Re: Rivalries

That article SJG99 links to is interesting in a "What the heck happened there?" kind of way though it also makes me despair at Liverpool fans placing Everton only 4th in their list, and Man City rating Liverpool higher than United. I blame millennials.

During my formative years we seemed to play Hereford on the bank holidays. There was always "bother" getting to and from the match, so (in my mind's eye) that was always our derby game / chief rivalry.

I wonder if there's consensus among Hereford supporters as to who their dream bank holiday opponent would be? I dare say there would be among their fans of a certain age.

I subscribe to the view that for a rivalry to really count it has to be felt equally on both sides, without which it's a bit pathetic on the part of the smaller party.

On that basis we don't currently have any. No-one much under 40 would have any memory of us playing Cardiff other than their reserves in the FAW Cup.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Wait and see how things go if we ever get drawn against each other in the FA Cup....you’ll see the rivalry still exists.
We are no ones main rival.

Ask yourself this. Ask any Chester fan who their main rival is and they will say Wrexham. Not Tranmere or Crewe or Macclesfield. Ask any Ipswich supporter and it's Norwich not the considerably closer Colchester.

Can you name one club who would cite Newport?
Can you name one club who would cite Everton?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Wait and see how things go if we ever get drawn against each other in the FA Cup....you’ll see the rivalry still exists.

Ask yourself this. Ask any Chester fan who their main rival is and they will say Wrexham. Not Tranmere or Crewe or Macclesfield. Ask any Ipswich supporter and it's Norwich not the considerably closer Colchester.

Possibly Hereford

Blackandamber wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Can you name one club who would cite Everton?
My point. When I went to the Cup tie in 1981 between Liverpool and Everton there was no doubt that Liverpool and Everton were major rivals. That was when Everton were a big club. On a different scale but you make my point.

I don't know whether they had the option to decline the invitation to enter that competition, but matches on a Saturday must mean rearrangements on Tuesdays. It may bring in revenue but surely not much, and the risk of injury to players may impact on what they thought would be a promotion push but looks like a relegation fight. Something like the FAW invitation Cup I can understand, but not this weird Scotish/Welsh/Irish mish mash.