Re: Petty Refereeing?

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:He'd have recd a yellow card for this offence, for preventing the timely restart of the match. Presumably he'd already been booked hence his dismissal. And no - a player sent off can't be replaced so long as he's dismissed either when he's still on the pitch or in the vicinity.

I once dismissed a player 5mins before a game started, for foul and abusive language. But, because his manager hadn't yet handed the teamsheet to me he COULD be replaced, once the teamsheet is in the ref's hands he can't be replaced.
First off before and after the game it's a white paper report and I hope you added a note in your match report team sheet was late being handed in :grin:

UPTHEPORT wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:He'd have recd a yellow card for this offence, for preventing the timely restart of the match. Presumably he'd already been booked hence his dismissal. And no - a player sent off can't be replaced so long as he's dismissed either when he's still on the pitch or in the vicinity.

I once dismissed a player 5mins before a game started, for foul and abusive language. But, because his manager hadn't yet handed the teamsheet to me he COULD be replaced, once the teamsheet is in the ref's hands he can't be replaced.
First off before and after the game it's a white paper report and I hope you added a note in your match report team sheet was late being handed in :grin:
You're spot on. I did submit a white paper otherwise the player would have got off scot free. But team sheets are always handed in late in grassroots football, rules say the ref must have them 30mins before kick off, but this isn't fair on clubs who often find their star player is still at work and rocks up just before ko.

I'm always amazed that league clubs like County, Prem clubs etc hand in their team sheets so early, presumably do Sky etc can pore over the line-ups. If i was the manager I'd leave my team sheet until the last minute.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

You're spot on. I did submit a white paper otherwise the player would have got off scot free. But team sheets are always handed in late in grassroots football, rules say the ref must have them 30mins before kick off, but this isn't fair on clubs who often find their star player is still at work and rocks up just before ko.

I'm always amazed that league clubs like County, Prem clubs etc hand in their team sheets so early, presumably do Sky etc can pore over the line-ups. If i was the manager I'd leave my team sheet until the last minute.
Premier League and EFL sheets have to be in at least an hour before kick off according to the league rules (I forget exactly how long - it might be exactly an hour, but clubs with decent social media teams always get them out on the hour).

It's 75 minutes before in the Carabao Cup: https://www.efl.com/carabao-cup/about-t ... gulations/ (section 7)

Also 75 mins before kick off in the Premier League p175 Rule L21 here: https://premierleague-static-files.s3.a ... 220819.pdf (along with another rule that says both teamsheets have to be given to the "match manager" as soon as possible after the ref.

EDIT: Also 75 minutes before kick off in the EFL: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... -fixtures/
"33.5 List of Players to be handed to Referee. A representative of each Club must hand copies of a list of names of Players taking part in the game (including the name of the nominated substitute or substitutes) ('Team Sheet') to the Referee and a representative of the opponents in the presence of the Referee in the Referee’s dressing room at least 75 (seventy five) minutes before the advertised time of kick-off. The Team Sheet shall indicate the full names of Players and shall indicate the colour of the Goalkeeper’s shirt. Neither Club shall publish the teams or otherwise provide details of the teams to any third party (other than League appointed broadcast partners) until 60 (sixty) minutes before the advertised time of kick-off."

Stan A. Einstein wrote: I'm sure he would have been okay coming off the pitch in front of Cliftonville supporters. There is a clip of the fans from Solitude on a cold December evening responding to sectarian chanting by bursting into a chorus of 'We wish you a merry Christmas'. Now whether his reception would have been less friendly had he done something provocative like pretending to play a flute I'm not sure.
You have made my point about the rule for me. Unless the wording tells referees to let common sense override it if necessary - I haven't read it. "Strikes me the rule ignores player safety" doesn't mean just one game.
George the issue is whether going to celebrate a goal in front of opposing fans is a stupid thing to do. In my view it is. In your view it doesn't matter.
You're getting your threads mixed up. And I can only remember commenting on one case, which didn't particularly bother me.
There's nothing more to be said.
Plainly there is.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: I'm sure he would have been okay coming off the pitch in front of Cliftonville supporters. There is a clip of the fans from Solitude on a cold December evening responding to sectarian chanting by bursting into a chorus of 'We wish you a merry Christmas'. Now whether his reception would have been less friendly had he done something provocative like pretending to play a flute I'm not sure.

You have made my point about the rule for me. Unless the wording tells referees to let common sense override it if necessary - I haven't read it. "Strikes me the rule ignores player safety" doesn't mean just one game.
George the issue is whether going to celebrate a goal in front of opposing fans is a stupid thing to do. In my view it is. In your view it doesn't matter.
You're getting your threads mixed up. And I can only remember commenting on one case, which didn't particularly bother me.
There's nothing more to be said.
Plainly there is.
No George, you were having a little dig and I had one back. All rather pathetic from both of us don't you think?

George Street-Bridge wrote:Not at all. I'm just offering genuine opinions on football issues.

You need to grasp that you don't loom as large in my thoughts as I do in yours.
'...... he was directed by the ref towards the away supporters!'

Seriously George? I might just have believed you but for the exclamation mark.

As I said, pathetic little dig by you and equally pathetic of me to reply in kind. I have to say that the sad little efforts of some to mess up the man of match thread is annoying. I think on reflection we are no better.

Time to stop eh?

Just to add to the discussion about player safety, the rule was (on the advice of the local police) waived for the Portsmouth v Southampton match the other week - not surprising considering the flack players got just trying to retrieve the ball.

Still, Danny Ings seemed to cope ok... :wink:
In case you're wondering, the thumbs up are from a Saints fan in the disabled section, which was in the front of the Fratton End and as far from the rest of the away fans as you could get - rather him than me. :shock: