders scoring more. On the season after 10 games with playing many of the pre season promotion candidates County have no reason to fear any team and unlike previous season much better defensively ie. goals conceded. MUST gain points from the struggling teams which had not been done and why automatic promotion has been a step too far. But this season so far so good

lowandhard wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:There was also a kick off the ball on Labadie in the run up to their goal - if the officials had seen it their player was off.
Yes, they missed a few “ off the ball “ incidents imho including the stamp.
You can't really blame the ref for that hes watching play its the lineo who's on the dead side (play in opposite half) to be the eyes off the ball and fourth official

UPTHEPORT wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:There was also a kick off the ball on Labadie in the run up to their goal - if the officials had seen it their player was off.
Yes, they missed a few “ off the ball “ incidents imho including the stamp.
You can't really blame the ref for that hes watching play its the lineo who's on the dead side (play in opposite half) to be the eyes off the ball and fourth official
Don’t disagree mate but it stretches credulity that none of them saw it , that’s the whole point of the “ diagonal plan “ and why reffing is so much harder on the parks without linos, sorry assistant referees. Even more dubious that the fourth official missed it as well. By the way , I felt the ref handled the game reasonably well apart from missing a few incidents which I put down to insufficient assistance from the aforesaid assistants.

excessbee wrote:Didn't realise that was in the remit of the fourth official. I thought his duty was oversight of off the pitch matters. I suppose if its something he happens to see, he may make a contribution if asked.
4th official in the Salford v Grimsby game last week chalked off a goal allowed by the ref. I think it was Matt Green who joined the defensive Salford wall for a Grimsby free kick which they scored from. New law this season prevents an attacker joining the wall. However, ref was happy with the goal and was about to restart the game at halfway when 4th official drew his attention to the mistake. Free kick was then awarded to Salford. Grimsby lost 1-0.

Morganrum wrote:

That’s an excellent synopsis , it’s just a pity that your manger thinks you’re a better footballing side than what you are. Another manager coming to Rodney parade claiming you couldn’t play your game and got involved in a battle. If only opposing managers couldn’t just be a little more respectful. You picked up 4 yellow cards, a stamp , a definite penalty compared to an innocuous yellow for Sheehan after just 10 minutes.
Hi.

We do have some decent players and when given the time we can play attractive football, as I think we showed in the first 20 minutes. All credit to Newport for coming back into it, and dominating most of the rest of the game. I wouldn't want anyone to misinterpret our gaffers comments, as he was respectful and praising of County, and he knows you will be in the shake up come the end of the season.

I've just watched the game back on iFollow (with the aid of the fast forward button!!), and had a better view of some of the incidents that have been discussed by many on here, I fear you may not agree with some of my thoughts, however I would be interested if anybody else has access to the footage, as it gives a better view than the one at the match when, of course, you just get what immediately happened, so have to rely on your gut instinct. These comments are after watching some of the incidents a few times over.

Agree the Sheehan booking was soft, he did leave a foot in but nothing malicious (there was a foul by Labadie in the build up to this incident though).

There have been a few comments about the retaking of the corner which led to our goal. When watching it back, the ref is shouting at one player from each side who were grappling in the six yard box, I think it was Labadie and Bowman, and he was still looking at them, and blew his whistle a split second after the corner was struck. He didn't see the corner being taken, and therefore I believe he made the right call to retake. There were no complaints from any of the players at the time.

Now the main two talking points, Law was rightly booked for the first incident, but the second was a straight 50/50 with Sheehan, who looked in absolute agony as he hit the deck, but was up within 15 seconds to take the free kick, and even grinning at Law as he picked him up.

Then the 'stamp'. At first glance it did look like a stamp. I think it was on Sheehan again? But having watched it several times over, it looks to me that they both tangled for the ball, as our player (Martin) got up he tried to put his foot down, and even made a second movement to put his foot down between the County players legs. Again he was up and fine once the kick was not given. Some contact no doubt, but in my very humble opinion, not a stamp and thankfully no damage done.

As I said, I wouldn't expect everyone to agree, but just my opinions.

PS The commentary on iFollow was from our local radio station and they were very complimentary about County. Fully expect you to be play offs at least, and won't drop many points at home.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

larrywilkie wrote:
Morganrum wrote:

Hi.

We do have some decent players and when given the time we can play attractive football, as I think we showed in the first 20 minutes. All credit to Newport for coming back into it, and dominating most of the rest of the game. I wouldn't want anyone to misinterpret our gaffers comments, as he was respectful and praising of County, and he knows you will be in the shake up come the end of the season.

I've just watched the game back on iFollow (with the aid of the fast forward button!!), and had a better view of some of the incidents that have been discussed by many on here, I fear you may not agree with some of my thoughts, however I would be interested if anybody else has access to the footage, as it gives a better view than the one at the match when, of course, you just get what immediately happened, so have to rely on your gut instinct. These comments are after watching some of the incidents a few times over.

Agree the Sheehan booking was soft, he did leave a foot in but nothing malicious (there was a foul by Labadie in the build up to this incident though).

There have been a few comments about the retaking of the corner which led to our goal. When watching it back, the ref is shouting at one player from each side who were grappling in the six yard box, I think it was Labadie and Bowman, and he was still looking at them, and blew his whistle a split second after the corner was struck. He didn't see the corner being taken, and therefore I believe he made the right call to retake. There were no complaints from any of the players at the time.

Now the main two talking points, Law was rightly booked for the first incident, but the second was a straight 50/50 with Sheehan, who looked in absolute agony as he hit the deck, but was up within 15 seconds to take the free kick, and even grinning at Law as he picked him up.

Then the 'stamp'. At first glance it did look like a stamp. I think it was on Sheehan again? But having watched it several times over, it looks to me that they both tangled for the ball, as our player (Martin) got up he tried to put his foot down, and even made a second movement to put his foot down between the County players legs. Again he was up and fine once the kick was not given. Some contact no doubt, but in my very humble opinion, not a stamp and thankfully no damage done.

PS The commentary on iFollow was from our local radio station and they were very complimentary about County. Fully expect you to be play offs at least, and won't drop many points at home.

Out of interest did it show the kick on Labadie on the far post and off the ball? He lashed out and kicked him in the shin..
Good luck to you for the rest of the season too.

Fourthousand wrote:
larrywilkie wrote:
Morganrum wrote:

Hi.

Out of interest did it show the kick on Labadie on the far post and off the ball? He lashed out and kicked him in the shin..
Good luck to you for the rest of the season too.
Hi, not that I noticed, but I was trying to skip through a bit. There were a couple of incidents involving Ladabie that went unpunished, including one where he looked over his shoulder and saw our skipper running towards him and he deliberately stepped across and hit him with his shoulder, and a least one I can remember where he left a boot in late that went unnoticed. He is certainly more than capable of looking after himself.

That being said there is no excuse for kicking out even if in retaliation.

I do remember one of our players doing that, I think it was Dean Moxey, so that may be the incident you are referring to. I saw it first hand at the game, but didn't see if it was on camera.