Re: Joe Ledley

lowandhard wrote:If we were going to sign him I would have thought we’d have heard , at the latest, this week. If not I reckon the deal will have gone “ off the boil “.
Not necessarily, Flynn said he would speak to him this week and then if anything was possible he would train with us first.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Stating the obvious, but if he plays even one game for us he will be identifying himself as a L2 player and clubs higher up might adjust any offers accordingly.
The corollary of this point is that his ability is not in doubt, it is his fitness levels which are. If he plays a few games for us without breaking down, come January he is a much more attractive proposition for a Championship or League 1 club.

Maybe, if there is something in this rumour, we need to be a bit cute here. An intensive effort to get him match fit might well see him sign for a higher club in January. If he is on the cusp of signing, or indeed does sign, much better that he isn't given a run in the team until the January window has passed. If he's then fit, a contract till July ought to suit both parties.

And the corollary to the corollary is the risk that a player in his situation might set out to prove his fitness but wind up proving the opposite. The corollary to the corollary to the corollary is the risk he'll sleepwalk all the way into being an ex-player.

I suppose this is where an agent earns his corn, what's needed is a gig based on fitness to train.

George Street-Bridge wrote:And the corollary to the corollary is the risk that a player in his situation might set out to prove his fitness but wind up proving the opposite. The corollary to the corollary to the corollary is the risk he'll sleepwalk all the way into being an ex-player.

I suppose this is where an agent earns his corn, what's needed is a gig based on fitness to train.
There is always the risk he will breakdown either in training or in a game. His problem is that Cardiff City who have perhaps the greatest insight into this have expressed that they're not interested.

Our problem perhaps is should we take the risk? Someone will and whilst it may end in tears there is the potential for a big reward. And this of course is pretty much life as we know it. You make decisions on imperfect knowledge.