Bottom of League 2

Not sure if I've managed to paste the link properly below, but 'renowned' fans website the92.net has run a survey which lists all Lge 2 clubs in a table based on scores awarded by visiting fans for things like location, atmosphere, stewarding etc. Not sure how County ended up bottom of the table, I've been to Swindon, Colchester, Port Vale and a few others and all are worse than RP.

https://www.the92.net/stats/league-two/ ... aQx_EZKjcs

Re: Bottom of League 2

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Not sure if I've managed to paste the link properly below, but 'renowned' fans website the92.net has run a survey which lists all Lge 2 clubs in a table based on scores awarded by visiting fans for things like location, atmosphere, stewarding etc. Not sure how County ended up bottom of the table, I've been to Swindon, Colchester, Port Vale and a few others and all are worse than RP.

https://www.the92.net/stats/league-two/ ... aQx_EZKjcs
Complete joke, the facilities for away fans at RP are arguably better than for home fans. To rate the New Lawn above RP is another laugh. In any case, look how few people come here , let alone take the trouble to vote, they'd rate us highly if they managed to get a win :grin:

Corpaboy wrote:Interesting to see that Newport overall is ranked 2nd in the WHOLE Football League , including Premiership , for the best places for away fans to enjoy a few beers before and after games !
2nd only to Newcastle .....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... t-20636002
That survey is not about quality or a fans' vote, though.It's just a count of how many pubs are within a certain distance of the ground. Town centre grounds will always win out.

Corpaboy wrote:Interesting to see that Newport overall is ranked 2nd in the WHOLE Football League , including Premiership , for the best places for away fans to enjoy a few beers before and after games !
2nd only to Newcastle .....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... t-20636002
It's an important point. For many of us, going for a meal / beer before and after a game with friends and family is a big part of a day out at the football. Having a good range of bars, restaurants and pubs within striking distance of our ground is one of many factors which have seen attendances grow on what they were ten years ago.

Something to remember when people call for us to return to Spytty Park or move to some other plot of land in the faraway suburbs of Newport if our tenancy at Rodney Parade is under threat.

Good Evening!

Our family experience when coming to watch the County is probably more akin to the away supporters. We travel a good distance and make a day of it. So generally arrive and park up in town, go to a restaurant/pub for a meal, wander around the shops for a bit before walking across the bridge for the game.
When we were at Spytty we would stop beforehand, around Bristol area as we passed. I love the location of the ground being close to the city centre. Also my daughter has several times came down from Nottingham on the train and we would meet her at the station, again only ten minutes walk from town centre etc.
Match day must be good for local businesses and everything should be done to encourage away fans to visit the town before the match. Often they are straight off the coach at the ground and don’t see the city at all!

Phil in Northampton

I bloody love coming home to watch County now, because town (aka city centre) is always awesome for cheap and varied drink options, and Friars Walk has hugely improved the food choices too. Rodney Parade would be in a perfect location if it was about 100 yards wider with a bit more space for facilities.

Somerton Park was great, but mainly because it was near my house and I didn't know any different. Spytty was alright for what it was, but that location probably can't cope with matchday traffic in the League, and if you weren't driving you didn't have many options. Wasn't a fan of the bar on site, mainly due to the need to drive. I guess a hypothetical redevelopment (with the running track shifted somewhere else) would be ok, but there would need to be a way to use the city centre and get to the ground conveniently (match tickets with free or subsidised bus travel or something).

SJG99 wrote:I bloody love coming home to watch County now, because town (aka city centre) is always awesome for cheap and varied drink options, and Friars Walk has hugely improved the food choices too. Rodney Parade would be in a perfect location if it was about 100 yards wider with a bit more space for facilities.

Somerton Park was great, but mainly because it was near my house and I didn't know any different. Spytty was alright for what it was, but that location probably can't cope with matchday traffic in the League, and if you weren't driving you didn't have many options. Wasn't a fan of the bar on site, mainly due to the need to drive. I guess a hypothetical redevelopment (with the running track shifted somewhere else) would be ok, but there would need to be a way to use the city centre and get to the ground conveniently (match tickets with free or subsidised bus travel or something).
I think something would be a brilliant idea

mad norm wrote:I think something would be a brilliant idea
Teleport from my house on the south coast (of England) would be nice. At least County had the decency to wait 10 years after I decided to leave (7 years after I actually did) before getting themselves back in the League. :roll:

For many away fans being sat in a temporary uncovered stand is their experience. For those who pay more they are in a stand which faces directly into the setting sun on sunny days and offers very little protection from the rain on wet days.

I can see why away supporters rank the Rodney Parade experience as not overly good.