Re: Yellow Cards

papajohn wrote:Now Josh has his 5th yellow and therefore misses the Salford game, it's worth noting that Haynes, McNamara and Sheehan are on four. Can't really do without them can we?
I'm confused. Josh and Sheehan are one and the same player. A post on another thread says Labadie is suspended. That must mean his fifth booking was in his last match (Crawley). I didn't notice this. Anyway, even if he was mysteriously booked, the suspension would have been the Colchester match. I've looked on the FA suspensions page and it says we currently have three players one match away from a five card suspension, Joss Labadie, Josh Sheehan and Danny Macnamara. There is no mention of Ryan Haynes.

excessbee wrote:
papajohn wrote:Now Josh has his 5th yellow and therefore misses the Salford game, it's worth noting that Haynes, McNamara and Sheehan are on four. Can't really do without them can we?
I'm confused. Josh and Sheehan are one and the same player. A post on another thread says Labadie is suspended. That must mean his fifth booking was in his last match (Crawley). I didn't notice this. Anyway, even if he was mysteriously booked, the suspension would have been the Colchester match. I've looked on the FA suspensions page and it says we currently have three players one match away from a five card suspension, Joss Labadie, Josh Sheehan and Danny Macnamara. There is no mention of Ryan Haynes.
Labadie's 5th came yesterday at Colchester and will miss next Saturday.,Mcmanara and Sheehan are as you say both on 4

mad norm wrote:
excessbee wrote:
mad norm wrote:Our discipline is sh!t
I'm assuming you can inform us the number of yellow cards the team has been given so far this season, maybe in comparison with other teams.
No I can't.
Our discpline needs to be addressed
So, no idea at all then Norm? At a guess, since you say our discipline is 'sh*t' you might expect it to be worse than the majority of teams, maybe top ten in the cards table?

Well, actually we are currently 13th of 24. Top (worst disciplinary record) unsurprisingly is Mansfield 28 yellow and 5 red, but Northampton match that with 37 yellows and 2 reds. We have 28 yellows and 1 red. Exeter are angels with only 20 yellow cards. Maybe we just aren't sharing the yellows out around the team, but I expect there's a pretty long list of those one card away from a suspension.

The website that I got this from calculated as yellow card one point, red card three.
Last edited by excessbee on October 28th, 2019, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

We do sometimes get unnecessary yellow cards but we have a squad of players who put their bodies on the line. We put in some really tough challenges none of which are dirty. O'brien isn't the biggest of players but one 2nd half defensive challenge by him yesterday was incredible.He's fearless, the opposing player was left stunned by the brute force. A perfectly clean no nonsense challenge.

excessbee wrote:
mad norm wrote:
excessbee wrote:
I'm assuming you can inform us the number of yellow cards the team has been given so far this season, maybe in comparison with other teams.
No I can't.
So, no idea at all then Norm? At a guess, since you say our discipline is 'sh*t' you might expect it to be worse than the majority of teams, maybe top ten in the cards table?
This is a fallacy. Something can be bad without being the worst - not all things are comparative. If all teams have bad discipline, then even having the fewest bookings etc on a comparative basis doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Not that I agree with Norm especially. I just think that things being bad or good don't require a comparison to other things.

njbh86 wrote:
excessbee wrote:
mad norm wrote:
excessbee wrote:
No I can't.
This is a fallacy. Something can be bad without being the worst - not all things are comparative. If all teams have bad discipline, then even having the fewest bookings etc on a comparative basis doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Not that I agree with Norm especially. I just think that things being bad or good don't require a comparison to other things.
So how would you define it then in your view? We are talking football here not a war or crime figs. or number of church goers - is a contact sport played over 90 minutes. Is it zero cards or 5 cards. Surely the relative position of the team as outlined is enough to put in context one-off throw away lines.Good info excessbee.

It's not a fallacy to say a team 13th out of 24 has bad discipline when the concept is relative to the other teams in the same division and more than half the teams are worse.

"Bad discipline" is by definition a comparator, because the norm that "bad" is compared to is defined by the whole group. If they've all got loads of cards, you'd need a wider group to define whether that is atypical...