Re: VAR

Exile 1976 wrote:Without VAR Tottenham would have been robbed of a place in the CL final.
I think it just needs tweaking.
WITH VAR , Tottenham were given a lifeline against Norwich today ?? Should’ve been 2-0 down if it weren’t for Pukki’s foreskin being offside ???
Just saying

Can't have it both ways. We, ALL of us have spent our football-watching lives complaining about the incidents which have gone against our team / what the ref missed / what the lino should have seen / the sneaky fouls gone unpunished / the obvious off-sides etc etc. So now we have a solution. Be careful what you wish for I say.

George Street-Bridge wrote:But the key phrase there is "what the lino should have seen". Loads of decisions would have been literally impossible to spot. They should redefine "level with".
A referee or linesman can only give what they see. VAR allows for more to be seen. There will always be marginal decisions. Once VAR is bedded in the question is does the increase in correct decisions warrant the slowing down of the game. There are two views, both subjective both valid.

Norwich,Palace and Brighton scored goals that were so marginal that to be ruled out is nonsense.Norwich and Palace lost points because of it and it could be the difference between staying up or relegation.Sheffield had a nutty one recently when a toe near the touchline was deemed to be offside.It has to be clear otherwise leave it go.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:But the key phrase there is "what the lino should have seen". Loads of decisions would have been literally impossible to spot. They should redefine "level with".
A referee or linesman can only give what they see. VAR allows for more to be seen. There will always be marginal decisions. Once VAR is bedded in the question is does the increase in correct decisions warrant the slowing down of the game. There are two views, both subjective both valid.
But the assistant referees are now holding back on giving what they see. They still see it but pass the buck to the referee and therefore the remote panel to give such marginal decisions that it spoils the flow. Thank goodness it doesn't apply in League Two and hopefully (probably?) never will.

To me, the expression "OFF side", implies that someone is BEYOND something....therefore it should not be off side if the player is in LINE with. In my view, "all the player should be BEYOND the other player" to be offside.

excessbee wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
But the assistant referees are now holding back on giving what they see. They still see it but pass the buck to the referee and therefore the remote panel to give such marginal decisions that it spoils the flow. Thank goodness it doesn't apply in League Two and hopefully (probably?) never will.
I used to think with offside it would make sense for the linesman to signal but for play to continue. Only examine by VAR if a goal is scored.Then someone on here pointed out what if the play resulted in a corner? Or a penalty?

There is no perfect system. For me VAR is both good and bad.

The one major problem for me with VAR and offside decisions is at what point does a player's foot passing the ball to the "scoring" player actually register in the VAR system.

It's all well and good saying that 1 cm of a player's shoulder is offside at the point a screen is frozen and all the dotted lines are plotted to prove the offside .... but a foot is in contact with the ball for a split second not a nano second when a ball is struck. How does VAR decide the exact point at which a pass is made.

For me there should be a tolerance of perhaps +/- 5cm whereby a player can be for example 5 cm "offside" but given onside because I can't see what technology is being used to decide the exact point at which a ball is passed.

Sorry if this is a bit wordy but I hope I make my point.

PS. For me Pukki's goal yesterday was "onside" ... oh no it wasn't. :lol:

"The most crucial moment for an offside decision is the moment that the ball is struck by the player passing the ball. The player he is attempting to pass to can be stood in offside decision up until the moment the pass is made, but when the ball leaves his foot or head the attacking player needs to be level with the penultimate player."

What type of eyesight does an official have if he can see both of these things happening ??

What ever happened to the benefit of doubt going to the attacking side with “marginal” offside decisions ?
Even some of the VAR offside decisions are still wrong anyway imo ??? Norwich yesterday being the perfect example . He just wasn’t offside in my eye , and that’s after watching replays and computer graphics repeatedly for about 5 minutes !!!
Sorry ....... it’s ruining the game

If anyone is in any doubt regarding the fact that VAR is spoiling the game, just have a look at the two VAR decisions in the last 5 mins of the 1st half of the Liverpool v Wolves game. Spontaneity has gone from the game. It’s a shambles.

pembsexile wrote:If anyone is in any doubt regarding the fact that VAR is spoiling the game, just have a look at the two VAR decisions in the last 5 mins of the 1st half of the Liverpool v Wolves game. Spontaneity has gone from the game. It’s a shambles.
Totally agree spontaneity has gone. VAR has to be tweaked somehow. For me it should be Liverpool 1 Wolves 1 at H/T. The offside is absolutely not a clear and obvious error ( I know that's not the rule ). VAR is switching a lot of people off.
Last edited by Dave John on December 29th, 2019, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave John wrote:
pembsexile wrote:If anyone is in any doubt regarding the fact that VAR is spoiling the game, just have a look at the two VAR decisions in the last 5 mins of the 1st half of the Liverpool v Wolves game. Spontaneity has gone from the game. It’s a shambles.
Totally agree spontaneity has gone. VAR has to be tweeked somehow. For me it should be Liverpool 1 Wolves 1 at H/T. The offside is absolutely not a clear and obvious error ( I know that's not the rule ). VAR is switching a lot of people off.
..."it's not football anymore.... It's not football anymore!"..... (Norwich City fans v Spurs)