Re: Macclesfield

At least there's a prospect of the club being bought by a local businessman who thankfully does not view Macc as a potential Premier League club. He's the son of the late Les Sealey,

Another piece I read compares Macclesfield's financial situation with Chelsea's fines system. A Chelsea player being 8 minutes late for training is fined 4 grand (£500 per minute). That's what Macc lose in a week.

I read that Sealey was one of the people who was enquiring about Bury in the final weeks. Dale wanted £5m, having bought the club for £1 but inherited the debts. Sealey could see that they were a basket case bound for administration, so backed away. I suspect Dale flagged him up to the EFL as an interested party long after he lost interest, perhaps resulting in the extended deadline offered to Bury.

In court again today. They've been given a further two weeks and still owe HMRC £180k. The same amount they claimed, two weeks ago, had been paid (which HMRC said they hadn't received). Who would you believe? Apparently this first went to court in May when the debt was £72k. Someone's telling porkies here.

excessbee wrote:In court again today. They've been given a further two weeks and still owe HMRC £180k. The same amount they claimed, two weeks ago, had been paid (which HMRC said they hadn't received). Who would you believe? Apparently this first went to court in May when the debt was £72k. Someone's telling porkies here.
HMRC owe me five grand. I wonder if I can apply to have them wound up?

You would think that a simple solution would be that not paying players should incur an immediate points deduction. Pretty soon that puts the club in reverse. I'm guessing currently that's not in the EFL rules. After the Bury fiasco, that surely should have been introduced prior to the start of this season.

UPTHEPORT wrote:I hope the FL cancel the game v crewe then because it would be unfair on every other club in L2 if they played the youth team
I believe that was the contingency plan for the league match after the FA Cup game in which they played only loanees and youth players. In that instance the regular players agreed to play again after some were paid, but it was suggested only three actually did receive the money owed. Another payday has since come around.
On that occasion the match (against Mansfield) was only confirmed on the Friday. This time it's Crewe. Maybe with them being so local, there is less inconvenience to travelling fans, but I have read that Crewe have sold 1200 tickets. There is little respect being shown to them. I can see this one being 'suspended' by the EFL sometime today.

The £180,00 is confirmed on the BBC website. So, if he'd not been paid at all during his tenure that corresponds to annual salary of close to a quarter of a million! And it might equate to more than that if he'd been paid anything at all during his 8 or 9 months in charge.

Beggars belief!

I wonder what the current situation is, 24 hours before the Crewe match. The Macclesfield players have threatened to strike and if they do, it clarifies matters. The game gets postponed. Crewe won't be awarded three points. But is there a chance that they could play, make a token effort and lose 0-7. What then? Can the EFL overrule the match result and declare it null and void? Probably, without having read every statement on this, there is a deadline today by which time the EFL will need to decide on or off. But it's what happens if it's on that now takes on greater significance.