Re: Transfer Window News/Gossip

Attacking full-back from Crewe Daniel Powell, not played much this year but, sods law, he's just hit some good form. Always good for 5-6 goals a season and (I think) lives in Glocs.

Desperately need a more mobile, inventive midfielder also, someone capable of sitting and shoring up the midfield while Sheehan drives forward.

Not expecting many to agree with me, but I think we need another big target man as an alternative to Matt. Last season a lot of our attacking play was develop around Matt being able to win headers and/or lay off the ball to a teammate, thus creating pressure on the opposition and attacks developing from that. This season he has been far less effective whether that be due to the opposition marking him more tightly by fair means or foul; or loss of form; or a combination of both.
I'm sure people will say then keep the ball on the floor. It would be nice if we were able to do so all the time, but lets be realistic, that isn't going to happen, through a combination of the inability of the players to consistently pass accurately; or those occasions when a hoofball is the only or best option when under pressure. Plus of course an aerial presence is important to challenge for crosses/freekicks/corners into the box.

Percy plunkett wrote:
Ncfc1995 wrote:Brandon Cooper at Rodney Parade today watching Newport County. Could he be heading there on loan potentially?

Seen this retweed on twitter he a cb no league appearance just 1 Cup game
Surely,it's not CB's we need,how about a couple of midfielders.
I agree mate 2 midfielders ship out 2 strikers and replace them with goal scorers we already have 5 defenders

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Not expecting many to agree with me, but I think we need another big target man as an alternative to Matt. Last season a lot of our attacking play was develop around Matt being able to win headers and/or lay off the ball to a teammate, thus creating pressure on the opposition and attacks developing from that. This season he has been far less effective whether that be due to the opposition marking him more tightly by fair means or foul; or loss of form; or a combination of both.
I'm sure people will say then keep the ball on the floor. It would be nice if we were able to do so all the time, but lets be realistic, that isn't going to happen, through a combination of the inability of the players to consistently pass accurately; or those occasions when a hoofball is the only or best option when under pressure. Plus of course an aerial presence is important to challenge for crosses/freekicks/corners into the box.
I don't think Matt has played badly but agree that opposition defenders are marking him closer and applying the odd elbow to his back when he jumps for a ball hoofed forward. What I think we need is Sheehan or Wilmott playing no more than 5 yards from Matt and reacting to his knock-downs.

MF's recruitment this season has been odd, piles of defenders bought in the summer, plus extra forwards to add to those we kept, yet overlooking the midfield where we need better options, and did last season also. Strange as it sounds, I think MF would make a better contribution to the team on the pitch than on the sideline at present. Either that or just accept that putting round pegs in square holes doesn't work. Play a simple 442 - 2 wingers with enough energy to get forward rather than defend, 1 midfielder in the MF mould, hard-working, shutting down space, allowing the other (Sheehan) to play just behind the front two.

Whoever is recruited, please at least watch them play 2+ times before thrusting a lengthy contract under their nose. And then, regardless of how well/badly they play, never criticise them in the press, save that for the dressing room if needed.

Ncfc1995 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
Ncfc1995 wrote:Brandon Cooper at Rodney Parade today watching Newport County. Could he be heading there on loan potentially?

I agree mate 2 midfielders ship out 2 strikers and replace them with goal scorers we already have 5 defenders
Hopefully someone can correct me if I wrong, but will we only have Innis and Bennett available as CB's for Sat, and no recognised right back?
Whilst accepting the need for extra midfielders, that is of course based on the assumption that we are able to attract and afford players who are able to improve the midfield.
As for shipping out 2 strikers for goal scorers, as far as I'm aware only Abrahams is a loanee and maybe a return can be agreed with Norwich, but aren't Matt, Amond, Poleon and Azzej (apologies if I've spelt his name wrong) all under contract, and would need to agree to move on? As for obtaining goal scorers I'm sure that will be easier said than done. Afterall there will be fierce competition for any such players during this transfer window.
Having said this, lets hope some new players can be acquired to improve the squad.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Ncfc1995 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:

Hopefully someone can correct me if I wrong, but will we only have Innis and Bennett available as CB's for Sat, and no recognised right back?
Whilst accepting the need for extra midfielders, that is of course based on the assumption that we are able to attract and afford players who are able to improve the midfield.
As for shipping out 2 strikers for goal scorers, as far as I'm aware only Abrahams is a loanee and maybe a return can be agreed with Norwich, but aren't Matt, Amond, Poleon and Azzej (apologies if I've spelt his name wrong) all under contract, and would need to agree to move on? As for obtaining goal scorers I'm sure that will be easier said than done. Afterall there will be fierce competition for any such players during this transfer window.
Having said this, lets hope some new players can be acquired to improve the squad.
Abrahams is on a 2 year contract not on a loan.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Ncfc1995 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:

Abrahams is on a 2 year contract not on a loan.
Apologies my mistake. Will make it even more difficult to move out any strikers then.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Ncfc1995 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:

Post match at Exeter Flynn said “And Mark O’Brien was out due to the concussion protocol, so he won’t be available until the Millwall game and neither will Kyle Howkins."

so both could be back in the squad for Saturday.

jammer08 wrote:Poleon hasn’t had a proper chance yet IMO. I think we should start him Saturday. He has some experience playing against sides in higher divisions so why not?
Because the two cup games where he started,he looked average at best.It seemed a panic signing on the transfer deadline and it has proved to be.Last January,another panic buy in Azeez only this time incredibly a two and a half year deal.Not sure what Flynny was thinking there and not sure when he will be fit but,I do know he won't score many,if at all,and is also deadwood.