Re: Should Flynny leave

Now this point last season I would have said 5 but when Poole arrived we kind of played an asymetrical 442. Poole played as a rightback sometimes overlapping where as Butler on the left as a wing back, with the nominal left midfielder tucking in, which was how we played for most of our good run in the latter stages. So my vote goes to 4 at the back.

Est.1912 wrote:Now this point last season I would have said 5 but when Poole arrived we kind of played an asymetrical 442. Poole played as a rightback sometimes overlapping where as Butler on the left as a wing back, with the nominal left midfielder tucking in, which was how we played for most of our good run in the latter stages. So my vote goes to 4 at the back.
That will confuse the OP.

I think we'll be lucky to play 3 at the back with all the injuries. Who's going to play right back? McNamara can't play and Willmott injured. If Demetriou doesn't recover then Bennet will have to play at the back, which isn't a bad thing. The midfield isn't looking too good either, especially if Labadie isn't fit. Probably Sheehan, Dolan, Malony & Nurse :(

States in Argus that O'Brien and Howkins are back.

The last couple of games we've played without a natural right sided midfielder and have been disjointed, with the players available it was crying out for a back 3 with wing backs.

Think without a recognised right back that we would be better off with a back 3, more cover for whoever does fill in on the right.

If we play a back 3 with wing-backs playing out of position at somewhere like The New Den, with their noisy crowd, we'll get torn a new a--hole. Our wing-backs wouldn't get out of their own half knowing the sort of high pressing Rowett's teams play.

As much as I hate saying it, there's only one way to get a draw at Millwall and that's playing to our strengths - long balls up to JM and PA. I can see Collins playing a big part also, and suspect that Townsend will be back in goal (seeing as it's King's former team and he'll get hounded by the fans behind him).

Ugo. wrote:How would playing someone out of position at wingback be worse than playing someone out of position at right back? At least with wing backs we have cover behind them and have more chance of getting out than a back 4 with no width
Good point, but I guess a wingback is expected to get up and down the pitch, supporting the attack more than a traditional full-back would. And I don't think we've got anyone currently fit at the club with the energy and nous to take on Championship players like this.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
Ugo. wrote:How would playing someone out of position at wingback be worse than playing someone out of position at right back? At least with wing backs we have cover behind them and have more chance of getting out than a back 4 with no width
Good point, but I guess a wingback is expected to get up and down the pitch, supporting the attack more than a traditional full-back would. And I don't think we've got anyone currently fit at the club with the energy and nous to take on Championship players like this.
Understand but the trouble is we are without a recognised right midfielder and right back, trying to fill both with players playing out of position would be suicide in my eyes. Better to play Jefferies or Nurse as a right wing back and then have cover at centre half and centre midfield.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:If we play a back 3 with wing-backs playing out of position at somewhere like The New Den, with their noisy crowd, we'll get torn a new a--hole. Our wing-backs wouldn't get out of their own half knowing the sort of high pressing Rowett's teams play.

As much as I hate saying it, there's only one way to get a draw at Millwall and that's playing to our strengths - long balls up to JM and PA. I can see Collins playing a big part also, and suspect that Townsend will be back in goal (seeing as it's King's former team and he'll get hounded by the fans behind him).
Won’t be any home fans behind the goal and if there were I am sure King would manage. Only one stand is open for the home fans, be surprised if there is more than 5,000 of them so unlikely to be that much of an atmosphere.