Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: You can disagree with my view but it remains my view.
Let's start with the basics. Which is true?

"I don't know whether Flynn thinks he is bigger than the club or not", or "Mike Flynn knows that however he behaves he will be unchallenged by the board of directors" ?
Both.

Flynn doesn't think he is bigger than the club, I think that he is. I really fail to see why that concept is beyond you.

Michael Flynn had an interview with Lincoln City. Spent a few days thinking it over. Decided not to leave. And negotiated a better deal for himself. All of this in the full glare of us all. That to me shows him to be bigger than the club. Flynn has stated he is not bigger than the club. I have no doubt he believes that. I don't believe he is correct on that.

George, you really don't get nuance do you?

He’s in good company then Brend seeing as Rooney, De Gea etc did pretty much the same thing to Man Utd & they’re one of the world’s biggest clubs.
Doesn’t mean they’re bigger than the club but the clubs know their worth to them.
I don't follow Manchester United but assuming you are correct I would have to disagree.

Alex Ferguson giving a lecture on management at Harvard Business School said that it didn't matter how good a player was, if that player didn't understand that his position was one of servant to the club he would be gone. No exceptions

I think Ferguson was right. Love him or loathe him his record speaks for itself.

As I keep saying that is my view. It is the job of the directors to make these decisions, I don't have a problem with that. I just think that the decision was wrong. I fail to see what the debate is about. I have given my reasons why I think they're wrong and whilst I respect that most people disagree I have heard nothing which changes my mind.

He should have practiced what he preached then when Rooney threatened to leave in 2010 but ended up getting a nice new deal .
Rooney was not signing a new deal. He didn't threaten to leave before his old contract had expired.

Again I am not blaming Flynn for doing the best he can for himself and his family. I agree that Flynn has a very good record as manager of Newport County. But I would not have made the decision that the directors have. That was and remains my view.

He did threaten to leave before his contract expired, 20mths early, then he did it to Utd again in 2013 when he got another nice new deal.
No he didn't. What he did say was that he wouldn't sign a new contract. In the last year of a contract a players transfer value drops of the edge of a cliff.

But if your analysis was right I would agree Ferguson should have practiced what he preached.

Just think. Mark Byrne was a great player for us. Dan Butler was a great player for us. But they were replaced. Holdsworth and Edinburgh were successful managers for us. But they were replaced.

I hold a view with which you disagree. So what?

Normally agree with you Stan but the problem is we normally go through three duds before find a diamond.

Re: Flynny new deal

mad norm wrote:Mr Flynn now needs to justify his the confidence in his abilities ....Quality attacking football and a shed load of goals,no parking of buses and sitting back on a small lead. Let the rest of the league fear our quality football

Nothing less :cheers:
Agree with you Norm. Had more enjoyment recently on a beach looking at score updates than watching 25% possession. Picking and choosing games for entertainment value this season. Especially now gone over 20 pound to attend.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Cat wrote:Best news we could have had. Amazing that anyone would think that it would be better to ignore the interest in him and risk him leaving.
Well done everyone behind this decision. 99.9% of fans agree.
Morning Cat,

It may well be that 99.9% of supporters disagree with me.

Your point being?
It seems the better the news the more you want to pick at it. You've said repeatedly nothing will change your view, fine. I'm just glad I can enjoy my football club, appreciate the good times (and these are definitely good times) without the need to find fault with everything it does.
By the way Anthony Redmond is hardly relevant to us is he,. He thought he was bigger than the club (he used to talk very patronisingly about Newport County) and thankfully he's gone.

The Cat wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Cat wrote:Best news we could have had. Amazing that anyone would think that it would be better to ignore the interest in him and risk him leaving.
Well done everyone behind this decision. 99.9% of fans agree.
Morning Cat,

It may well be that 99.9% of supporters disagree with me.

Your point being?
It seems the better the news the more you want to pick at it. You've said repeatedly nothing will change your view, fine. I'm just glad I can enjoy my football club, appreciate the good times (and these are definitely good times) without the need to find fault with everything it does.
By the way Anthony Redmond is hardly relevant to us is he,. He thought he was bigger than the club (he used to talk very patronisingly about Newport County) and thankfully he's gone.
Again Cat, I have no problem with you expressing your view. I do have a problem with being misrepresented. No personal criticism of you as I'm sure you have done so inadvertently. I have not said I won't change my view. I have said I have heard nothing to make me change my view.

Now if someone can produce an argument so strong that my view is changed fine. If people made cohesive argument which doesn't change my mind I can respect their view. If people tell me I'm wrong without giving a reason I ignore them. If people make a stupid point I rebut it and if people insult me I have a good laugh.

Now help me with this. I don't know what 99.9% of supporters think. But I genuinely fail to see your point. All I do is say what I think and why. If I was wrong 99.9% of people agreeing with me wouldn't make me right. Why do you think that 99.9% of people agree with you? If that is correct how does that assist your argument?

99.9% of people might believe Mohammed Ali was the greatest. He was a great boxer but Tunney, Louis, Marciano, Holmes and Lewis had better records.

Can I just say that I was one of the few that didn't believe Flynn would go to Lincoln purely because of the lure of getting his hometown club promoted. I recall Stan wanted him sacked merely for talking to Lincoln.

I have no problem with Flynn getting a renewed contract. If you took a figure of a 10% increase in wages for each renewed contract I'm sure the value he has added to the club in increased revenues more than pays for his increased salary.

Well here is my reason why I don’t MF is or is acting like he is bigger than the club
The job he has done attracted interest in his services,not himself acting like look at me look at the job I’m doing come and get me.the club didn’t offer a contract extension after last seasons exploits haven’t read anywhere of MF not being happy about that or that he should of got one over the summer he just got on with his job of getting team ready for this season.as for getting one now the club seem to of planned now for the possibility of him going at some point and he has been rewarded for the job he is doing personally too many factors were involved in him not taking Lincoln job other than mmmmm i,ll go for interview and frighten them into giving me a better deal as if it were a club closer to home higher in the pyramid that would further his career and ambition has he has always said that’s what he would like from management then he would probably have gone and not because he his disloyal or dishonest but because that is the way he would better his career and family life and that is what he is working for.if no one wants this to happen to him ask him to stop doing such a bloody good job with what he has to work with and clubs won’t notice or want him.apart from us who will then moan results and football are crap spirit gone and no desire being shown

wattsville_boy wrote: I recall Stan wanted him sacked merely for talking .
No you don't because I didn't say it.

I said that once it was known that he had been offered the Lincoln job and was considering taking it he should have been placed on gardening leave until the issue was resolved.

I also take the view that he should not have been given an enhanced contract as a reward for not going.

And perhaps more controversially while I would not sack him I think it might be better if he were to leave.

By the way I don't post this up to make you look an idiot. That is simply a byproduct. I post up this because far too many people will like you have a memory lapse and believe that is what I did say.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I said that once it was known that he had been offered the Lincoln job and was considering taking it he should have been placed on gardening leave until the issue was resolved.

I also take the view that he should not have been given an enhanced contract as a reward for not going.

And perhaps more controversially while I would not sack him I think it might be better if he were to leave.

By the way I don't post this up to make you look an idiot. That is simply a byproduct. I post up this because far too many people will like you have a memory lapse and believe that is what I did say.
You may not have expressly said that he should be sacked but you did say that having spoken to Lincoln that his position was untenable and in a later post that he should resign. Surely if his position was untenable and he wouldn't resign then that suggests that he should have been sacked.

wattsville_boy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

You may not have expressly said that he should be sacked but you did say that having spoken to Lincoln that his position was untenable and in a later post that he should resign. Surely if his position was untenable and he wouldn't resign then that suggests that he should have been sacked.
Had I said Michael Flynn should have been sacked for talking to Lincoln I would have said so. I didn't say that and you have misrepresented me.

My opinion of you is not lower because of your claim. I am sure it was not done for a malicious reason. Your failure to withdraw and your attempt to construe a meaning that simply isn't there I am afraid is something which does lower my opinion.

Edit.

To detoxify this. When the late Justin Edinburgh was clearly leaving County I read over and over again on here that Justin loves the County. That was bollox, and I said so. When he left and people called him Judas that too was bollox. And I said so.

We have to stop having ridiculous expectations. I don't say Flynn doesn't have a real affection for County but he will always put his career and family first. So would I.

I think Flynn has been a very good manager but he is not irreplaceable. Nobody is.

I'll ignore all the bluster and semantics surrounding this and instead celebrate what is an excellent piece of business and superb foresight by the club.

If anyone is going to to take us up then it's the man who has just signed a new contract.

Everything else is irrelevant.

rncfc wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
landinho wrote:To the cynics talking rubbish here not long ago, saying Flynn felt he was bigger than the club...

You've got egg on your faces.

Great news and onto a great rainy affair on Saturday
Wrong.

I don't know whether Flynn thinks he is bigger than the club or not. I believe that he is being treated as such by the club and in my view that is unacceptable. Try reading my posts, I have made no criticism of Flynn.

Second point Flynn has a three and a half year contract. In the uncertain world of football management that is one hell of a contract.

Michael Flynn is paid well above the going rate for a League 2 manager and with a deal now stretching for the best part of four seasons, it would appear that Flynn has done very well for himself.

It is properly a decision for the board of directors to make. If it were my decision I would not have made it. It is mere conjecture who is right, the board or me. Time will tell.
If previous subjects are anything to go by, I suspect it will be the board.
Perhaps. :grin:

I missed yesterday rough as, well in fact I missed yesterday full stop though up and about today. MF will get it right long way to go yet. 3 points yesterday or win Friday and I'll take the win Friday and yes I do want promotion we all do. We'll put another run together I'm sure of that it's easy to back people when everything is going well.

rncfc wrote:Christ, a few dodgy performances and people like you seem to actually be enjoying it.

Ipswich are top of the league though, so not the end of the world for you.
If you talked to any fan after Saturday I don’t think you’d find anyone enjoyed the performance or the result and furthermore to suggest that any County fan “ enjoys “ the team failing is frankly ridiculous. While I don’t understand the Ipswich comment, I suspect Maldon & Tiptree will have a few loans from local teams and if we lose on Friday, the opinions and criticisms being made at present will pale into insignificance. The point is after the appalling football lately, fans turned up hoping for a response from the team, they got dross - and are right to be fed up.

The suggestion that the board were wrong to extend Mike Flynns contract because we have played between poorly and averagely for the past 4 or 5 games is pathetic.

Stan appears to get pleasure out of pulling up old threads like this. The probability is that he bookmarks these conversations for future reference and the prospect of being able to say "I told you so" - that is pretty sad.