lineup for Friday

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

The Ironsiders

Re: lineup for Friday

Postby The Ironsiders » November 28th, 2019, 1:29 pm

neilcork68 wrote:O' Brien has never been a very good footballer. What you see with him is what you get.
He gives 100% and is one of the best 'stoppers ' in the league , his distribution will never be 'up there with the best '....For his size he is good in the air and as long as he can compete ( due to his lack of pace ,) not much gets past him ....No way would I ever contemplate him being dropped for a game of this type.

Luckily for us the weather is changing and it looks like it may be dry as I wouldnt fancy playing the game in wet and windy conditions as it looked like it may have been earlier in the week

i agree with you to an extent. i feel he is a good footballer to have at this level. he is extremely strong and is good in the air for his height. he gets a lot of the dirty work done, and clears his lines...so a very safe player that takes no risks. it is sometimes annoying when he clears it first time even when he has time and space. we have a good balance in defence though because when Mickey is fit, we will have his composure back...which we have definitely missed in defence.
no avatar
User

Robster

Postby Robster » November 28th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Never been my favourite. Gives away too many silly free kicks. Hopefully to be replaced soon when Demetro is back. My line up would be;
King
Willmott Innis OB Haynes
Ladabie Sheehan Bennett/Nurse
Amond Matt Abrahames
no avatar
User

Portlife

Postby Portlife » November 28th, 2019, 3:34 pm

rncfc wrote:Abrahams would start every game if I was calling the shots. I don't think it particularly matters what position he plays, he's dangerous on the ball.

Totally agree. Can't explain why, but I just think he could be a bit special. Him and Podge would be my starting two up front, if we play two there.
no avatar
User

County ranger

Postby County ranger » November 28th, 2019, 5:00 pm

O’Brien is missed more than any other defender when not playing owing to his organisation skills - agree on distribution but if he had that with his other skills and football brain he would not be in L2.
User

lowandhard

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhard » November 28th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Robster wrote:Never been my favourite. Gives away too many silly free kicks. Hopefully to be replaced soon when Demetro is back. My line up would be;
King
Willmott Innis OB Haynes
Amond Matt Abrahames

For a second I thought you were advising we play 12! :grin: We may need them. Having read it properly, I agree with that selection, with the doubts over Wilmott I suppose Jefferies should be close to a step up with McNamara unavailable.
User

Kevinmoorefellover

Postby Kevinmoorefellover » November 28th, 2019, 8:54 pm

OB is exactly the sort of player we need against an in-form lower league team.
no avatar
User

Goddard & woods

Lliswerry

Postby Goddard & woods » November 29th, 2019, 12:15 am

OB is a very good league 2 player a no nonsense centre half good in the air and brave in the tackle yes his distribution is not the best but he has other strengths, and we would be journeying around non league grounds if it wasn't for his goal against Notts County. Instead of that we have had another 2 trips to Wembley and played Leeds United ( twice ) Spurs Leicester Middlesbrough Man City and West Ham. He is a County legend and part of the best times we have had since the days of Addison and Ashurst long may it continue.
no avatar
User

njbh86

Postby njbh86 » November 29th, 2019, 9:00 am

Assuming we won't have Danny Mc;

Townsend (keep giving him the cup games imo)
Jefferies Howkins OB Haynes
Labadie Sheehan Nurse
Willmott Amond Abrahams

I don't want to see Willmott playing RB ever, just a liability there.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

TrefGruffydd

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » November 29th, 2019, 11:31 am

Goddard & woods wrote:OB is a very good league 2 player a no nonsense centre half good in the air and brave in the tackle yes his distribution is not the best but he has other strengths, and we would be journeying around non league grounds if it wasn't for his goal against Notts County. Instead of that we have had another 2 trips to Wembley and played Leeds United ( twice ) Spurs Leicester Middlesbrough Man City and West Ham. He is a County legend and part of the best times we have had since the days of Addison and Ashurst long may it continue.

Well said both
no avatar
User

DeePeeNCAFC

Postby DeePeeNCAFC » November 29th, 2019, 1:48 pm

OB has been very good, just what we needed for the past couple of seasons but is going through a patch of ropey form and has done since getting sent off in the play-offs.

I feel he needs / deserves a rest, his commitment remains high but his effectiveness at both ends of the pitch is dwindling. He's good for an OG every few games and I think this is down to his lack of finesse. Bennett at the back with OB on the bench ready to come in if we're a goal down, is what I'd do.
no avatar
User

The Ironsiders

Postby The Ironsiders » November 29th, 2019, 1:48 pm

njbh86 wrote:Assuming we won't have Danny Mc;

Townsend (keep giving him the cup games imo)
Jefferies Howkins OB Haynes
Labadie Sheehan Nurse
Willmott Amond Abrahams

I don't want to see Willmott playing RB ever, just a liability there.

exactly what i think about him at right back... same goes for Nurse. i can understand playing a left footed player on the right wing to cut inside, however i don’t get the logic behind a left footed player at right back. it’s not like we didn’t have a choice, we have Jeffries and he does an excellent job
no avatar
User

wattsville_boy

Postby wattsville_boy » November 29th, 2019, 3:24 pm

lowandhard wrote:
Robster wrote:Never been my favourite. Gives away too many silly free kicks. Hopefully to be replaced soon when Demetro is back. My line up would be;
King
Willmott Innis OB Haynes
Amond Matt Abrahames

For a second I thought you were advising we play 12! :grin: We may need them. Having read it properly, I agree with that selection, with the doubts over Wilmott I suppose Jefferies should be close to a step up with McNamara unavailable.

If Flynn was going to play Jefferies it would have made sense to have given him minutes v Oldham instead of playing the (only) left-footed Nurse there.

IMHO Jefferies, like any of the Academy boys, stands no chance of starting and possibly no chance of coming off the bench (if he makes it there in the first instance). One day people are going to realise that Flynn won't play youngsters in any meaningful game. The Academy appears to him to be purely a revenue stream which allows him to bring in youngsters from other clubs...
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

TrefGruffydd

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » November 29th, 2019, 7:06 pm

wattsville_boy wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
King
Willmott Innis OB Haynes
Amond Matt Abrahames

If Flynn was going to play Jefferies it would have made sense to have given him minutes v Oldham instead of playing the (only) left-footed Nurse there.

IMHO Jefferies, like any of the Academy boys, stands no chance of starting and possibly no chance of coming off the bench (if he makes it there in the first instance). One day people are going to realise that Flynn won't play youngsters in any meaningful game. The Academy appears to him to be purely a revenue stream which allows him to bring in youngsters from other clubs...

Jefferies to start, with Collins & 2 more academy players on the bench?
User

lowandhard

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhard » November 30th, 2019, 1:07 am

wattsville_boy wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
King
Willmott Innis OB Haynes
Amond Matt Abrahames

It seems not. However, I believe he’s playing him out of position ( he looks like a midfielder ) , perhaps not out of choice.
Previous