Re: Mike give the youth a chance

old ironside wrote:MF have you forgot how you got your first start , Collins and Jefferies are good enough and should be on bench and coming on for ten minutes . Show a bit of faith in them and give a boost to the youth academy.
How do you know that - I assume the combined talents of Flynn / Hatswell and Lawrence would know if they good enough and if so would pick them. If you are good enough age does not matter if you are not age does not matter it comes down to ability and who can do a job.

County ranger wrote:
old ironside wrote:MF have you forgot how you got your first start , Collins and Jefferies are good enough and should be on bench and coming on for ten minutes . Show a bit of faith in them and give a boost to the youth academy.
How do you know that - I assume the combined talents of Flynn / Hatswell and Lawrence would know if they good enough and if so would pick them. If you are good enough age does not matter if you are not age does not matter it comes down to ability and who can do a job.
You clearly have not seen Jefferies then.
Quality and huge potential.

County ranger wrote:
You make a good point but how can MF and his team be sure they are right if they don't try them in first team. Also its the affect it must have on the academy staff and players.

I'd like to see youth given a chance as well. However, this season where we appear to be taking promotion seriously you can understand why we're reluctant.

If we were targeting mid table then I would like to think some of these boys would be getting game time. Unfortunately there is an element of learning on the job with younger players, and you can't afford to be losing points to inexperience when you're trying to get promoted.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Snag is we aren't scoring enough to give a bit of slack to try out youngsters without jeopardising points.
Depends how you look at it.

I think our lack of goals is because we are focused on having 11 men defending well. If flynny thinks that youth players won't be as adept at buying into that, then I can understand.

The jump from youth football to Football League level is bigger than it's ever been. How many clubs at this level have youth players in their first XI regularly? If any of them are as good as some of the first team, I don't see a reason why Flynn wouldn't give them a chance.

Collins has got some time on the pitch and done alright, but aside from that I can't see how anyone can know the 'potential' of any of our lads unless they watch them every week. I saw Jeffries against West Ham and thought he had a good game, but it was against another academy team. Playing against the likes of Salford, Forest Green or Bradford is a completely different challenge.