Who do you attend matches with?

Good Morning!

It’s been a bit quiet on here this week! I hope that’s a sign of contentment and not apathy!

So for a topic of interest, who do you go to matches with, and how do other family members view your footballing interest?

As a lad, I was a loner, went on my own and didn’t speak to another soul all the time I was at the match. No one to share the mostly misery and occasional joy. I was probably looked upon as a bit of a weirdo, setting off for Northampton railway station, getting a return ticket to London, Birmingham, Watford etc.
Then returning home and Mum/Dad saying “did they win?” Knowing what the answer was going to be.

Fast forward 40 years and it’s totally different! A family event, going to the football, the pleasure of the company of two older children who have their own lives and interests but choose to share this football oddity of supporting Newport County!
Even more so, my wife coming too, slowly developing her football knowledge and letting her guard slip occasionally with a good sing song!
Going to football is an event that has to be planned in advance, not being so local and not so regular as most on here.

So who do you share your football story with and what do your non football fans in the family think of your antics?

Phil in Northampton

Re: Who do you attend matches with?

I try to tie in a visit to the family and grandsons when I drive down to a match and i go to the game with 1 or both of my sons and try to meet my brothers at the game if they are going.
If I drive down for kick off then drive back straight after the game meaning a 6 hour round trip my wife thinks I am mad but she doesn't realise I cant help doing it
Lost count of the number of times I have said I'm not doing it again after a dire performance and traffic jams on the M1 but im still going.
Maybe she's right and I am mad 8) 8)

Since my bro in law stopped going several years ago, with Jack Jones! Although last season I did bring some Pembs mates to one game. Managed to get hospitality with a family member a few times last season as well. Have met a few fellow messageboarders at games also.

As I normally try and arrange a family visit to Newport with a home game, my wife thinks that the County have too much influence on her local social life. Ah well....

My son and my dad usually, my daughter comes along occasionally.

Meet some old school friends of my dad's before the game usually, the same group who have been going together since they were kids, and who I used to sit and watch getting pissed on trips back and forth to Gloucester nearly 30 years ago.

Occasionally these days I get to have an away day with my own mates. We used to go together in the days before kids, but naturally these days are less often now.

chepstowamber wrote:When we were still in primary school me and a load of mates used to catch the bus from Portskewett to the Cross Hands to watch County at Somerton Park. Fast forward 50 years and 4 of us still go together but take it in turns driving.
Chris
Small world, I've lived in Portskewett all my life. I tend to go to games on my own these days but do try to convince friends and family to at least come and watch County

I go with my wife's cousin he was at a loose end about 6 years ago so tagged along to Rochdale away and has now has had a season ticket next to me for the past six seasons and rarely misses an away game. First started going with my Grandfather he took me to the Southampton FA cup replay in 68 sadly he passed away before we got back into the league but never missed a game home or away after we reformed and started again in Morton.

Dad for years (includind Southampton away with the Gerald King penalty and flying boot), son (first AFC away mascot at Bridgnorth), daughters, friends especially one bases in Cambridge.
My Dad's last match was v Sharpness at The Old Lawn and I had gone off for a pint. I left my Dad with my son but my Dan wandered off (Alzheimer's). I received a massive telling off from my son who was four at the time.

Five, sometimes six or seven, of us regularly attend home matches. One also goes to the Dragons games, so he's only just at our end of the dark side. But he's a lovely man and shouts along with us for the County. We have all followed our team to Wembley THREE times, and regardless of outcome have had a great day each time. On each occasion, believing it might be the last, we have hired a limo for the journey. Great days with champagne!
We enjoy a pre-match drink in the squash club inside the ground, which for us, is a haven of tranquility compared to that tent. Any coppers in profit go to the club rather than the WRU so that's alright. We are all Old Gits and love the County..
It is particularly pleasing to read about the experiences of dads/sons and daughters of others.
It's who we are really.