Re: Swindon tickets

Closing the ticket office at midday does not automatically mean that those who normally get a ticket between twelve and three will all come into town three hours earlier than normal. The vast majority will surely just make arrangements to get a ticket (yesterday) today or tomorrow, in person, online, or phone and collect. That surely was the purpose of the police directive and subsequent club announcement.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Other than the club reading and taking notice of this board, which you believe they don't I'm afraid the learning curve is a non starter.
Don't fall into the trap of seeing a handful of us blowhards exchanging views here as somehow significant in the running of the club in the real world. It's like the false equivalence of the BBC trotting out Nigel Lawson on climate change.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: Other than the club reading and taking notice of this board, which you believe they don't I'm afraid the learning curve is a non starter.
Don't fall into the trap of seeing a handful of us blowhards exchanging views here as somehow significant in the running of the club in the real world. It's like the false equivalence of the BBC trotting out Nigel Lawson on climate change.
:grin:

excessbee wrote:Closing the ticket office at midday does not automatically mean that those who normally get a ticket between twelve and three will all come into town three hours earlier than normal. The vast majority will surely just make arrangements to get a ticket (yesterday) today or tomorrow, in person, online, or phone and collect. That surely was the purpose of the police directive and subsequent club announcement.

I agree it doesn't. But the test that needs to be run for risk analysis is that of that which is reasonably foreseeable.

The police categorize football fans into three groups. The tiny minority of thugs. The vast majority as football fans and a small but significant group who can slip or be led into trouble making.

Whilst not probable a not unreasonable scenario. A group of Swindon supporters who might on occasions become over boisterous through drink. Not having tickets for the away end had planned to get the 1-29 out of Swindon, watch the game, and leave. They now arrive at Newport at 10-30, buy their tickets and off to the pub. Two hours and four pints later who should walk into the pub but a group of overly boisterous County fans.

Serious question for a few on this board. It is true that I am critical of the way our club is run. However in the last week I have commended the club on the Clwb Spytty initiative and commented that the way that the club have dealt with players with mental health issues has been exemplary.

Is there any possibility that for some of you that the habit of a lifetime could be broken and rather than post spurious messages you might sometimes except your beloved Newport County get it wrong?

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: Is there any possibility that for some of you that the habit of a lifetime could be broken and rather than post spurious messages you might sometimes except your beloved Newport County get it wrong?
Straw man argument, I don't see anyone posting here not accepting that.
No it isn't a straw man argument. I believe that the midday ticket sales cut off point is a mistake for the reasons given. I believe you think that too. But you don't say it.

To answer George, everybody will admit to making mistakes, very few will admit to a specific mistake.

So now for a post that I suspect will draw a lot of fire but in my view in eds to be said. And it is a big criticism of someone I greatly admire but being good sadly does not equate to being right.

About four years ago defending Howard Greenhaf David Hando said, and rightly that Howard Greenhaf had negotiated County's move to Rodney Parade and that Newport County could never have become a League club playing at Spytty Park.

I not only agree but have been saying that since 1997 and on this board for the last sixteen years.

Had David Hando twenty years ago said we need to develop a stadium when he had real power at the club I believe that the energy we saw in buying back our club, had it been utilized then, we would have a developed fit for purpose stadium now.

And frankly it is not good enough to say I make mistakes, what needs to be said is this was a mistake. And if giants like David Hando have difficulty accepting the damage they have done, then frankly pip squeaks like Phil Tanner accusing me of misrepresentation need to examine the nonsense they spout.

The problem for me is if tickets were not sold after Friday then Stan would be back to one of his original gripes that people couldn't decide on the day. The club will never win in his eyes, and it's such a non story that is being hyped up by the usual agenda obsessed suspects.
I , like many others, don't think the club gets everything right (no club does), however to just keep beating it devalues every concern raised.

I haven't read the reasons why the ticket office will close at midday other than 'on police advice'.

I can see the merits of this, e.g. effectively forcing folk to buy online beforehand and that both the club and police therefore get a better advanced warning as to the crowd, how many burgers to order, how many stewards and cops needed etc.

But I can see Stan's point about fans from both teams buying their tickets at 1030am then hitting the pub. So it does have its risks which Gwent Police's finest will have to manage. For some supporters like myself, I don't know if I'll be going to the game until Saturday morning depending on my other commitments, the weather etc. So if I make a decision around 10am to attend then I would most likely go to 1. the ticket office 2. a chippy to get lunch 3. a local pub then 4. attend the match, in that order.

mad norm wrote:So any long distance traveller having pre booked a train ticket,e.g.to arrive after mid-day is f@@ked.
Anyone who doesn't have access to the County ticketing website with the print at home option available to them.

Also IIRC if you get the email from the ticket purchase it has a scannable code on it which works from your phone at the turnstile (it's well hidden).

excessbee wrote:So, 24 hours on from this announcement, we've had two people who don't go to games saying what a bad idea it is. However, nobody has posted to say it is going to be a major inconvenience, let alone prevent them attending.
Not to mention they're wrong, it's standard police procedure where there's an away sell-out with home tickets still available in anything resembling a rivalry match. Plenty of other places take tickets off sale the day before.

It is a *little* bit mental to think Swindon fans who want to get a home ticket won't just buy online and get here before 12 though.