Re: Flynny new deal

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:How are we expected to fit an extra season in between now and the summer of 2022!
Quite right Colin. A point I see Percy had all ready made but you are correct I misread 2022 for 2023.

Which in my view makes the decision by the club less poor but one I still disagreed we with.

And to be clear whilst I attach no blame to Flynn it remains my view that the club have allowed themselves to be messed around by an employee and the response of the club is to increase that employees pay.

I think that is damaging to our club. It is damaging because if we are to progress every individual must be seen to be smaller than the club. That is my view with which you are all entitled to disagree.
You appear to be confusing football clubs with other types of business. It's not like we can just swap him for another manager who will get similar results for a similar pay packet.

We have stumbled across a manager who can get massive results from a small budget. We had about 4 managers in a row who couldn't do that previously.

Results are what matters, and I'm happy to give him what it takes for him to see the job through, because our chances of finding someone else to do it are slim based on the evidence.

George Street-Bridge wrote:There's no misrepresentation. I just quoted your own recent words right back at you.

Of course an improved contract means better terms or it wouldn't be improved, would it?

And I'll repeat, there is no such thing as a going rate. All anyone can do is speculate about the highest and lowest salaries and Mr Redwood would have been guessing.
I think Mr Redwood being the CEO or a similar position would know every bodies salary working for the County.

I have no idea what Flynny is being paid, but do know that renewed/extended contracts in the football world usually attract a 10% pay rise. If the figure banded about on here in terms of his last contract was anywhere near accurate then he would have been earning more (much more) than his League 2 counterparts. A couple of years ago I saw some official figures that showed the Lge2 average salary for a manager was £45K.

Regardless, my view is that Flynny is and has been worth every penny. He's brought in an increased income through cup runs and a play-off final, raised the club's profile and shown he can be trusted to develop players sent on loan by bigger teams. I'd personally like to have seen him develop and use our own home-grown youth a little more, but he's started to do this during 2019-20.

So, overall, very pleased he's committed to a longer contract, something which helps stability and puts both him and us in the shop window.

George Street-Bridge wrote:And what about the angle of extended contracts extending a club's right to compensation?
I don't know the details of any release clause, or indeed if there is one.

However if one accepts your presumption there would be the possibility of increased compensation. Which of course is a double edged sword if things go wrong.

However George you are utterly missing my point. It is my view that if any individual becomes bigger than the club that situation is unacceptable. For me it doesn't matter how good a manager or player is once a player, as in Labadie or a manager like Flynn is seen to be more powerful than the club we are on a dangerous road.

You can disagree with my view but it remains my view.

The details of Flynn’s contract have not been disclosed. Is he incentivised by bonuses that rely on him bringing extra cash into the club? Contributory stuff like cup runs, larger crowds, promotion, sale of players etc. Is it the case that an improved contract for Flynn leaves the future playing budget denuded to some degree? We elected Directors to make the decisions associated with the manager’s contract, so I’m happy to let them get on with it. I’m pleased that he’s committed to us for the duration.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: You can disagree with my view but it remains my view.
Let's start with the basics. Which is true?

"I don't know whether Flynn thinks he is bigger than the club or not", or "Mike Flynn knows that however he behaves he will be unchallenged by the board of directors" ?
Both.

Flynn doesn't think he is bigger than the club, I think that he is. I really fail to see why that concept is beyond you.

Michael Flynn had an interview with Lincoln City. Spent a few days thinking it over. Decided not to leave. And negotiated a better deal for himself. All of this in the full glare of us all. That to me shows him to be bigger than the club. Flynn has stated he is not bigger than the club. I have no doubt he believes that. I don't believe he is correct on that.

George, you really don't get nuance do you?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

"I don't know whether Flynn thinks he is bigger than the club or not", or "Mike Flynn knows that however he behaves he will be unchallenged by the board of directors" ?
Both.

Flynn doesn't think he is bigger than the club, I think that he is. I really fail to see why that concept is beyond you.

Michael Flynn had an interview with Lincoln City. Spent a few days thinking it over. Decided not to leave. And negotiated a better deal for himself. All of this in the full glare of us all. That to me shows him to be bigger than the club. Flynn has stated he is not bigger than the club. I have no doubt he believes that. I don't believe he is correct on that.

He’s in good company then Brend seeing as Rooney, De Gea etc did pretty much the same thing to Man Utd & they’re one of the world’s biggest clubs.
Doesn’t mean they’re bigger than the club but the clubs know their worth to them.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Both.

He’s in good company then Brend seeing as Rooney, De Gea etc did pretty much the same thing to Man Utd & they’re one of the world’s biggest clubs.
Doesn’t mean they’re bigger than the club but the clubs know their worth to them.
I don't follow Manchester United but assuming you are correct I would have to disagree.

Alex Ferguson giving a lecture on management at Harvard Business School said that it didn't matter how good a player was, if that player didn't understand that his position was one of servant to the club he would be gone. No exceptions

I think Ferguson was right. Love him or loathe him his record speaks for itself.

As I keep saying that is my view. It is the job of the directors to make these decisions, I don't have a problem with that. I just think that the decision was wrong. I fail to see what the debate is about. I have given my reasons why I think they're wrong and whilst I respect that most people disagree I have heard nothing which changes my mind.