Re: Flynny new deal

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: You can disagree with my view but it remains my view.
Let's start with the basics. Which is true?

"I don't know whether Flynn thinks he is bigger than the club or not", or "Mike Flynn knows that however he behaves he will be unchallenged by the board of directors" ?
Both.

Flynn doesn't think he is bigger than the club, I think that he is. I really fail to see why that concept is beyond you.

Michael Flynn had an interview with Lincoln City. Spent a few days thinking it over. Decided not to leave. And negotiated a better deal for himself. All of this in the full glare of us all. That to me shows him to be bigger than the club. Flynn has stated he is not bigger than the club. I have no doubt he believes that. I don't believe he is correct on that.

George, you really don't get nuance do you?

He’s in good company then Brend seeing as Rooney, De Gea etc did pretty much the same thing to Man Utd & they’re one of the world’s biggest clubs.
Doesn’t mean they’re bigger than the club but the clubs know their worth to them.
I don't follow Manchester United but assuming you are correct I would have to disagree.

Alex Ferguson giving a lecture on management at Harvard Business School said that it didn't matter how good a player was, if that player didn't understand that his position was one of servant to the club he would be gone. No exceptions

I think Ferguson was right. Love him or loathe him his record speaks for itself.

As I keep saying that is my view. It is the job of the directors to make these decisions, I don't have a problem with that. I just think that the decision was wrong. I fail to see what the debate is about. I have given my reasons why I think they're wrong and whilst I respect that most people disagree I have heard nothing which changes my mind.

He should have practiced what he preached then when Rooney threatened to leave in 2010 but ended up getting a nice new deal .

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

"I don't know whether Flynn thinks he is bigger than the club or not", or "Mike Flynn knows that however he behaves he will be unchallenged by the board of directors" ?
Both.

Flynn doesn't think he is bigger than the club, I think that he is. I really fail to see why that concept is beyond you.

Michael Flynn had an interview with Lincoln City. Spent a few days thinking it over. Decided not to leave. And negotiated a better deal for himself. All of this in the full glare of us all. That to me shows him to be bigger than the club. Flynn has stated he is not bigger than the club. I have no doubt he believes that. I don't believe he is correct on that.

He’s in good company then Brend seeing as Rooney, De Gea etc did pretty much the same thing to Man Utd & they’re one of the world’s biggest clubs.
Doesn’t mean they’re bigger than the club but the clubs know their worth to them.
I don't follow Manchester United but assuming you are correct I would have to disagree.

Alex Ferguson giving a lecture on management at Harvard Business School said that it didn't matter how good a player was, if that player didn't understand that his position was one of servant to the club he would be gone. No exceptions

I think Ferguson was right. Love him or loathe him his record speaks for itself.

As I keep saying that is my view. It is the job of the directors to make these decisions, I don't have a problem with that. I just think that the decision was wrong. I fail to see what the debate is about. I have given my reasons why I think they're wrong and whilst I respect that most people disagree I have heard nothing which changes my mind.

He should have practiced what he preached then when Rooney threatened to leave in 2010 but ended up getting a nice new deal .
Rooney was not signing a new deal. He didn't threaten to leave before his old contract had expired.

Again I am not blaming Flynn for doing the best he can for himself and his family. I agree that Flynn has a very good record as manager of Newport County. But I would not have made the decision that the directors have. That was and remains my view.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Both.

Rooney was not signing a new deal. He didn't threaten to leave before his old contract had expired.

Again I am not blaming Flynn for doing the best he can for himself and his family. I agree that Flynn has a very good record as manager of Newport County. But I would not have made the decision that the directors have. That was and remains my view.

He did threaten to leave before his contract expired, 20mths early, then he did it to Utd again in 2013 when he got another nice new deal.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Both.

He did threaten to leave before his contract expired, 20mths early, then he did it to Utd again in 2013 when he got another nice new deal.
No he didn't. What he did say was that he wouldn't sign a new contract. In the last year of a contract a players transfer value drops of the edge of a cliff.

But if your analysis was right I would agree Ferguson should have practiced what he preached.

Just think. Mark Byrne was a great player for us. Dan Butler was a great player for us. But they were replaced. Holdsworth and Edinburgh were successful managers for us. But they were replaced.

I hold a view with which you disagree. So what?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Both.

No he didn't. What he did say was that he wouldn't sign a new contract. In the last year of a contract a players transfer value drops of the edge of a cliff.

But if your analysis was right I would agree Ferguson should have practiced what he preached.

Just think. Mark Byrne was a great player for us. Dan Butler was a great player for us. But they were replaced. Holdsworth and Edinburgh were successful managers for us. But they were replaced.

I hold a view with which you disagree. So what?

I feel the view you hold is nonsense (as you do mine) and that’s why we’re discussing it, that’s how it works, that’s what.

Exile 1976 wrote:
I feel the view you hold is nonsense (as you do mine) and that’s why we’re discussing it, that’s how it works, that’s what.
I don't think that your view is nonsense. I think that the cost of keeping any individual is too high if it means that they appear to hold the whip hand. It is perfectly possible to hold the view that some individuals are so good that exceptions can be made.

If you read all my comments that is clear. Further it's a decision for the board to make. I just would have made a different decision.

Thinking that a person is wrong does not equate to a person talking nonsense.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:How are we expected to fit an extra season in between now and the summer of 2022!
Quite right Colin. A point I see Percy had all ready made but you are correct I misread 2022 for 2023.

Which in my view makes the decision by the club less poor but one I still disagreed we with.

And to be clear whilst I attach no blame to Flynn it remains my view that the club have allowed themselves to be messed around by an employee and the response of the club is to increase that employees pay.

I think that is damaging to our club. It is damaging because if we are to progress every individual must be seen to be smaller than the club. That is my view with which you are all entitled to disagree.
How could you possibly misread 2022 for 2023? I put it to you you're just shit at maths

Exile 1976 wrote:I don’t understand why people would put anyone in the ‘foe’ list .. even those you disagree with 99.9% of the time will have something to say that you’ll probably like. Besides, why would you only want to read points of views from people you agree with?
not about disagreement - just about pointless bickering and personal arguments that do nothing to further any kind of actual discussion. "you said x" "no i said X" "but look you said x" "no that's X"

maybe I should just get off the forum entirely tbf

I won't be adding you to my foe list Stan, I don't always disagree with you. But you have a habit of fighting the majority, often seemingly for the sake of it.

Yes there's risk in renewing MF's contract just as with any player, but chucking him out to hope there's someone cheaper on the scrap pile would be a bigger risk. Businesses often pay out for the best staff but Flynn is cheaper than hiring some touted manager already at a club seeking compensation.

Most importantly, his results mean he's more than paid for the extension, just in the increased revenue from last year's cup run. Along with the three or four players we've brought in on long term deals.
njbh86 wrote:not about disagreement - just about pointless bickering and personal arguments that do nothing to further any kind of actual discussion. "you said x" "no i said X" "but look you said x" "no that's X"
I would second that... there are much better things to talk about. Amazing that good news like this still gets turned into a debate.