Re: El plastico

If people spend large amounts of money on travelling and tickets to watch other teams, they are not, in my book, plastics - it’s not my bag but I know people who are season ticket holders at PL teams, again, not my choice but it’s a massive commitment both travelling and financial.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:If people spend large amounts of money on travelling and tickets to watch other teams, they are not, in my book, plastics - it’s not my bag but I know people who are season ticket holders at PL teams, again, not my choice but it’s a massive commitment both travelling and financial.
It's like having a long distance relationship though. Why bother when you could find just as much grief and frustration on your own doorstep?

Just weird if you ask me.

JonD wrote:You're a moaning git. Fancy starting a thread for this. I sentence you to watch all four RWC quarter-finals. They're going to be good. You'll feel a new man.
Hmmm, Jon, your sentencing is particularly cruel on a man (as you well know) who does not like the egg chasers. Bit OTT I think! Just as well Jim does not work as a Porter in our hospital - lots of Utd, reds workers there.

I get his point but don't necessarily agree with him. Some of the people here have no way due to finance or geography of getting to Premier/Championship league games, your city included. The only way they can participate in their love of the game is by being a so called 'plastic'. I don't begrudge them that. Come on you reds by the way.

As for the rugby, what a weekend ahead. Looking forward to it. County later as well. Cmon the County. I'll be a non attendee for that one. England doing well at the moment 17/6 ahead. Come on Wales tomorrow.

George Street-Bridge wrote:My recollection is while Liverpool v Man Utd was always a big result, the specific rivalry wasn't. It has been cooked up by Sky.
Since the 19th century there has been a massive rivalry between Manchester and Liverpool. Coined a phrase from that time, Manchester men, Liverpool gentlemen. Certainly when I lived in Liverpool between 1978 and 1981 the Merseyside derby was perceived as the biggest game but the Manchester United game tended to have a visceral edge.

Whilst I disagree that Sky cooked up the rivalry I think Liverpool v Manchester United has certainly taken on a greater intensity than the Manchester or Liverpool city matches and that Sky have certainly aided and abetted this rivalry.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:My recollection is while Liverpool v Man Utd was always a big result, the specific rivalry wasn't. It has been cooked up by Sky.
Since the 19th century there has been a massive rivalry between Manchester and Liverpool. Coined a phrase from that time, Manchester men, Liverpool gentlemen. Certainly when I lived in Liverpool between 1978 and 1981 the Merseyside derby was perceived as the biggest game but the Manchester United game tended to have a visceral edge.

Whilst I disagree that Sky cooked up the rivalry I think Liverpool v Manchester United has certainly taken on a greater intensity than the Manchester or Liverpool city matches and that Sky have certainly aided and abetted this rivalry.
I think the addition of Sky has added to the rivalry. Put a 'hype' edge on it for the masses. However, in my time in the Forces I met lots and lots of Scousers and cockneys/Irish who were manic for this game. I have seen fights break out over this one. Daft really but there you are. Young lads, adrenaline, alcohol, sport and passion - a volatile mix.

For the Scousers, Everton was the friendly rivalry game where they took the piss if they won. Liverpool v Utd was on a different level altogether. Spite was a major contributor when I observed what people were saying. It was nasty then and for some, it still is.

Way, way before Sky I remember the '77 Cup final and even though I had not seen any football for over 2 years, it was a massive game for me then. Not quite on the level of County v CZJ a few years later, but still massive.