Our Landlords

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

G Guest

Re: Our Landlords

Postby G Guest » December 1st, 2019, 3:48 pm

Watching the game on TV you could hear people's voices echoing around empty stands. That doesn't happen with 3000 people in there. Even the most popular parts of the Hazell looked near empty.
no avatar
User

Welsh Dragon

Postby Welsh Dragon » December 1st, 2019, 4:34 pm

Do we also include season ticket holders who can't make the game in our attendance figures?
I can see why they would be as a St holder has effectively paid to attend the game, but I would be interested to know if we actually do.
no avatar
User

rncfc

Caerphilly

Postby rncfc » December 1st, 2019, 5:48 pm

It's in our interest for them to do well. Wish they'd pull their bloody fingers out.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Postby newgroundrodney » December 1st, 2019, 6:08 pm

Welsh Dragon wrote:Do we also include season ticket holders who can't make the game in our attendance figures?
I can see why they would be as a St holder has effectively paid to attend the game, but I would be interested to know if we actually do.

Since you have to scan your ST to turn the turnstile to get in, you'd hope that logically only people IN the stadium would be counted. I understand the revenues from ST sales would be counted, I get that, but to count people as being present who aren't (if indeed we do) would be a complete nonsense in my opinion.
no avatar
User

wattsville_boy

Postby wattsville_boy » December 1st, 2019, 6:16 pm

They can increase rents for NRFC and County as much as they like. My bet is on the Dragons having gone before the County contract to play at RP is up...
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » December 1st, 2019, 6:27 pm

wattsville_boy wrote:They can increase rents for NRFC and County as much as they like. My bet is on the Dragons having gone before the County contract to play at RP is up...

I can see why you say that.

If you are right and it's a big if two things arise. Firstly for our city is is incredibly sad. Newport beat at one stage just about all the southern hemisphere touring sides, and in 1963 made Rodney Parade an iconic venue. To lose that is just so sad.

And from a selfish point of view what of us?
no avatar
User

wattsville_boy

Postby wattsville_boy » December 1st, 2019, 6:43 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:They can increase rents for NRFC and County as much as they like. My bet is on the Dragons having gone before the County contract to play at RP is up...

I can see why you say that.

If you are right and it's a big if two things arise. Firstly for our city is is incredibly sad. Newport beat at one stage just about all the southern hemisphere touring sides, and in 1963 made Rodney Parade an iconic venue. To lose that is just so sad.

And from a selfish point of view what of us?

What of us if they don't go bust. It's been left too late to build our own stadium so it'll be a case of "put up or shut up" either at RP or at a shared league ground whilst somewhere else to play is sorted.

As County fans we should hope for the former, but I suspect if the Dragons ceased to be then the whole of RP would be built on, in which case the "put up or shut up" at a shared league ground becomes the only option.

May I just point out that it was Newport RFC that beat the All Blacks, not the Dragons. Newport RFC will live on somewhere within the city but not at RP. The Dragons have made sure that they have no option other than to move on from RP by quadrupling the rent to play there. The Dragons have always been the illegitimate offspring that no-one wanted. All the clubs in Gwent hated the Newport name attached to them and fans from other Gwent clubs will not go and see them. If they had started off as "Gwent Dragons" or "Dragons" and played somewhere like Pontypool they may have stood a chance but would have difficulty attracting crowds at first. Now they are just seen as Newport under a different name and outside of Newport rugby fans will not go see them ans inside Newport they are hated by the old Newport RFC fans. They cannot survive...
no avatar
User

allontheamber

Postby allontheamber » December 1st, 2019, 9:52 pm

As County fans we should hope for the former, but I suspect if the Dragons ceased to be then the whole of RP would be built on, in which case the "put up or shut up" at a shared league ground becomes the only option.

Only problem with this scenario is the EFL are no longer going to allow ground sharing in any town other than the club's home town. There is no other ground than can be upgraded to EFL standards in Newport other than Spytty.
Sadly the time available to build our own stadium has surely elapsed
It's RP or Spytty as we have no alternative.
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » December 1st, 2019, 11:28 pm

allontheamber wrote:As County fans we should hope for the former, but I suspect if the Dragons ceased to be then the whole of RP would be built on, in which case the "put up or shut up" at a shared league ground becomes the only option.

Only problem with this scenario is the EFL are no longer going to allow ground sharing in any town other than the club's home town. There is no other ground than can be upgraded to EFL standards in Newport other than Spytty.

Think your wrong there ?? Coventry just as one example ??
no avatar
User

Taunton Iron Cider

Taunton

Postby Taunton Iron Cider » December 2nd, 2019, 7:58 am

Corpaboy wrote:
allontheamber wrote:As County fans we should hope for the former, but I suspect if the Dragons ceased to be then the whole of RP would be built on, in which case the "put up or shut up" at a shared league ground becomes the only option.

The EFL have a stated requirement of ground moves being no more than 6 miles from the existing stadium. Coventry are under very strict rules regarding their move, the conditions are copied below and we couldn’t even post the bond:-

"The EFL remains firmly of the view that its member clubs should play in the towns and cities from which they take their name.

"A number of conditions have been placed on the club to ensure progress is made in regard to finding a solution to getting the club back playing in Coventry at the earliest opportunity including the payment of a £1m bond and a quarterly review in order for the board to be updated on developments ahead of season 2020-21."
no avatar
User

whoareya

Postby whoareya » December 2nd, 2019, 11:10 am

A landlord cant just increase the venue costs unless the original agreement from 2017 has expired, or that the entitlement to increase costs was already in the agreement.
no avatar
User

rncfc

Caerphilly

Postby rncfc » December 2nd, 2019, 11:16 am

whoareya wrote:A landlord cant just increase the venue costs unless the original agreement from 2017 has expired, or that the entitlement to increase costs was already in the agreement.

Well they've already managed to do it during the term of the existing agreement, and it's up for review in the near future.
no avatar
User

whoareya

Postby whoareya » December 2nd, 2019, 11:22 am

rncfc wrote:
whoareya wrote:A landlord cant just increase the venue costs unless the original agreement from 2017 has expired, or that the entitlement to increase costs was already in the agreement.

Well they've already managed to do it during the term of the existing agreement, and it's up for review in the near future.

There must have always been an entitlement to do so then, its down to Newport rugby club to check the small print now.
no avatar
User

county37

Postby county37 » December 2nd, 2019, 12:57 pm

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:

The EFL have a stated requirement of ground moves being no more than 6 miles from the existing stadium. Coventry are under very strict rules regarding their move, the conditions are copied below and we couldn’t even post the bond:-

"The EFL remains firmly of the view that its member clubs should play in the towns and cities from which they take their name.

"A number of conditions have been placed on the club to ensure progress is made in regard to finding a solution to getting the club back playing in Coventry at the earliest opportunity including the payment of a £1m bond and a quarterly review in order for the board to be updated on developments ahead of season 2020-21."

are you suggesting that the distance from the ricoh to st Andrews is 6 miles? I've just checked it's 16 miles.
no avatar
User

Taunton Iron Cider

Taunton

Postby Taunton Iron Cider » December 2nd, 2019, 1:27 pm

county37 wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:

are you suggesting that the distance from the ricoh to st Andrews is 6 miles? I've just checked it's 16 miles.

You’re absolutely correct on the distance of 16 miles, however because it is outside the 6 miles max I guess is the reason why a bond of £1m has had to be posted to make sure they return.
I just wonder if the enforcement of these rules is to avoid another MK Dons situation occurring via the back door.
PreviousNext