Re: Mike you need to say no straitaway

Bush wrote:Football fans are proper weirdo's! as long as he has been given permission to speak to another club by the board he doesn't have to inform anyone else. and before the usual people point out we own the club and he answers to us we don't infact own the club we only raised the money for the trust to own and run the club.
Neat link to UTP post. When I was a Union shop steward many years ago. NALGO/UNISON since you ask I was forever getting the complaint about what the union was or not doing. As I said every time, you are the union. I feel the same about the trust, we are the trust.

Doesn't happen often Bush, but on this occasion I think you are utterly wrong.

Football seems to operate around a different set of circumstances to most walks of life.if a manager does well he gets noticed does bad he gets sacked.if we lost 10 on the bounce same people wouldn’t expect the board to keep him and see out his contract.the man was givien permission to speak to Lincoln chose not to go end of story was doing the job he is paid for before and after. Just a question but if he did leave and we approached another clubs manager who decided to leave and join us would people be mis trusting the new manager as he wasn’t loyal to his previous by seeing out his contract or would it then be well that is part and parcel of the football world

phil crump wrote:Football seems to operate around a different set of circumstances to most walks of life.if a manager does well he gets noticed does bad he gets sacked.if we lost 10 on the bounce same people wouldn’t expect the board to keep him and see out his contract.the man was givien permission to speak to Lincoln chose not to go end of story was doing the job he is paid for before and after. Just a question but if he did leave and we approached another clubs manager who decided to leave and join us would people be mis trusting the new manager as he wasn’t loyal to his previous by seeing out his contract or would it then be well that is part and parcel of the football world
The point being though that whilst if Flynn were to lose ten on the bounce he would still demand, rightly, that his contract be honoured. That is he would be paid off. If Flynn is going to interview with other clubs then the club could theoretically sack him for breach of contract.
We can't have a situation whereby the manager is having interviews and the club simply being grateful every time he deigns to remain. That is not a criticism of Flynn but a criticism to our reaction. I can understand the temptation as Michael Flynn has been a very successful manager. My view is that the board should accept that Flynn will leave at the end of his contract and make it clear that until that time we will not countenance an approach from any other club.

Otherwise my belief remains that Michael Flynn is bigger than our club and for me that is unacceptable.

If Flynny was from Bristol,Birmingham or wherever,I could understand him treating it as a job and be looking for better if it's available.The fact that he is from Pill and tells us he loves Newport and would do anything for the club.Then we find that he has had interviews with various clubs and is looking to move on at the right price,that's what doesn't sit easy with me.Of course he has done brilliantly for the club but,I would expect more loyalty.Afterall,GF gave him a job that didn't exist before or since just to keep him involved,Commercial consultant or something,so I expect more from Flynny.

Interviews at other clubs would only put him in breach of contract if there is clause in his contract that denies him that. I'd have thought that provided it is all above board, as in a proper approach from one club to another, he's not broken his contract by being interviewed. If other clubs are interested and he decide to stay at Newport, or comes second at interview, then we are quids in. Don't forget much of the hype is generated by betting websites and unofficial message boards.

I fail to see how he is in breach of contract if the club have given him permission of course totally different story if they don’t.and I would hope that the board or indeed MF himself would accept or expect patience and understanding from fans if this scenario played out several times but I would ask you to think of this during his fledgling managerial career this is the first time he has found himself in this position so to my mind he may feel he has done everything the right way and lessons will have been learned when this rises again and if I were on the board I would be pushing for his contract to be improved so when the inevitable happened so would our compensation leverage increase thus given us ample opportunity to attract a suitable replacement

Percy plunkett wrote:If Flynny was from Bristol,Birmingham or wherever,I could understand him treating it as a job and be looking for better if it's available.The fact that he is from Pill and tells us he loves Newport and would do anything for the club.Then we find that he has had interviews with various clubs and is looking to move on at the right price,that's what doesn't sit easy with me.Of course he has done brilliantly for the club but,I would expect more loyalty.Afterall,GF gave him a job that didn't exist before or since just to keep him involved,Commercial consultant or something,so I expect more from Flynny.
Bit of role reversal here. The thing is it's unfair to expect loyalty in football. Clubs sack managers who don't get results. Flynn has a family to feed. The upshot of this is that everyone involved knows the score.

If you expect loyalty in football then you are a supporter.

Brendan,Flynny keeps telling us that he is one of us.One of us wouldn't jump ship the first offer we get.If your insider was correct then that put him on £2250 a week,that's pretty high for little old Newport County.He has done great for the club but,the club has done great by him also.It appears L1 clubs are unwilling to match or increase that so that shows the club has looked after him.The Pill boy needs to realise that and demonstrate that he loves the club as much as he says and sign a extended contract with no pay rise and reject any offers,unless it was too good to say no.It appears though,that he is open to all offers which,is messing us about.

I think the precarious nature of a football manager's job means that they are all open to offers at any time. Moving on is inevitable but that doesn't only depend on financial consideration. I'm guessing Flynn is possibly in a unique situation of his first management post being with his home town club. That means the ties to the area are considerations that don't apply to other itinerant managers.

excessbee wrote:I think the precarious nature of a football manager's job means that they are all open to offers at any time. Moving on is inevitable but that doesn't only depend on financial consideration. I'm guessing Flynn is possibly in a unique situation of his first management post being with his home town club. That means the ties to the area are considerations that don't apply to other itinerant managers.
I suspect it's all about money. Lincoln no doubt offered more but not enough to make the move worthwhile. Lincoln means moving house. Anywhere within a two hour drive doesn't.

excessbee wrote:I think the precarious nature of a football manager's job means that they are all open to offers at any time. Moving on is inevitable but that doesn't only depend on financial consideration. I'm guessing Flynn is possibly in a unique situation of his first management post being with his home town club. That means the ties to the area are considerations that don't apply to other itinerant managers.
I agree. How many people can you say have been a successful player, coach and then Manager in his home town club. Managerial first stint as well. We all know MF history so probably no need to repeat it here.

We hear a lot about how Managers follow the money and there is sometimes no loyalty. True, MF has stated that he is ambitious and wants to progress. No problem with that at all. However, the Newpôrt connection must not be forgotten. There is definitely an emotional connection for Mike, that is blatantly obvious to me. He will want to leave here with his head held high and quite rightly so.

If you take the emotional connection out of football then it just becomes a numbers and tactics game. For me it is part and parcel of the game and I wouldn't bother if it wasn't for the passion it generates. If I want to see good silky skills and everything else that comes with it I will watch the Premier League, Champions League or the World Cup. For reality football and home town emotion it is the County for me.

MF is in a unique position as you have stated. If he had success in his first stint at another club I doubt very much whether that clubs fans would be debating the issue as we are. The emotional connection currently works in our favour. He will be gone one day, hopefully not for a year or so. I think when he goes he will leave as a L1 Manager. He has Championship potential at the moment. I would say that one of his old clubs like Wigan will be future favourites for his signature. All speculation of course.

Perhaps the emotional tie is partially lost on those who don't regularly experience the connection with supporters at home and away. It's not just results and a league table. Swindon on Saturday was a clear example. At another club MF would have to build that from scratch. At Newport the foundation was laid down in the run in to that match against Notts County.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
I suspect it's all about money. Lincoln no doubt offered more but not enough to make the move worthwhile. Lincoln means moving house. Anywhere within a two hour drive doesn't.
I’m sure there are emotional ties to the club ( he’d have to be a robot not to have ) but here Stan has surely got this right. The best move for him is surely to a geographically close but more successful club. A further consideration may be that it appears his family has business interests locally, whether they would be happy to run them “ remotely “ I have no idea but a move to somewhere nearby would be bound to be easier.