Our Landlords

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

2740

Re: Our Landlords

Postby Willthiswork » December 2nd, 2019, 1:45 pm

whoareya wrote:A landlord cant just increase the venue costs unless the original agreement from 2017 has expired, or that the entitlement to increase costs was already in the agreement.
Who are the landlords? Dragons or WRU?
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

Posts

1648

Location

TrefGruffydd

Re: Our Landlords

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » December 3rd, 2019, 8:37 am

Willthiswork wrote:
whoareya wrote:A landlord cant just increase the venue costs unless the original agreement from 2017 has expired, or that the entitlement to increase costs was already in the agreement.
Who are the landlords? Dragons or WRU?


Disappointed, that no-one has apparently been able to answer this question for you. Not certain what the legal definition of a landlord is and does it vary from the Landowners of RP, who I'm sure according to the Land Registry is the WRU.

For some reason this current thread and previous ones on the same topic seems to evoke apparant statements of fact about the Dragons,NRFC and RP demise, rather than opinions. Does anyone actually know what the future holds at this time?
For what it's worth my opinion is if the professional rugby ceases to exist in Newport, professional football will also follow suit.
no avatar
User

ref23

Posts

1212

Re: Our Landlords

Postby ref23 » December 3rd, 2019, 8:58 am

I still think it's absolutely outrageous that it appears Newport RFC, Newport COUNCIL and Newport County are not sat around a table discussing how to ensure the continued existence of our proud sporting clubs.

I have to say, that if it emerges nothing has been happening and we are to be homeless in a few years time, I for one will be cancelling my trust memberships. Furthermore, I don't understand why we cannot be given some snippets of information as major funders to the club.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

Posts

1648

Location

TrefGruffydd

Re: Our Landlords

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » December 3rd, 2019, 10:35 am

ref23 wrote:I still think it's absolutely outrageous that it appears Newport RFC, Newport COUNCIL and Newport County are not sat around a table discussing how to ensure the continued existence of our proud sporting clubs.

I have to say, that if it emerges nothing has been happening and we are to be homeless in a few years time, I for one will be cancelling my trust memberships. Furthermore, I don't understand why we cannot be given some snippets of information as major funders to the club.


Entirely agree with all of this. Feel like the proverbial mushroom.
no avatar
User

whoareya

Posts

2336

Re: Our Landlords

Postby whoareya » December 3rd, 2019, 10:45 am

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
whoareya wrote:A landlord cant just increase the venue costs unless the original agreement from 2017 has expired, or that the entitlement to increase costs was already in the agreement.
Who are the landlords? Dragons or WRU?


Disappointed, that no-one has apparently been able to answer this question for you. Not certain what the legal definition of a landlord is and does it vary from the Landowners of RP, who I'm sure according to the Land Registry is the WRU.

For some reason this current thread and previous ones on the same topic seems to evoke apparant statements of fact about the Dragons,NRFC and RP demise, rather than opinions. Does anyone actually know what the future holds at this time?
For what it's worth my opinion is if the professional rugby ceases to exist in Newport, professional football will also follow suit.


Why are you disappointed that the contributors to a football forum are unable to give a definitive answer as to who the RP landlord is?

If the press reports at the time are correct, the WRU stepped in and bought RP from NRC, and also settled the loans that the previous Dragons benefactors had called in. So they currently control both entities, probably through a Holding Co. to mitigate business risk.

All I can see here are assumptions and opinions, not statements of facts....?
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

Posts

1648

Location

TrefGruffydd

Re: Our Landlords

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » December 3rd, 2019, 11:40 am

whoareya wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
whoareya wrote:A landlord cant just increase the venue costs unless the original agreement from 2017 has expired, or that the entitlement to increase costs was already in the agreement.
Who are the landlords? Dragons or WRU?


Disappointed, that no-one has apparently been able to answer this question for you. Not certain what the legal definition of a landlord is and does it vary from the Landowners of RP, who I'm sure according to the Land Registry is the WRU.

For some reason this current thread and previous ones on the same topic seems to evoke apparant statements of fact about the Dragons,NRFC and RP demise, rather than opinions. Does anyone actually know what the future holds at this time?
For what it's worth my opinion is if the professional rugby ceases to exist in Newport, professional football will also follow suit.


Why are you disappointed that the contributors to a football forum are unable to give a definitive answer as to who the RP landlord is?

If the press reports at the time are correct, the WRU stepped in and bought RP from NRC, and also settled the loans that the previous Dragons benefactors had called in. So they currently control both entities, probably through a Holding Co. to mitigate business risk.

All I can see here are assumptions and opinions, not statements of facts....?


Whilst accepting that this is a Newport County AFC football forum, was hoping that someone would be able to definitively say who the landlords of this club are.
no avatar
User

whoareya

Posts

2336

Re: Our Landlords

Postby whoareya » December 3rd, 2019, 12:37 pm

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Whilst accepting that this is a Newport County AFC football forum, was hoping that someone would be able to definitively say who the landlords of this club are.



There you go:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-17349029


"Rodney Parade used to be owned by Newport RFC, who secured famous victories over New Zealand, South Africa and Australia there in days gone by.

But in May 2017, Newport shareholders voted to sell the ground to the Welsh Rugby Union, while also approving the governing body taking over the Dragons regional team.

The move was supported by 81 per cent of the 429 votes cast.

A Venue Use Agreement was put in place as part of the sale of the ground to the WRU, enabling Newport to continue playing there.
The ground is also home to the Dragons and Newport County, with a £750,000 hybrid Desso surface having been installed two years ago to help cope with the heavy use of the pitch."
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

Posts

1648

Location

TrefGruffydd

Re: Our Landlords

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » December 3rd, 2019, 5:19 pm

Thank you. As I thought that makes the WRU landlords, but was doubting it as the question was asked?
no avatar
User

old ironside

Posts

51

Re: Our Landlords

Postby old ironside » December 5th, 2019, 2:05 pm

If Dragons new group take over next season will they want us there
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

2740

Re: Our Landlords

Postby Willthiswork » December 5th, 2019, 3:01 pm

old ironside wrote:If Dragons new group take over next season will they want us there
That's the rub - are they buying the team or the whole thing (team and ground etc...)???
no avatar
User

G Guest

Posts

2903

Re: Our Landlords

Postby G Guest » December 5th, 2019, 3:47 pm

If it was just the Dragons going into private ownership I wouldn't worry. It is just a rugby team with few assets and is essentially worthless as it will never make money. They would be tenants of the WRU just as we are. But I suspect that Buttress is after something much more complex and potentially rewarding than that. I think that he is trying to set up a business deal through private finance to exploit the development potential of RP. That would involve raising loans from venture capital providers, which is why he was meeting people in London. Ownership would transfer from the WRU to his company under a purchase agreement and the loans eventually repaid or rolled over out or the profits from the proposed hotel etc development. The potential for failure would be significant and so would be the danger to Newport County if ever we became Buttress' tenant.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

2740

Re: Our Landlords

Postby Willthiswork » December 5th, 2019, 3:53 pm

G Guest wrote:IThe potential for failure would be significant and so would be the danger to Newport County if ever we became Buttress' tenant.
Perhaps not, the Dragons are failing badly. The owners of RP would want it to be used. The Council 'may' not allow residential/retail building on the whole of the real estate? NCAFC have shown the potential they have and the money/exposure they can bring into the city recently through the FA Cup exploits.
no avatar
User

fontague-smythe

Posts

113

Re: Our Landlords

Postby fontague-smythe » December 5th, 2019, 5:29 pm

wattsville_boy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:They can increase rents for NRFC and County as much as they like. My bet is on the Dragons having gone before the County contract to play at RP is up...


I can see why you say that.

If you are right and it's a big if two things arise. Firstly for our city is is incredibly sad. Newport beat at one stage just about all the southern hemisphere touring sides, and in 1963 made Rodney Parade an iconic venue. To lose that is just so sad.

And from a selfish point of view what of us?


What of us if they don't go bust. It's been left too late to build our own stadium so it'll be a case of "put up or shut up" either at RP or at a shared league ground whilst somewhere else to play is sorted.

As County fans we should hope for the former, but I suspect if the Dragons ceased to be then the whole of RP would be built on, in which case the "put up or shut up" at a shared league ground becomes the only option.

May I just point out that it was Newport RFC that beat the All Blacks, not the Dragons. Newport RFC will live on somewhere within the city but not at RP. The Dragons have made sure that they have no option other than to move on from RP by quadrupling the rent to play there. The Dragons have always been the illegitimate offspring that no-one wanted. All the clubs in Gwent hated the Newport name attached to them and fans from other Gwent clubs will not go and see them. If they had started off as "Gwent Dragons" or "Dragons" and played somewhere like Pontypool they may have stood a chance but would have difficulty attracting crowds at first. Now they are just seen as Newport under a different name and outside of Newport rugby fans will not go see them ans inside Newport they are hated by the old Newport RFC fans. They cannot survive...

They did start off with the name Gwent Dragons and sold about fifty season tickets . This caused panic so they added Newport to appease the Newport supporters the whole thing was and still is a dog's dinner.
no avatar
User

whoareya

Posts

2336

Re: Our Landlords

Postby whoareya » December 5th, 2019, 5:43 pm

G Guest wrote:If it was just the Dragons going into private ownership I wouldn't worry. It is just a rugby team with few assets and is essentially worthless as it will never make money. They would be tenants of the WRU just as we are. But I suspect that Buttress is after something much more complex and potentially rewarding than that. I think that he is trying to set up a business deal through private finance to exploit the development potential of RP. That would involve raising loans from venture capital providers, which is why he was meeting people in London. Ownership would transfer from the WRU to his company under a purchase agreement and the loans eventually repaid or rolled over out or the profits from the proposed hotel etc development. The potential for failure would be significant and so would be the danger to Newport County if ever we became Buttress' tenant.


I was thinking the same, the former Chief Executive of a high profile company like Just Eat now sitting in the backwaters of a basket case regional Welsh rugby club? He seems to distance himself from his employer - the WRU - but they are set to receive around £35million as part of the PRO14 agreeing to a deal to sell a 27 per cent stage to private equity firm CVC, who already have a stake in the English Premiership.

I think that is where his real interest lies.


Also note that one of the cheerleaders for NRC selling up was their former Chairman Will Godfrey - who then had a £175k loan repaid once they agreed to sell to the WRU.......................
no avatar
User

whoareya

Posts

2336

Re: Our Landlords

Postby whoareya » December 5th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Willthiswork wrote:
G Guest wrote:IThe potential for failure would be significant and so would be the danger to Newport County if ever we became Buttress' tenant.
Perhaps not, the Dragons are failing badly. The owners of RP would want it to be used. The Council 'may' not allow residential/retail building on the whole of the real estate? NCAFC have shown the potential they have and the money/exposure they can bring into the city recently through the FA Cup exploits.


Look at what happened to Coventry City after the Wasps moved in, set up a Hold Co called Wasp Holdings Ltd and bought the Ricoh Arena............
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Powered by phpBB ®