Back to work after the holiday.

We all know that feeling and that metaphorically speaking is where we're at after our exit from the fa cup. We've had a great holiday, it didn't last as long as the 2 previous extended holidays which were brilliant and provided great memories.

I'm 57 and this is the first time I've seen this great club make the 3rd round and beyond 3 seasons on the bounce. Add to this the fact that we went away to Gillingham and won to set up the West Ham tie then we've had a great cup season.

Anyway it's back to the day job which is our bread and butter. I mentioned above that it's the first time I've seen us make the 3rd round 3 years on the bounce but I've only ever seen 1 promotion from this level as a young and lot lighter 18 year old. I'd love nothing more than to see the players and staff share that experience with the fans.

Who knows perhaps there's still a surprise holiday where we get to a 5 star holiday resort. Could we? Surely not.

Re: Back to work after the holiday.

supporter wrote:We all know that feeling and that metaphorically speaking is where we're at after our exit from the fa cup. We've had a great holiday, it didn't last as long as the 2 previous extended holidays which were brilliant and provided great memories.

I'm 57 and this is the first time I've seen this great club make the 3rd round and beyond 3 seasons on the bounce. Add to this the fact that we went away to Gillingham and won to set up the West Ham tie then we've had a great cup season.

Anyway it's back to the day job which is our bread and butter. I mentioned above that it's the first time I've seen us make the 3rd round 3 years on the bounce but I've only ever seen 1 promotion from this level as a young and lot lighter 18 year old. I'd love nothing more than to see the players and staff share that experience with the fans.

Who knows perhaps there's still a surprise holiday where we get to a 5 star holiday resort. Could we? Surely not.
Evening mate
I know you were looking forward to today so hope the trip was worth it. Apart from the result.
Panto for me with grandkids.

See you next match mate

supporter wrote:We all know that feeling and that metaphorically speaking is where we're at after our exit from the fa cup. We've had a great holiday, it didn't last as long as the 2 previous extended holidays which were brilliant and provided great memories.

That would be a great holiday. I was 24 the last time it happened.

I loved it Frank had a great day. Got to Bermondsey about 9.30 great couple of hours in a local Wetherspooms then onto the game.

Nearly 900 fans just enjoying themselves. Never a 3-0 game and I'd rather focus on the achievement of getting to the 3rd round for 3 years on the bounce.

It's a measure of how far we've come when you get the impression the players and staff think they've failed by going to a championship club who are flying and not getting at least a draw.

So now it's back to the day job. I love holidays but I also enjoy the day to day togetherness of being in a good team, having the craic and having each others backs.

Frank every game now is a cup tie. We've actually got a really positive free hit game tuesday against a league 1 team. Win great, lose no big deal.

As for promotion, look history js against us but in 1978 I got an o level in history, it's about the past you can't change it but you can learn from it and look to write yourselves into the history books.

How great was Walsall away it feels like yesterday then we took 3 thousand fans to Shrewsbury to win the Welsh cup.

Newport is a great place to live, the people are genuine and real but we've always had to fight against the odds. Our football team matters, we care about it, when we lost it, it broke our hearts.

Let's have a go at building the future.

supporter wrote:Frank every game now is a cup tie. We've actually got a really positive free hit game tuesday against a league 1 team. Win great, lose no big deal.

As for promotion, look history js against us but in 1978 I got an o level in history, it's about the past you can't change it but you can learn from it and look to write yourselves into the history books.

How great was Walsall away it feels like yesterday then we took 3 thousand fans to Shrewsbury to win the Welsh cup.

Newport is a great place to live, the people are genuine and real but we've always had to fight against the odds. Our football team matters, we care about it, when we lost it, it broke our hearts.

From day one of us rejoining the League, I have always said it will take 15 seasons to fully re-establish the name of Newport County as a League club. Along the way there'll be ups and downs. Chairmen will come and go, managers and players will always come and go. What's important is that we don't get relegated, and that we try for promotion.
I realise that fans will want success now, overnight, but that is not what's always best for a Club.
I tend to judge the Club in seasons, or groups of seasons and look at its progress over that time. I don't measure it over one match, or groups of matches.
What we need to do is build the club, while we enjoy watching the team. And let's be fair, overall the last ten seasons or so have been a period of steady progress, with some exciting times along the way.....let's build the NEXT ten years!

newgroundrodney wrote:
supporter wrote:Frank every game now is a cup tie. We've actually got a really positive free hit game tuesday against a league 1 team. Win great, lose no big deal.

From day one of us rejoining the League, I have always said it will take 15 seasons to fully re-establish the name of Newport County as a League club. Along the way there'll be ups and downs. Chairmen will come and go, managers and players will always come and go. What's important is that we don't get relegated, and that we try for promotion.
I realise that fans will want success now, overnight, but that is not what's always best for a Club.
I tend to judge the Club in seasons, or groups of seasons and look at its progress over that time. I don't measure it over one match, or groups of matches.
What we need to do is build the club, while we enjoy watching the team. And let's be fair, overall the last ten seasons or so have been a period of steady progress, with some exciting times along the way.....let's build the NEXT ten years!
Hi Gary,

First and foremost great to see you posting and really hope you are on the mend.

Now to disagree. :grin:

Whilst you have always been consistent in your view that it will take 15 seasons for County to establish themselves as a League club I just can't agree.

Wimbledon, who had never been a League club before played their first League game in August 1977. In May 1988 having finished sixth in the old Division 1, defeated Liverpool in the Cup final. Whilst I grant you that was exceptional in my view that rather disproves the 15 year analysis.

Where I might agree is that the development of a fit for purpose stadium might take fifteen years, sadly seven years in there has been no progress.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

Hi Gary,

First and foremost great to see you posting and really hope you are on the mend.

Whilst you have always been consistent in your view that it will take 15 seasons for County to establish themselves as a League club I just can't agree.

Wimbledon, who had never been a League club before played their first League game in August 1977. In May 1988 having finished sixth in the old Division 1, defeated Liverpool in the Cup final. Whilst I grant you that was exceptional in my view that rather disproves the 15 year analysis.

Where I might agree is that the development of a fit for purpose stadium might take fifteen years, sadly seven years in there has been no progress.
....Hi Brendan, thanks for you kind thoughts.
I think the point about Wimbledon is that they weren't missing from senior football for over two decades. Their name was never really missing to the extent that County's was.
For that reason, many people may regard Wimbledon as re-established fairly quickly, but there are teams who went out of business who have still yet to reach the position County have. I just feel we're about half way to where we need to be.
When we have 15-20 yr old fans, who only remember us as a League team, I'll say we've made it back.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

Hi Gary,

....Hi Brendan, thanks for you kind thoughts.
I think the point about Wimbledon is that they weren't missing from senior football for over two decades. Their name was never really missing to the extent that County's was.
For that reason, many people may regard Wimbledon as re-established fairly quickly, but there are teams who went out of business who have still yet to reach the position County have. I just feel we're about half way to where we need to be.
When we have 15-20 yr old fans, who only remember us as a League team, I'll say we've made it back.
I think we may be at cross purposes. Wimbledon in 1978 were in their first incarnation.