Re: Bottom of League 2

I would suggest that 90% of visiting supporters don't sit in the open terrace, as it's often not open because of numbers. The policy seems to be an initial allocation of whatever their Bisley section holds (650?), with more available (north terrace) later but rarely requested. A recent post by NGR indicates the average away attendance (for this season) is 443. Colchester offer us a vast area of covered seating but it's an awful ground to visit.

excessbee wrote:I would suggest that 90% of visiting supporters don't sit in the open terrace, as it's often not open because of numbers. The policy seems to be an initial allocation of whatever their Bisley section holds (650?), with more available (north terrace) later but rarely requested. A recent post by NGR indicates the average away attendance (for this season) is 443. Colchester offer us a vast area of covered seating but it's an awful ground to visit.
I stand to be corrected, but I believe the Bisley Stand away section holds approx 400...
The numbers of away fans visiting last season, indicates that the South Stand would have been needed on just 6 occasions (if my figure of 400 is correct)....The season before, was just 5 occasions.
Moreover, in the last 53 home league games (2 full seasons + 7 this season), the TOTAL number of away fans stands at 17429...an average of 328...with the "400" exceeded on just 14 occasions in 53 games.

excessbee wrote:Thank you. My figure was a guess. Your figures bear out my general observation that away supporters don't generally see the match from the open terrace. I suppose that doesn't prevent them from commenting on that aspect of the ground even if they were watching from the Bisley.
Just a quick glance at my records, indicates that on at least 3 of those 14 occasions where 400 was exceeded, it was the same team both seasons, Swindon, Exeter & Lincoln (IIRC).

Gentlemen,

The Mean, the Median And the mode. When looking at averages you need to understand what type of statistic you are dealing with and from there you can begin to analyse. The average person has two legs. The average person has 1.9927 legs. Both statements are true.

Now as per away supporters in the open away end it was full(ish) v West Ham. Plymouth, Exeter, there may have been others. All of those supporters were in a temporary, rickety uncovered stand. People who are unhappy with their 'accommodation' at away fixtures are more likely to take part in surveys and complain.

Now it is possible that the sample group of the survey is so low that results are of little use. But there is a survey asking away supporters how they rate away facilities. The result of that is that we are bottom by quite some way.

With respect to Phil in Northampton, he too is wrong. He is only in a position to say what the experience of an away supporter is if he is in the away end. If you look at the grounds County supporters dislike it is usually because they are exposed to the elements. If you think about it we are usually given covered accommodation behind one of the goals. Dagenham, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Portsmouth and so on. We dislike places like Bristol Rovers and Forest Green. So imagine for one moment we had Cheltenham's stadium and they had Rodney Parade. Imagine you got soaked along with 600 others on a wet cold day in January. Do you really not see why some supporters might not share your views how good a stadium Rodney Parade is?

Just to correct your misconception that we are usually given covered accommodation behind the goal. That was so at only twelve grounds last season (including Cheltenham who actually make the side stand available for comfort reasons). So it's pretty much 50/50 with covered side stand. FGR doesn't fit into either category.

Out of all the L2 grounds that I have been to since County returned, Cambridge is shall we say my least favourite due to the lack of any decent f+b in the ground itself. For the general match-day experience it's kinda OK as u can normally get in the outside clubhouse and there's the thai-bar/rest fairly close and a few pubs on the walk from the station.

rgds Dave

UPTHEPORT wrote:Grimsby a s hite hole went there for playoffs weren't allowed to drink anywhere local and a fiver a can of warm beer in the ground

Absolutely shocking
Agree - pretty poor. Did manage to get in the Blundell park hotel bar which is next to the ground by getting there early and not wearing colours-they don't have anyone on the door until 1pm. The bar in the ground is expensive but I guess at least they have one which is better than Cambridge's pretty dire in-ground scenario and Crawley where the beer fridges were empty for the away fans but full for the home ones ..

rgds Dave

Good Evening

Stanley, my comments refer more to the overall day experience rather than the “away fans in the ground “ experience.
I was just emphasising the advantages of a town centre location as opposed to out of town.
I have probably seen County more times away from home than at Newport over the years. I think the expectations are different (mostly) to what one would look for in a home game. Firstly at home you can select the viewing experience that suits you best, ie seating, standing or near the goal, halfway line etc. Generally away fans have little or no choice. The overwhelming factor however is the result! Surprising how the shit smells sweeter when you are winning!

Phil in Northampton