Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Spiderman wrote:One of the best decisions the club made was reintroducing the name County in 1999, Newport AFC served a purpose but never felt the same as..going time watch the County.
I get that we had to change the name so that the newer club would be distanced from the debts of the old club, so that the newer club was a separate entity, but I'm glad that once it was deemed safe enough to do so, the word "County" was re-instated.
In my view, enough time has now elapsed to do away with the AFC part, at least in day to day use. To me, it sounds silly every time Tim says it over the tannoy.
I'll make it clear though, as a non Newportonian, I would never have started following again, had the name "County" not returned.....if it ever were to disappear in the future, so would my support.
The only team from Newport I'll ever support, is one that has the words Newport and County in that order!

newgroundrodney wrote:
Spiderman wrote:One of the best decisions the club made was reintroducing the name County in 1999, Newport AFC served a purpose but never felt the same as..going time watch the County.
I get that we had to change the name so that the newer club would be distanced from the debts of the old club, so that the newer club was a separate entity, but I'm glad that once it was deemed safe enough to do so, the word "County" was re-instated.
In my view, enough time has now elapsed to do away with the AFC part, at least in day to day use. To me, it sounds silly every time Tim says it over the tannoy.
I'll make it clear though, as a non Newportonian, I would never have started following again, had the name "County" not returned.....if it ever were to disappear in the future, so would my support.
The only team from Newport I'll ever support, is one that has the words Newport and County in that order!

Yes, that’s true for me too even though I was born in the city. Totally illogical though, like many things that are associated with being a football fan. We’re a weird lot .

lowandhard wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

Yes, that’s true for me too even though I was born in the city. Totally illogical though, like many things that are associated with being a football fan. We’re a weird lot .
Spot on mate. As I have tried to explain to others, there is a logical (legal) side and an emotional illogical side. I’m on the wierdo’s side. Emotion all the way for me.

Furthermore, I only ever say I am going over to the football or Newport with people who have no idea who we are. To everyone else it’s ‘Im going over the County’.

Ha ha, like it Phil.

Just to finish on this one club/two club debate...

It really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. When I talk about the County, pre & post 1989, I do not refer to them as old or new. As others do, in my own mind I consider the new, just a continuation of the old. That said, you cannot simply ignore the facts, because you don't like them. Our old club did die, it went bust, the Chairman/owner was a conman. We were locked out of the ground, the assets were sold off, it was no more. The new incarnation was set up by County people to continue to have a football club in the (then) town. For that band of men & women involved, it was a big thing at the time. I cannot imagine that many are quite so precious about it now.

We all support the County, we have memories of trips to Wembley, League and Cup double successes, European exploits, Re election battles and that awful blue & white kit..! So in our minds it's one Club.

So, as you see, it does not really matter. However, the AFC bit is important, because without the fight and determination of Newport AFC, as it was, there would be no Newport County (AFC) today. Strangely AFC Wimbledon, are proud to be called that. They didn't go bust, they had their club stolen/sold down the river..!

To dismiss the facts as opinions could be considered somewhat disrespectful to those who kept football going in Newport and delivered the dream of seeing a Newport team in the Football League again.

The one club we all need to get behind, is the one putting out a team to play at Scunthorpe tomorrow.

Up the County.

A great example of how a thread morphs from the intended subject to something else, in this case from the point about black shorts yielding better results to the points about the name and continuity of the team we all support. A great discussion nevertheless.

Anyway lets hope the BLACKANDAMBERS come back with all 3 points this afternoon.

Percy plunkett wrote:
llanwern exile wrote:Black shorts amber shorts meh!! I say we go full on retro back to the 70s and wear those lovely b&a stripped shorts we wore for a while back then, bloody luverly they was.
They lasted all of one game against Brentford.They somehow got lost in the laundry or something.
Good job too! they didn't do my stomach any good! I was still laughing when they called shut tap in the Milton.

countyareup wrote:Ha ha, like it Phil.

It really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. When I talk about the County, pre & post 1989, I do not refer to them as old or new. As others do, in my own mind I consider the new, just a continuation of the old. That said, you cannot simply ignore the facts, because you don't like them. Our old club did die, it went bust, the Chairman/owner was a conman. We were locked out of the ground, the assets were sold off, it was no more. The new incarnation was set up by County people to continue to have a football club in the (then) town. For that band of men & women involved, it was a big thing at the time. I cannot imagine that many are quite so precious about it now.

We all support the County, we have memories of trips to Wembley, League and Cup double successes, European exploits, Re election battles and that awful blue & white kit..! So in our minds it's one Club.

So, as you see, it does not really matter. However, the AFC bit is important, because without the fight and determination of Newport AFC, as it was, there would be no Newport County (AFC) today. Strangely AFC Wimbledon, are proud to be called that. They didn't go bust, they had their club stolen/sold down the river..!

To dismiss the facts as opinions could be considered somewhat disrespectful to those who kept football going in Newport and delivered the dream of seeing a Newport team in the Football League again.

The one club we all need to get behind, is the one putting out a team to play at Scunthorpe tomorrow.

Up the County.
Take a bow that man ^ :grin:

countyareup wrote:Ha ha, like it Phil.

Up the County.
The AFC matters to you. And I totally get that and I respect that.

The AFC doesn't matter to me. And it's not disrespectful to anyone that I feel that way.

I think it's great women play football. I believe that it should be shown on the television. I think it's great that girls are inspired to play sport. That I have absolutely no interest in women's football does not mean I disrespect it.

Newport County ceased to exist in 1939 until 1945. Was it the same club after the war? Nottingham Forest were the last club to become a limited company. Did the old Nottingham Forest cease to exist when that was changed in the '70's? AFC Bournemouth a different club from Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic? Are Chester, Bristol City, Halifax, new clubs? How about Glasgow Rangers?