No of County fans at home EFL games so far:

With 7 games played, here are the numbers of Newport County fans attending home EFL games:

TOTAL HOME FANS...............26398
Highest......................................4026 (Exeter City)
Lowest.......................................3482 (Crewe Alex)
AVERAGE HOME FANS...........3771
Match closest to average..........3768 (Scunthorpe)

Listed in order, highest to lowest

Exeter City...............................4026
Plymouth Argyle......................4002
Mansfield Town........................3948
Scunthorpe United...................3768
Port Vale..................................3658
Carlisle United.........................3514
Crewe Alexandra.....................3482

Totals after 7 games last 3 seasons:
2019 - 2020............................26398
2018 - 2019............................21143
2017 - 2018............................22265

As it stands, so far, the number of County fans at home games is 21.63% up on the average over the previous 2 seasons.
In tickets sales, I guess it's worth something like £220k a season more....that's just a guess though!

Thanks for reading,
NGR

Re: No of County fans at home EFL games so far:

UPTHEPORT wrote:Good reading those figures Gar if we continue the run we could get 5000+ crowds

Tuesday will be interesting with chumpions league on TV
If we continue the run until the end of the season we will certainly win promotion and probably do so as Champions. At the moment watching Accrington v Ipswich with about a third of the game gone it's 1-0 to Stanley!!! So if they can do it so can we.

I would hope a town the size of Newport could average at least 5,000 in those circumstances.

I really enjoy reading attendance statistics and I am a Pill boy living in the US.
I follow attendance statistics over here and just wonder is there anything we can learn .
Maybe we need a League 1 and 2 committee to look at what goes on here and are there areas we could benefit from .
For instance :
Schoolboy football is played at 7.30pm on a Friday evening and maybe there are 15 games from schools in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas . —-could be a 25 / 30 mile radius of the city .
It is normal for my local high school to get 4,500 .
One of the university’s in the city average a between 40,000 and 65,000 ! For home games , which start at 1.00pm on a Saturday
There is one university about a 100 miles away that average 105,000 for home games ,
The professional baseball team play about 70 home games a season and average 25,000 / 30,000 .
I know we are a totally different country but is there something we can learn from the way all of these teams market the game and attract these numbers.
Most outdoor stadiums have no cover for spectators and it is a brutal winter in the Eastern USA. So it is not the warm heated, covered stadiums that attract us .
Just a thought ?...

Pirates wrote:I really enjoy reading attendance statistics and I am a Pill boy living in the US.
I follow attendance statistics over here and just wonder is there anything we can learn .
Maybe we need a League 1 and 2 committee to look at what goes on here and are there areas we could benefit from .
For instance :
Schoolboy football is played at 7.30pm on a Friday evening and maybe there are 15 games from schools in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas . —-could be a 25 / 30 mile radius of the city .
It is normal for my local high school to get 4,500 .
One of the university’s in the city average a between 40,000 and 65,000 ! For home games , which start at 1.00pm on a Saturday
There is one university about a 100 miles away that average 105,000 for home games ,
The professional baseball team play about 70 home games a season and average 25,000 / 30,000 .
I know we are a totally different country but is there something we can learn from the way all of these teams market the game and attract these numbers.
Most outdoor stadiums have no cover for spectators and it is a brutal winter in the Eastern USA. So it is not the warm heated, covered stadiums that attract us .
Just a thought ?...
Sh!t tv? :grin: apart from Bill Maher of course :grin:

UPTHEPORT wrote: Tuesday will be interesting with chumpions league on TV
Not on proper telly, but I suppose the way of the world is that more and more people pay for silly subscription TV rather than going and watching a live game. Likewise, I see that because of questionable business decisions by the Football League, fans are able to watch matches tomorrow online for a tenner. Is it any wonder that so many lower/non league clubs are struggling when football is increasingly sold as something to be watched on a screen rather than in person?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I have a sneaky feeling that after a few tight games, Crawley might be the team who get a hammering off us.

Not sure why showing a £10 subscription online game is a problem, it clearly hasn't impacted on County's attendances, and as I've said before, I can't believe anyone who lives locally and could go for £20-ish is going to not go and choose to watch on tv instead.

Meanwhile for exiled fans it's a godsend, as there's no way we'd be able to see as many games otherwise, and it keeps me interested for going to matches live when I get the chance to. Plus they get money off me (and I refuse to get a season subscription and VPN so I'll always be paying the tenner, which is £10 more than they'd get if it wasn't being shown). So it's win-win as far as I can tell.

The fanbase really is growing. Yes, we'll probably get a few hundred less tomorrow night but that's life. It's a night game against not the most attractive team in Crawley , live footy on tv plus after a long shift at work some fans might not quite be up for it , not to mention it ain't cheap these days. We're doing okay and probably averaging more at home so far than was expected at this stage. Well done all !

countymadbel wrote:Does anyone know what our break even number is?
I guess it's a moving beast based on circumstances - this is only my view as to the team and set up we currently have now and based on what I have 'picked up' :

Given that I believe we have overspent by circa £300k (from memory) each recent season (not taking into account extraordinary income like FA Cup monies/TV) then I would hazard a guess that we would need closer to 5,000 to 'breakeven' (the increase in gates this season would probably net off increased costs of putting together a 'better squad/improved contracts).

So a guesstimate from me would be gates close to around 5000 (23*1000* 12) . So still some way to go but we are heading in the right direction. That said it could be FA Cup run costs has been included in the £(300)k and if so and we exit early we don't have to pick up those extra costs associated with Cup travel and player bonuses.

Ps and we always have the option to cut back/trim spending to 'fit'.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I wouldn't blame any club which doesn't publish a "break even" figure. There are so many variables in both directions they are liable to go out of date immediately.

Very true on the publishing side of the coin and there are many variables (a big sponsorship deal or Cup run and/ or league success or indeed a lottery winner lobbing some money in the pot, to cutting costs where necessary) BUT if our Board isn't making some assumptions from which to put together a top level budget and cashflow analysis for a coming season then I would be more than shocked.

It might just be OK when you have some cash in the bank to be 5 or 10% out in your financial awareness and understanding as dipping into it will likely cover the lack of preparedness and financial rigor needed to manage a football club/business....but when you get strangled on cashflow - no not having it, the club must make assumptions of gate receipts but just don't publish what these are.