BBC clueless of achievements

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

flat4

Posts

157

Location

WHERE EVER THE JOB TAKES ME

BBC clueless of achievements

Postby flat4 » November 30th, 2019, 7:43 am

Padraig Amond equals the record for goals scored in successive FA Cup games (8) - equalling legends Peter Osgood and Jeff Astle - and bringing him level with the great Stan Mortensen.

Also, this is the third consecutive season that Newport County have reached the FA Cup third round as a League Two club.

Yet neither are mentioned in the BBC match report...

0 out of 10 for your homework BBC
no avatar
User

excessbee

Posts

4280

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby excessbee » November 30th, 2019, 8:36 am

Sorry to nit-pick, but it's not eight successive games, but eight rounds. In three of the four that went to a replay, he scored in only one of the matches. Still a fantastic record that has still not come to an end.
no avatar
User

Justanordinaryfan

Posts

989

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby Justanordinaryfan » November 30th, 2019, 10:43 am

excessbee wrote:Sorry to nit-pick, but it's not eight successive games, but eight rounds. In three of the four that went to a replay, he scored in only one of the matches. Still a fantastic record that has still not come to an end.


Not nit picking, but just pointing out that it’s a bit of a difference.

Agree it’s still a fantastic achievement!
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Posts

6816

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby George Street-Bridge » November 30th, 2019, 11:09 am

flat4 wrote: Also, this is the third consecutive season that Newport County have reached the FA Cup third round as a League Two club... 0 out of 10 for your homework BBC


Is it that unusual for L2 teams?
no avatar
User

excessbee

Posts

4280

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby excessbee » November 30th, 2019, 11:16 am

I think his point is that it isn't the third time. Before the Leeds match we played Blackburn in round three, so this must be the fourth. I haven't looked back before that. What it really shows is that it was the Leeds match that flagged us up.
User avatar
User

Marky

Posts

2999

Location

Mazeglaas

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby Marky » November 30th, 2019, 11:38 am

excessbee wrote:I think his point is that it isn't the third time. Before the Leeds match we played Blackburn in round three, so this must be the fourth. I haven't looked back before that. What it really shows is that it was the Leeds match that flagged us up.


That wasn't the season before.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Posts

4280

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby excessbee » November 30th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Marky wrote:
excessbee wrote:I think his point is that it isn't the third time. Before the Leeds match we played Blackburn in round three, so this must be the fourth. I haven't looked back before that. What it really shows is that it was the Leeds match that flagged us up.


That wasn't the season before.


Ak, OK . I've skipped a season then. Who did we lose to in between the Blackburn and Leeds ties?
no avatar
User

wattsville_boy

Posts

4035

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby wattsville_boy » November 30th, 2019, 12:50 pm

excessbee wrote:I think his point is that it isn't the third time. Before the Leeds match we played Blackburn in round three, so this must be the fourth. I haven't looked back before that. What it really shows is that it was the Leeds match that flagged us up.


It's the fourth time in five years.

From Football Club History Database:
2015-16
1 BRACKLEY TOWN A 2-2
1r BRACKLEY TOWN H 4-1
2 BARNET A 1-0
3 BLACKBURN ROVERS H 1-2
2016-17
1 ALFRETON TOWN A 1-1
1r ALFRETON TOWN H 4-1
2 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE A 0-0
2r PLYMOUTH ARGYLE H 0-1
2017-18
1 WALSALL H 2-1
2 CAMBRIDGE UNITED H 2-0
3 LEEDS UNITED H 2-1
4 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR H 1-1
4r TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR A 0-2
2018-19
1 MET. POLICE A 2-0
2 WREXHAM A 0-0
2r WREXHAM H 4-0
3 LEICESTER CITY H 2-1
4 MIDDLESBROUGH A 1-1
4r MIDDLESBROUGH H 2-0
5 MANCHESTER CITY H 1-4
2019-20
1 GRIMSBY TOWN A 1-1
1r GRIMSBY TOWN H 2-0
2 MALDON & TIPTREE A 1-0
no avatar
User

excessbee

Posts

4280

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby excessbee » November 30th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Yes! How could I forget the Plymouth match(es)? :oops:

Very good recent record then. In the last five seasons, the only time we haven't got to round three, we were beaten in round two by a team which, that season, went on to get automatic promotion.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6589

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby pembsexile » November 30th, 2019, 2:02 pm

I remember the Plymouth match well. It was an evening game. Darren Jones took some flack for his performance that day. Fans accusing him of 'putting on the timber'. I don't think he played much after that. Plymouth went on to play Liverpool at Anfield. Damn, damn, damn, if only.......
no avatar
User

excessbee

Posts

4280

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby excessbee » November 30th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Should have beaten them in the first tie. Much the better team and Butler was quite harshly sent off.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Posts

2905

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby Percy plunkett » November 30th, 2019, 3:26 pm

excessbee wrote:Should have beaten them in the first tie. Much the better team and Butler was quite harshly sent off.

It was Rigg not Butler.
no avatar
User

excessbee

Posts

4280

Re: BBC clueless of achievements

Postby excessbee » November 30th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Whoops! Not having a god day on this thread. Time to stop. :oops:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: big baz, chepstowamber, Fourthousand, johnny1972, Madhatter, rncfc, Stan A. Einstein and 33 guests

Powered by phpBB ®