Re: VAR

I've stopped watching the EPL. Nowadays the Premier League results seem as remote as reading the overnight cricket scores during an away series in Australia.

So VAR is largely a mystery to a League Two fan like me. :-)

JonD wrote:I've stopped watching the EPL. Nowadays the Premier League results seem as remote as reading the overnight cricket scores during an away series in Australia.

So VAR is largely a mystery to a League Two fan like me. :-)
Seldom bother now myself mate, spoils all the spontaneity of goal celebrations etc. I prefer a bit of serendipity, don’t care if there’s a dubious decision now and again. Money and this nonsense is ruining the fun imho. Or perhaps I’m a miserable old soab.

Works ok in cricket, rugby, tennis etc which has natural breaks so people are used to pauses in play.
Sadly there is so much money at stake now in the Premier League that mistakes by officials could be costly. Could be one day that a club relegated by virtue of a wrong decision could sue somebody. Far fetched but never say never.
Personally I hate it but I think it's here to stay.

The problem with VAR is that it is always right. However, it acknowledges the letter of the law and not the spirit. A bit like the legal system. All spontaneous enjoyment regarding goal scoring has gone. That is, until VAR has either allowed or disallowed it. Bloody crazy that a 'correct' system has so many flaws. The way it is used is wrong in my opinion.

George Street-Bridge wrote:They seem to have forgotten that it's supposed to be about obvious mistakes. There should be a category of decision for "Would have been invisible to the naked eye in real time".

VAR checks every Premier League goal. For subjective decisions such as a foul or handball the video official will suggest but offside is not subjective and therefore it would appear becomes mandatory.

The issue really is simple. VAR slows the flow of the game which is bad, it means more correct decisions which is good.

Two points, no matter how good VAR is there will always be marginal decisions. A yard offside VAR will get right. An inch? A tenth of an inch? A thousandth of an inch?

Secondly if you take every variable out of the game the best team will win much more often. Perfect pitches, infallible officials, not really football as we love it, is it?

Saw it in action in Germany, the ref stopped the game went to the screen to view it himself before changing the decision. There was a replay played on the big screen with an explanation (not that I could understand it). Seemed to work much better than it does over here.

I think the best way to 'tweak' the present situation is to give a VAR decision within a certain timeframe. Have the VAR ref following the action and giving an answer as quickly as possible. 45 seconds should be sufficient. The clock starts automatically if a VAR decision is required. Any current delay over a certain time period means that VAR is not quite sure and needs further checking. That is ruining the game.

I just hope that they get it sorted soon or with technological advances and costs inevitably coming down it will be expanded to the whole of the EFL. Heaven help the smaller clubs then. The average punter will probably say 'f*** this', I'm going somewhere else.

Sad times but a bit like a lot of modern technology, you can't uninvent it, only modify it.