Re: Swindon tickets

8 months ago there was an equal chance of Swindon struggling in the league and struggling to sell the full away allocation. Is it turns out they are flying high and could now turn up in enough numbers for our club to put measures in place to discourage them from doing so.

Why do some people offer up obvious hindsight as insightful foresight..........?

daftasfxxx wrote:Flipping hell stan blaming the board for a restriction the police have added is really pathetic even by your standards, what's the matter, things a bit too quite for you at the moment?
I am not blaming the board for the restriction. I am saying that we have known about the Swindon Fixture since May last year.

And Swindon have been in either the play-off positions or an automatic promotion position all season. And Swindon are a well supported club. And Swindon is only a forty five minute drive down the motorway. And the thing I complained about is that any announcement re restrictions on ticket sales should have been made long before 72 hours before kick-off because it was, to use legal speak, 'reasonably foreseeable' well before the 15th of January that Swindon might sell out their allocation.

Just as it is reasonably foreseeable that someone who calls themselves Daftasf@ck, would totally misread that which I wrote. And the only thing that is the matter is that I don't mind people being critical of what I say but I do object to people being critical of things I don't say.

As a football club Newport County should liaise with the police.Months in advance and be aware of where difficulties may arise.

Oh and if you bothered to read my post I was more critical of the police.

Now go and suck my big fat one. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:Flipping hell stan blaming the board for a restriction the police have added is really pathetic even by your standards, what's the matter, things a bit too quite for you at the moment?
I am not blaming the board for the restriction. I am saying that we have known about the Swindon Fixture since May last year.

And Swindon have been in either the play-off positions or an automatic promotion position all season. And Swindon are a well supported club. And Swindon is only a forty five minute drive down the motorway. And the thing I complained about is that any announcement re restrictions on ticket sales should have been made long before 72 hours before kick-off because it was, to use legal speak, 'reasonably foreseeable' well before the 15th of January that Swindon might sell out their allocation.

Just as it is reasonably foreseeable that someone who calls themselves Daftasf@ck, would totally misread that which I wrote. And the only thing that is the matter is that I don't mind people being critical of what I say but I do object to people being critical of things I don't say.

As a football club Newport County should liaise with the police.Months in advance and be aware of where difficulties may arise.

Swindon ‘only’ brought 704 fans last season. In 2018, they brought 949.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Swindon ‘only’ brought 704 fans last season. In 2018, they brought 949.
Exactly.

Proper planning requires looking at the facts in advance and preparing for outcomes which may happen.

As Swindon have been having a good season the possibility of Swindon selling their full allocation would have been known long before lunchtime today.

Also a number of posters have said there is no problem for anyone who wants a ticket getting one. This presumably includes people from Swindon. So what is the point?

Watching football isn't a crime. The police are not beyond criticism. And perhaps the time has come to remember the police serve the public.

One further point.

We know human nature being what it is people often leave things until the last moment. A slightly larger than anticipated gate and people will be queuing for tickets at five past three

Now I am not saying that this will happen, I am saying that it might happen.

So a large number of people turn up to buy tickets at 11-45 am. Now does ticket sales stopping at midday mean that the shutters come down at the stroke of noon or do supporters merely need to be in the queue before twelve?

George Street-Bridge wrote:In previous seasons,wouldn't the stipulation more likely have been no sales to anyone on the day "on police advice"?
I think that's right. As I have said I criticism is of both the late notice and the fact that this twelve O'Clock cut off point seems to serve no security purpose whatsoever whilst causing inconvenience to genuine supporters.

Indeed that many people will turn up at twelve as opposed to three will simply mean that the level of pre match drinking will increase significantly, which from a policing point of view is totally counter productive.

I am utterly perplexed by the whole thing.

Anybody who has read this thread will know that Oldcromwellian put forward the idea that the 12 o'clock cutoff point was to do with security issues. He is in my view correct. Thus far it has been pointed out that anyone who wants a ticket, including Swindon fans can easily get a ticket before then, I have pointed out that it will inconvenience some genuine supporters and that in terms of security all a midday cut off point will do is ensure that a greater number of mainly young men will be in Newport town centre three hours before they need to be with bugger all else to do but go to the pub. Which forty years ago is what I would have done.

Genuine question. Regardless of whether it is the club, the police or both acting in unison, can somebody tell me why it is a good idea?.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I'll try. It's an improvement on no sales on the day and part of a learning curve.
Other than the club reading and taking notice of this board, which you believe they don't I'm afraid the learning curve is a non starter. As for the it's 'an improvement on' argument. really? How is having people in Newport City Centre for three hours an improvement? In reality all that you have said is that even if it is a bad idea it could have been worse.

Making pleas of mitigation in the Crown Court "Yes Your Honour, I know my client carried out a vicious assault, but on this occasion he didn't use a hammer, unlike he did last time. Give him credit for being on a learning curve". was an argument I didn't think would work.