Re: Weather

Willthiswork wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Absolutely horrendous rain at moment good test for the pitch
Should help our long ball style of football too! :wink: :grin:
We've definitely had a hell of a lot of rain in the last fortnight, although I note the forecast is for it to stop overnight and be drier from the beginning of next week, so hopeful our next 2 games will be on. Wonder how the Kimberley Park 'Pool' is looking at the moment?
Noted that the Scunthorpe manager has already described us 'direct and physical'. It has become tedious as well as laughable now. Not that it's important in this case, but I've always believed if you don't know what your talking about it's best to say nothing on the subject.

Well, it's a pretty decent level of a professional sport that thousands of young men aspire to. Can't succeed without being physical. As for direct, many people's favourite for promotion, Plymouth, pussy-footed around with the ball in the middle of the park and created nothing. Give me direct any day. Overplaying at our level is a recipe for disaster. I bet FGR fans wished their goalie had been a bit more direct.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Absolutely horrendous rain at moment good test for the pitch
Should help our long ball style of football too! :wink: :grin:
We've definitely had a hell of a lot of rain in the last fortnight, although I note the forecast is for it to stop overnight and be drier from the beginning of next week, so hopeful our next 2 games will be on. Wonder how the Kimberley Park 'Pool' is looking at the moment?
Noted that the Scunthorpe manager has already described us 'direct and physical'. It has become tedious as well as laughable now. Not that it's important in this case, but I've always believed if you don't know what your talking about it's best to say nothing on the subject.
As official match referee for Kimberley Pool , I can say the game is on. Water behind the goal but nothing on the pitch which is utterly remarkable given the amount of rain we’ve had this morning. I bet it’s about six inches deep in mud under the sliver of grass though. I’ve been wondering how the pool was so enormous recently even extending nearly the whole pitch goal to goal , maybe a blocked culvert in Malpas Brook?
As regards the Scunny manager, all a bit sad this trotting out of repetitive nonsense, anyway “ everybody hates us, we don’t care! “

daftasfxxx wrote:All newport parks pitches are off same as last week
What a load of namby-pambys :grin: I’ve played on the old Spytty playing fields when the only way to make progress was to play the ball from “ island “ to “ island “, whatever happened to coarse football? :grin:

You played for the mighty Tintern Abbey mate? With the legendary Darryl Reynolds, Martyn Woodford etc? I've refereed dozens of their games on their 'quaint' pitch with no room for a run-up when taking a corner?

One of the better and more friendly local clubs to officiate, although they've had their fair share of yellow and red cards from me in the past.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:You played for the mighty Tintern Abbey mate? With the legendary Darryl Reynolds, Martyn Woodford etc? I've refereed dozens of their games on their 'quaint' pitch with no room for a run-up when taking a corner?

One of the better and more friendly local clubs to officiate, although they've had their fair share of yellow and red cards from me in the past.
Yes, I played in the mid Eighties with Martyn, Pete Dicker,the Hayward brothers etc, we used to meet in the Rose and Crown for a beer before we played!
Out grudge match was against local rivals Catbrook where old ladies on the touchline would trip you up with their brollies.
It definitely had a wild west feel about it.
Chris