Grandstand FA Cup Round 2

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Dogger

Sunny Spain

Re: Grandstand FA Cup Round 2

Postby Dogger » November 30th, 2019, 9:27 am

We really should have been 2 or 3 up st there, but due to poor finishing we weren’t. 2nd half we looked like a team lacking confidence & hardly created anything. That being said, our depleted team defended well (despite losing 2 CB’s) & restricted their much-vaunted attack to 1 chance 1st half & a long range effort 2nd half. Sheehan best outfield player on pitch by a country mile (Townsend looked unbeatable tonight though). Keown was always going to pick one of their players for MOM. The Howkins incident looked a straight red to me. Their guy was never gonna win the ball & was only going to endanger Howkins. Let’s hope he’s ok soon. On to round 3. UTC!
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » November 30th, 2019, 9:51 am

No problem with him picking one of their's for Mom. It's the natural consolation prize. We didn't have any candidates really. Still haven't worked out how their player who was sent off against Orient (Parrish) wasn't suspended for last night's match. He too, late in the game, seemed to be jumping into players without any chance of winning the header.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 30th, 2019, 10:00 am

wattsville_boy wrote:
I'm finding watching County recently very frustrating.

This is my 53rd season of watching Newport County.

Dear Jesus, Mary and Joseph do I have some bad news for you.
User

Bush

Postby Bush » November 30th, 2019, 10:34 am

Really hope the complaint put a complaint in over that challenge. It’s fair to say a challenge like that could kill someone.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » November 30th, 2019, 10:44 am

Few points.
Jefferies is a right sided midfielder more than a full back.
Labs, Scott and Robbie injured
McNamarra cup tied.
Our 2 centre backs both injured.
They beat Orient away scoring twice.
We beat them with a clean sheet.
In the draw.
Very happy this morning.
Improvement on the last 3 games imo.
Sure Jefferies reads the forum or here's about comments on here.
Give the young fella a break
17 and playing out of position.
Did okay better than Nurse did Saturday
no avatar
User

rncfc

Caerphilly

Postby rncfc » November 30th, 2019, 11:01 am

I will admit that my comment was more to get a bite than anything else. I thought he did OK to be fair, as you say playing out of position and against some decent opposition.
no avatar
User

Justanordinaryfan

Postby Justanordinaryfan » November 30th, 2019, 11:09 am

Tbh if he does read the comments on here, and if he’s like most 17yr old kids of today, he won’t give a flying Fook about opinions from people who haven’t played the game at any great level.

More importantly hel take advice from his experienced management team and senior pros on a day to day basis.
User

Bush

Postby Bush » November 30th, 2019, 11:14 am

rncfc wrote:I will admit that my comment was more to get a bite than anything else. I thought he did OK to be fair, as you say playing out of position and against some decent opposition.

His passing needed to be better but I don’t remember anyone skinning him and I’d rather see a youngster start poor and improve over a game than start well and drop off.
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » November 30th, 2019, 11:15 am

excessbee wrote:just before half time Martin Keown stated it was difficult to tell who was the league two team

In actual fact, once our barnstorming opening had petered out, I couldn't find much if anything to disagree with there.

Mind you, I wanted to scream every time the commentary team described the cup as "a great leveller".
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » November 30th, 2019, 11:29 am

Bush wrote:
rncfc wrote:I will admit that my comment was more to get a bite than anything else. I thought he did OK to be fair, as you say playing out of position and against some decent opposition.

His passing needed to be better but I don’t remember anyone skinning him and I’d rather see a youngster start poor and improve over a game than start well and drop off.

Just watched it all again , apart from one bad pass near the start the lad played well.
Second time around Josh and Townsend look even better.
King has no chance getting back in after that performance
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » November 30th, 2019, 11:41 am

3 centre backs are injured.
Howkins/ Ob and Scott.
Just have Inniss available for next week maybe.
Flynny cannot put Mickey in straight away either.
If that scenario happens who the heck will go in the middle.
Lending out Jay and Marvel could back fire
no avatar
User

ajs

Postby ajs » November 30th, 2019, 11:55 am

Thought Jefferies grew into the game, their left side was experienced. We should remember his age and experience, in opinion will only get better with more exposure. Remember back to Andrew Hughes the stick he got, had 30 odd games in the championship last seaon. Another who took a lot of verbal abuse was Steve Lowndes, I remember the comments made they were not pleasent for a younster to hear. So perhaps we should support our youth more and help them increase their benefit to the side. Need a reserve side as the jump from youth football to the first team is a big step.
There were quite a few experience pros who performed worse than Jefferies who deserve to be singled out.
no avatar
User

wattsville_boy

Postby wattsville_boy » November 30th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:
I'm finding watching County recently very frustrating.

This is my 53rd season of watching Newport County.

Dear Jesus, Mary and Joseph do I have some bad news for you.

It'll be somewhere between 45-50 years for me. The point I was making is I can handle supporting a rubbish team playing rubbish football but County this season look like a decent side playing rubbish football. That is incredibly frustrating.
no avatar
User

Ugo.

Postby Ugo. » November 30th, 2019, 12:51 pm

excessbee wrote:Still haven't worked out how their player who was sent off against Orient (Parrish) wasn't suspended for last night's match.

Apparently, according to a tweet I saw last night from the argus, it's a ridiculous rule where yellow cards accrued in the FA Cup only count in the FA cup but a red card counts In the next first team game.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » November 30th, 2019, 12:56 pm

The fact he’s a right midfielder and not a right back makes it worse for me as his passing was awful, the worst part of his performance.
I don’t buy into the ‘he’s only 17’ nonsense, yes that’s young but he’s either good enough to be playing on our first team or he isn’t , simple as that.
PreviousNext