Re: A new decade

One thing's for sure, we all of us love this football club. For some, a mini run of consecutive defeats bloody hurts, but it must be said, and I think it has to be said, that our beloved Newport County, end this decade, with more stability than we've enjoyed for ages, some great cup exploits behind us, some trips to Wembley, a return to League football, and well on our way to becoming fully re-established in the League, and as I've noted on a number of occasions, looking in general, Newport County as a League club, are currently harder to beat at home than we've ever been I reckon.
We have around 670 home fans more in attendance, our average gate is very respectable.....so yes, I think it has been a really great decade.
I've really enjoyed the steady improvement. That's all I personally have ever asked for. I don't expect it all overnight.

SUB TOPIC: re attendances over the last ten years:
I thought it worth noting that ten years ago, the season 2009-10 saw us winning the Conference South in what was a very memorable season up to then.
Our average home League gate was 1842 including away fans (numbers not known)
This season, a decade later, we have as it stands, an average home gate of 4031 including away fans (current average 354)

So over the last decade, we've gone up two tiers, and increased our average gate by 118%.

If in another decade, we go up ANOTHER two tiers to The Championship, stadium capacity permitting, I wonder what our average gate would be as a Championship club?
What's clear, is that so far, the progress has definitely been apparent. Looking back at some of the teams we played that season, pretty much the ONLY team to progress is Newport County.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Hate to be pedantic but the new decade will start on 1st January 2021.

And yes everyone did celebrate the new millennium a year early, that began on 1st January 2001.
You think that is pedantic Brendan? How about this. Leap years are normally every 4 years, unless they are century years. Century years are not leap years unless they are divisible by 400. The year 2000 was, so it was a leap year.

As special branch has described, nobody really gave a toss about this when I tried to explain this to them 20 years ago. I have no idea why :grin: Now there is pedantry for you.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Hate to be pedantic but the new decade will start on 1st January 2021.

And yes everyone did celebrate the new millennium a year early, that began on 1st January 2001.
You think that is pedantic Brendan? How about this. Leap years are normally every 4 years, unless they are century years. Century years are not leap years unless they are divisible by 400. The year 2000 was, so it was a leap year.

As special branch has described, nobody really gave a toss about this when I tried to explain this to them 20 years ago. I have no idea why :grin: Now there is pedantry for you.
It's because the earth takes a fraction over 365 and a quarter days to complete one orbit of the of the sun, therefore 3 out of every 4 century years is not a leap year in order to keep the earth on astronomical track. Is there anyone left alive that was alive in 1900, the last century year that wasn't a leap year? Now is explaining this pedantic or anal?

Obviously the last decade has been one of almost constant improvement. Hoping for it to continue the trend in the next decade. Hope I stick around long enough to enjoy it.