Re: The Most Average Newport County Players

George Street-Bridge wrote:We've wound up discussing poor players. IMHO average = someone who is good enough to play regularly without you necessarily noticing his contribution. So of the current squad Bennett, from years ago Gary Thorne.
Nonsense :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's why he is third in the MOM on here.

Clearly nobody has noticed him including the official MOM Saturday.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I see it as praise, he often operates under the radar. It's a paradox, but before you can be rated for your averageness, you have to be un-average enough to get picked regularly.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. It's simply that I remember Bennett's early loan appearances where I felt "he's too good to stick around". His aura has diminished somewhat (edit: possibly because the players around him have improved) but in my eyes he remains one of our best performers.

Was Trevor Thompson a regular? I can't remember.

Goddard & woods wrote:
Coxy wrote:Mike Dowler
Mike was quite a good keeper IMO watched his debut away at Cambridge midweek in 1976 and got the match programme signed by him we won 1-0 in a middle of a dreadful run of form Alistair Love netting the winner and he had a really good game with a string of fine saves.
Mike is a gentleman he was coaching I think it was Undy youth under 18s few years back when I was refin a young lad swore at me in frustration something along the lines of ffs ref that was our ball I called him over for a chat I told him off and to behave Mike hauled him off despite having no subs left say you don't speak to the referee like that go and get showered

It's a petty no one does that anymore I can remember as a lad they used to do it regularly