Re: Finances

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Have to admit I missed the bit the club being valued at 5million. When was that valuation announced and by whom?
As I recall it was by Sean at the last open meeting.
Take that with a pinch of salt
Sean also said publicly that we made very little from the Wembley Spurs game!
Pluck a number out of the air.
Frank,
If Sean was talking about our cut of the gate money, I can understand why it would be less than some people might expect. From memory the gate was a shade under 39,000 and the ticket price was £10 (with concessions). So the gate receipts were probably £350,000-£400,000. Before we get our 45% cut of that, Spurs are allowed to take out the costs of staging the game which will include the renting of Wembley which I don't for a second imagine comes cheap. I think it likely that the FA got as much, if not more out of the game in rent as we got in our share of the net gate receipts. Compared to a sell out at Old Trafford at full prices, Spurs away that season was probably the least financially beneficial glamour tie available.
Great night all the same and whatever we did get was spent long ago.
Do Newport County have to pay extra rent for Cup-ties at Rodney Parade? I don't know.
Do Spurs have to pay extra rent for Cup ties at Wembley? I don't know. If the answer to the above questions is yes, is that a cost which the FA allow to be deducted? Again I don't know.

Do you know for sure the answers to those questions Paul?
Do me the courtesy of answering my questions first

3 monthly(ish) open meetings, board members available to the public before most home matches, issued (albeit redacted) monthly board meeting minutes, countless hours of work in the community, what else would need to be added for you to be satisfied that the club is adequately engaging with supporters?
What would the club need to do for you to contribute?
How did you reply to the survey?
I have to say Frank, the chances of Amber' ever answering a question are somewhere between remote and none whatsoever.

I was brought up to believe that it was rude to answer a question with another question. There are exceptions to that. However Answer my questions first, is usually just rude. :grin: :grin:
I lifted the phrase "Do me the courtesy of answering my questions first" directly from a post by Stanley A. Einstein posted Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:03 pm in the thread entitled "A message for UPTHEPORT". Go look it up :grin: :grin: :grin:

So how about it Stanley -

3 monthly(ish) open meetings, board members available to the public before most home matches, issued (albeit redacted) monthly board meeting minutes, countless hours of work in the community, what else would need to be added for you to be satisfied that the club is adequately engaging with supporters?
What would the club need to do for you to contribute?
How did you reply to the survey?

The phrase 'hoisted by his own petard' comes to mind.

How very rude of you Stan.

I have the feeling he will either waffle on about 'his' entrapment (which then equates to: what he said cannot be used against him); go on the offensive so as to completely ignore the question put to him; talk some rubbish about a 'fish' quote from The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - the one he used the last time he flounced off the Forum or go completely silent for some time....

Fourthousand wrote:The phrase 'hoisted by his own petard' comes to mind.

How very rude of you Stan.

I have the feeling he will either waffle on about 'his' entrapment (which then equates to: what he said cannot be used against him); go on the offensive so as to completely ignore the question put to him; talk some rubbish about a 'fish' quote from The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - the one he used the last time he flounced off the Forum or go completely silent for some time....
Hopefully it's the latter option

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Have to admit I missed the bit the club being valued at 5million. When was that valuation announced and by whom?
Ok. Interesting . Thanks for that.
Of course you can value the club or anything else for as much as you like, but it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.
Which to the best of my knowledge at the moment is precisely nothing.
I totally agree but a £5m price tag is a hell of a barrier when trying to arouse external interest. Whilst things go well I’m not really certain if the Board has much desire in seeking a financial backer, after all it could push a few noses out of joint.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Of course you can value the club or anything else for as much as you like, but it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.
I totally agree but a £5m price tag is a hell of a barrier when trying to arouse external interest. Whilst things go well I’m not really certain if the Board has much desire in seeking a financial backer, after all it could push a few noses out of joint.
I suspect you are correct

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
I suspect you are correct
Just on the valuation bit (nothing about the personal agenda's bit)..

I'm commenting on the valuation and the comment that it is a 'hell of a barrier....'

I don't see it that way at all if you mean that someone could own the club outright for that investment. Lots of potential future issues arise when you give it all up to a benefactor (too many examples to even start).

Anyone who is interested in owning a football club needs long and deep pockets, much less than this and even I and several (better off) mates might be interested in taking over the club, but you really wouldn't want that as we would be quickly in financial trouble if the club is looking for £300k each and every season to just balance the books or if some big expenditure comes left field ( e.g. like relaying the pitch, stadium related stuff).

So in short, if £5m is an issue - there is nothing to see here would be my response.

A question, to who would they 'pay' the £5M asking price? If that was indeed the fig eg £3m to the Trust (to say buy s share into RP? And £2m in cash to push the club on, training ground, top striker etc...my point being any much less and it isn't going to make the big differences that giving up 100% of the club should mean/it won't provide the 'fuel' needed for the really big step up.

You see it another way to me . Be interested in your comments.

Agree that if any prospective buyer baulks at £5 million then we shouldn’t want them. Whoever wanted to do it then that figure should be in their pocket as small change, running a football club is an expensive business. Even then, there’s nothing stopping them getting fed up and wanting to recoup some cash when they depart for their tropical island - do we learn nothing? :shock: :shock: :shock:

lowandhard wrote:Agree that if any prospective buyer baulks at £5 million then we shouldn’t want them. Whoever wanted to do it then that figure should be in their pocket as small change, running a football club is an expensive business. Even then, there’s nothing stopping them getting fed up and wanting to recoup some cash when they depart for their tropical island - do we learn nothing? :shock: :shock: :shock:
There are really only two options:
1) Fan-owned and hope you have wealthy fans
2) Not fan-owned and hope you have a wealthy owner who does things you like.

I do look at AFC Wimbledon crowd-funding a stadium they're trying to have ready for August 2020 with some envy though, we only seem to respond as a fanbase when we're already lurching towards crisis. Which reminds me, I owe my wife £60 for the annual subscription I signed her up for last year that the club re-extracted from her account without warning the other day. :roll:

SJG99 wrote:
lowandhard wrote:Agree that if any prospective buyer baulks at £5 million then we shouldn’t want them. Whoever wanted to do it then that figure should be in their pocket as small change, running a football club is an expensive business. Even then, there’s nothing stopping them getting fed up and wanting to recoup some cash when they depart for their tropical island - do we learn nothing? :shock: :shock: :shock:
There are really only two options:
1) Fan-owned and hope you have wealthy fans
2) Not fan-owned and hope you have a wealthy owner who does things you like.

I do look at AFC Wimbledon crowd-funding a stadium they're trying to have ready for August 2020 with some envy though, we only seem to respond as a fanbase when we're already lurching towards crisis. Which reminds me, I owe my wife £60 for the annual subscription I signed her up for last year that the club re-extracted from her account without warning the other day. :roll:
Your comments are true in that we are always reacting rather than being proactive. I suspect though that’s because we’re not a rich or very numerous group of fans. I often wonder why happy coincidence hasn’t providently thrown up a very rich man with an interest in the County, after all there’s a fair population to produce one. Like you, I wish I could do more but a season ticket, trust membership, a few aways , some visits to the shop and a few bob here and there is the best I can do in fairness to the family budget. Like I suspect many of us I’m waiting for the lottery to build the lowandhardandinthecorner stadium :? .....

I personally can't see much wrong with the involvement and subsequent departure of LS, he was probably our 'once in a lifetime' benefactor and didn't really want much back for his generosity other than reimbursement for the shares he bought in the first place. Departed with no hostility and has kept a dignified silence ever since, something that his predecessors couldn't manage........

Are there any lessons to be learned from receiving the financial backing on those terms - you can hardly call them terms really, other than the opportunity sit in boardrooms and Royal Boxes.

Ironsider wrote:Quite revealing that a certain poster has gone AWOL after being outed as a hypocrite...

Squirming back underneath a rock springs to mind.
Think you have totally lost everybody on here :?: