There's Power in the Shorts

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Posts

3079

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Percy plunkett » January 8th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I've always preferred black short but we should have amber socks. It always was that way back in the day (apart from that horrible blue and white stripes season, and we did play in tangerine for a while).


Not forgetting the orange amber of the 1970's as opposed to old gold amber.

Whilst I agree with Pembs about the reason for wanting black shorts being it's part of our history I think it might also be an age thing. Both myself and Mike are far closer to the grave than we are to the cradle. Our earliest memories of County are black and amber. Not orange, not blue. It may be that people now in their 40's and 50's prefer the kit they first saw back in the 1970's. A kit I don't like.

As ever interested in the views of others.

You will accept that you and Pembs memories here relate to Newport County FC which was a separate club to the one you now follow.I know this because David Hando reminds us all of this fact in his new book.In fact,in our 30 year history,this new football club have played in all Amber for eight seasons so it is also part of the tradition of AFC,this club as well.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Posts

2019

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » January 8th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Sorry Percy I don't care what David Hando says in his book etc etc.
Since I first saw the boys in 1954 this is Newport County the same side, same history regardless of all the huge hiccups on the way.
No 2 clubs just Newport County.
Always will be black/amber despite all the crap over the years.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

15289

Location

MT

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Exile 1976 » January 8th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I've always preferred black short but we should have amber socks. It always was that way back in the day (apart from that horrible blue and white stripes season, and we did play in tangerine for a while).


Not forgetting the orange amber of the 1970's as opposed to old gold amber.

Whilst I agree with Pembs about the reason for wanting black shorts being it's part of our history I think it might also be an age thing. Both myself and Mike are far closer to the grave than we are to the cradle. Our earliest memories of County are black and amber. Not orange, not blue. It may be that people now in their 40's and 50's prefer the kit they first saw back in the 1970's. A kit I don't like.

As ever interested in the views of others.

You will accept that you and Pembs memories here relate to Newport County FC which was a separate club to the one you now follow.I know this because David Hando reminds us all of this fact in his new book.In fact,in our 30 year history,this new football club have played in all Amber for eight seasons so it is also part of the tradition of AFC,this club as well.



Nope. I supported the same Newport County back then as I do now.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

12866

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Stan A. Einstein » January 8th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I've always preferred black short but we should have amber socks. It always was that way back in the day (apart from that horrible blue and white stripes season, and we did play in tangerine for a while).


Not forgetting the orange amber of the 1970's as opposed to old gold amber.

Whilst I agree with Pembs about the reason for wanting black shorts being it's part of our history I think it might also be an age thing. Both myself and Mike are far closer to the grave than we are to the cradle. Our earliest memories of County are black and amber. Not orange, not blue. It may be that people now in their 40's and 50's prefer the kit they first saw back in the 1970's. A kit I don't like.

As ever interested in the views of others.

You will accept that you and Pembs memories here relate to Newport County FC which was a separate club to the one you now follow.I know this because David Hando reminds us all of this fact in his new book.In fact,in our 30 year history,this new football club have played in all Amber for eight seasons so it is also part of the tradition of AFC,this club as well.


.

If you wish to regard the present club as a separate club you can do so. I don't.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Posts

2019

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » January 8th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Just plain daft.

Only ever 1 Newport County for always I hope
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Posts

3079

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Percy plunkett » January 8th, 2020, 10:43 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I've always preferred black short but we should have amber socks. It always was that way back in the day (apart from that horrible blue and white stripes season, and we did play in tangerine for a while).


Not forgetting the orange amber of the 1970's as opposed to old gold amber.

Whilst I agree with Pembs about the reason for wanting black shorts being it's part of our history I think it might also be an age thing. Both myself and Mike are far closer to the grave than we are to the cradle. Our earliest memories of County are black and amber. Not orange, not blue. It may be that people now in their 40's and 50's prefer the kit they first saw back in the 1970's. A kit I don't like.

As ever interested in the views of others.

You will accept that you and Pembs memories here relate to Newport County FC which was a separate club to the one you now follow.I know this because David Hando reminds us all of this fact in his new book.In fact,in our 30 year history,this new football club have played in all Amber for eight seasons so it is also part of the tradition of AFC,this club as well.


.

If you wish to regard the present club as a separate club you can do so. I don't.

So you marry a woman,let's say named Flossie.After 20 years of marriage Flossie gets ill and dies.You meet another girl,her name is also Flossie,you have been married to Flossie for 30 years.Someone says to you,Brendan,how many years have you been married to Flossie.What do you say.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Posts

3079

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Percy plunkett » January 8th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Sorry Percy I don't care what David Hando says in his book etc etc.
Since I first saw the boys in 1954 this is Newport County the same side, same history regardless of all the huge hiccups on the way.
No 2 clubs just Newport County.
Always will be black/amber despite all the crap over the years.

Two Newport Countys,there's only two Newport Countys,what did you call us when we were at Moreton,or back at Somerton,or Gloucester.
User avatar
User

Mr Figo

Posts

939

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Mr Figo » January 8th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Shankly changed the Liverpool kit to all red, Revie did it with Leeds to emulate Real Madrid (from an all Blue kit) and Allison did the same with Crystal Palace. Amber and Black Shorts for me- we look better like that (and in line with our history of success) rather than looking like a bunch of players on a pre-season tour in Ibiza.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Posts

2019

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » January 8th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Sorry Percy I don't care what David Hando says in his book etc etc.
Since I first saw the boys in 1954 this is Newport County the same side, same history regardless of all the huge hiccups on the way.
No 2 clubs just Newport County.
Always will be black/amber despite all the crap over the years.

Two Newport Countys,there's only two Newport Countys,what did you call us when we were at Moreton,or back at Somerton,or Gloucester.

Always County.

Never even Newport County when talking about the club
Has never changed.

AFC my Arse
Last edited by Frank Nouble 3 on January 8th, 2020, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Posts

2019

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » January 8th, 2020, 10:58 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I've always preferred black short but we should have amber socks. It always was that way back in the day (apart from that horrible blue and white stripes season, and we did play in tangerine for a while).


Not forgetting the orange amber of the 1970's as opposed to old gold amber.

Whilst I agree with Pembs about the reason for wanting black shorts being it's part of our history I think it might also be an age thing. Both myself and Mike are far closer to the grave than we are to the cradle. Our earliest memories of County are black and amber. Not orange, not blue. It may be that people now in their 40's and 50's prefer the kit they first saw back in the 1970's. A kit I don't like.

As ever interested in the views of others.

You will accept that you and Pembs memories here relate to Newport County FC which was a separate club to the one you now follow.I know this because David Hando reminds us all of this fact in his new book.In fact,in our 30 year history,this new football club have played in all Amber for eight seasons so it is also part of the tradition of AFC,this club as well.


.

If you wish to regard the present club as a separate club you can do so. I don't.

So you marry a woman,let's say named Flossie.After 20 years of marriage Flossie gets ill and dies.You meet another girl,her name is also Flossie,you have been married to Flossie for 30 years.Someone says to you,Brendan,how many years have you been married to Flossie.What do you say.


I would say you are talking bollocks. :lol:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

12866

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Stan A. Einstein » January 8th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:So you marry a woman,let's say named Flossie.After 20 years of marriage Flossie gets ill and dies.You meet another girl,her name is also Flossie,you have been married to Flossie for 30 years.Someone says to you,Brendan,how many years have you been married to Flossie.What do you say.


I say this Percy.

You, David Hando and anyone else who so wishes is perfectly entitled to believe that there is a new club. I, Frank and anyone else is likewise perfectly entitled to believe that there is not a new club.

Having lost my life partner to cancer and then marrying another I have to add that your analogy is ridiculous.
no avatar
User

Spiderman

Posts

211

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Spiderman » January 8th, 2020, 11:48 pm

Always Newport County for me.

Are the old Wimbledon now MK Dons, or AFC Wimbledon?
I’ve never been to MK stadium but do they have photos and memorabilia of Wimbledon’s FA cup win in 1988?, genuinely interested
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

12866

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Stan A. Einstein » January 8th, 2020, 11:55 pm

Spiderman wrote:Always Newport County for me.

Are the old Wimbledon now MK Dons, or AFC Wimbledon?
I’ve never been to MK stadium but do they have photos and memorabilia of Wimbledon’s FA cup win in 1988?, genuinely interested


No. MK Dons gave all the photos, medals, cups and other memorabilia to the fledgling AFC Wimbledon.
no avatar
User

Anto

Posts

355

Location

By yur

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby Anto » January 9th, 2020, 12:28 am

Always Newport County for me playing in Amber and black representing the City of Newport as it always has done. Get rid of this all yellow rubbish kit.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6716

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: There's Power in the Shorts

Postby pembsexile » January 9th, 2020, 6:34 am

Percy plunkett wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I've always preferred black short but we should have amber socks. It always was that way back in the day (apart from that horrible blue and white stripes season, and we did play in tangerine for a while).


Not forgetting the orange amber of the 1970's as opposed to old gold amber.

Whilst I agree with Pembs about the reason for wanting black shorts being it's part of our history I think it might also be an age thing. Both myself and Mike are far closer to the grave than we are to the cradle. Our earliest memories of County are black and amber. Not orange, not blue. It may be that people now in their 40's and 50's prefer the kit they first saw back in the 1970's. A kit I don't like.

As ever interested in the views of others.

You will accept that you and Pembs memories here relate to Newport County FC which was a separate club to the one you now follow.I know this because David Hando reminds us all of this fact in his new book.In fact,in our 30 year history,this new football club have played in all Amber for eight seasons so it is also part of the tradition of AFC,this club as well.


Percy, on top of this very page that I am writing from now, there is a logo which has the words ‘Newport County AFC’ and 1912 on it. It clearly has a black and amber two stripe logo on it. As far as I am concerned, the club can call itself anything it likes in an official capacity, I don’t really care.

There is obviously continuity in the history there. The club plays in the efl representing the city of Newport. I have known it as the County since I was a nipper. We used to play in black and amber and I think we still should. Nothing that the superb David Hando says will ever change that fact. He is talking about legality, I am talking about club history.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exile 1976, Goddard & woods, Gold Coast County, Kairdiff Exile, Trigger, worksop amber and 42 guests

Powered by phpBB ®