Re: Ruthless

Padraig not fired all season.
Jamille missed 4 yesterday.
Thank goodness for Tristan.
The new fella from Crawley maybe worth a start up front next Saturday and bring Padraig on in second half.
Looks like Jamille is out anyway.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Padraig not fired all season.
The new fella from Crawley maybe worth a start up front next Saturday and bring Padraig on in second half.
So Podge five goals before end of September not firing drop him (some of our forwards in recent years have struggled to get to five by the end of the season) but thank goodness for Tristan two goals - really!!

County ranger wrote:
So Podge five goals before end of September not firing drop him (some of our forwards in recent years have struggled to get to five by the end of the season) but thank goodness for Tristan two goals - really!!
Yes correct.
Tristan made all the difference yesterday.
Podge has scored like you say but virtually every one was a sitter and you forget he missed a pen last time he tried.
he has also missed a lot so far.
Like Jamille yesterday
Very good player never stops trying but currently Abrahams needs to start.
Funny old thing you get some supporters who will not accept certain players are not at their best.
Love is blind!!

I think there may be a multitude of reasons for why the strikers are not quite firing so far this season.

Primarily both Podge and Jamma are possibly being marked far more heavily than last season. I'm sure many teams simply realise that without the goals from these two we have very little in regards to goal-scoring threats. The midfielders don't score enough. Have often do you see a midfielder take a speculative shot? Not often, not even if they are in a decent position to do so. Our central defenders rarely hit the target from set-piece play. Headers from corners invariably are high or wide or often both. Surely heading balls is practiced?. County are fairly predictable in their play. Willmott doesn't go to the bye-line enough to provide Matt with a ball that he's running onto. Too often he cuts inside and plays a lob into Matt that he cannot powerfully re-direct.

Football is fundamentally not a difficult game to play. Video analysis should identify what County's players do well and what they need to improve on doing. Analysing videos of Premiership or Championship games could identify how some of the better teams in the English system get their goals or how they vary their threat. I don't know whether County do any of this. I believe they possibly analyse their next opponents but that is an effort to identify weaknesses in their opponents game. Do they look at strengths and whether County could replicate these with their own players?

Frank I don’t disagree with you on Abrahams a very exciting signing before the team was annouced yesterday I thought he would be better from the bench as an impact sub and he certainly was that.
I think he is an excellent player but whilst it is early days needs to add goals to his game. Podge is a proven goal scorer not the quickest but has the knack whether he is playing well or not and I think plays better with Matt, this partnership has not had a run this year for a number of reasons.
Don’t be hard on any of our forwards I think we have the best mix for many years which gives Flynn an opportunity to mix it up and change attack notably from guile to speed as the game demands.

County ranger wrote:
It's testament to Amond's previous ability that some people think five goals isn't doing very well - I can understand he's not being clinical in front of goal, but five goals AND the workrate he gives is a good going. Abrahams looks solid at holding the ball up and linking play up front too, and Matt gives us an aerial threat and his partnership with Abrahams looks interesting as well as the one he has with Amond. Poleon it remains to be seen, but we've got at least three good-looking combinations which should hold us in good stead for flexing tactically and in the event of an injury (or suspension).

We do need to find some more goals from somewhere. I don't think Matt's main role in the team is goals as he's the one which holds it up and brings others in to play. I'd never expect him to get near 20 in a season. More goals from midfield is what I'd expect and I think they all need to add that to their game as I can't see one of them making double figures in goals. I have to add though when we play pretty direct and get the ball forward so quickly inevitably the forwards are going to be isolated and there is little chance of the midfield joining in with them in the attacking third. Still, in and around the play-offs at this point in the season is just fine. Saturday will be a good test at Swindon.