Re: The Most Average Newport County Players

pembsexile wrote:
rncfc wrote:Any long term supporter will clean up on this thread.

Denis Spiteri
Eston Chiverton
Ray Pulis
Mark Draycott
Mark Bellingham

Now for the more controversial ones

Max Porter
Danny Crow
Lee Evans
Dan Butler
Didn't Lee Evans get transferred to Wolves for a hefty wad? Wasn't it mentioned about him being on the fringes of the Welsh squad at the time as well? Whatever happened to him? No idea where he is now. I did think at the time that he would fulfill his potential.
He was very strong for his age and competent in most areas in my opinion. Very average, but average can sometimes be effective if you have no weak spots.

rncfc wrote:Any long term supporter will clean up on this thread.

Eston Chiverton
Ray Pulis
Chiverton was actively poor. I laughed when I saw he was on Sensible World of Soccer 95/96 in one of the LoW squads and his value was £10k - though I think that was the lowest value in the game.

Ray Pulis for County is an interesting one, he was at Pill when I was there. Difficult to determine average comparing Southern League Midland Division teams with League Two or old Div 3.

Can't get my head around this thread. I reckon my definition would be someone who played regularly (at whatever level) for at least three seasons. Always good enough to be offered terms for the next season, but never moving up a level, other than us being promoted. Failing at our level would mean they moved on, but maybe stayed in the same league with a less ambitious club. I'll work on those parameters.

excessbee wrote:Can't get my head around this thread. I reckon my definition would be someone who played regularly (at whatever level) for at least three seasons. Always good enough to be offered terms for the next season, but never moving up a level, other than us being promoted. Failing at our level would mean they moved on, but maybe stayed in the same league with a less ambitious club. I'll work on those parameters.
Of the current squad, Matty Dolan comfortably fits that criteria.