Re: Grandstand - Swindon at a muddy Rodney Parade

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:I cannot remember a wetter Autumn into mid January like this year.
It just seems to rain virtually every day.
Pitch has no chance with 3 teams plus the odd ladies Internationals.

Why do they mow the grass straight after every game.
Nothing grows this time of the year.
Seems totally pointless.
Didn't realise they are still trying to mow the grass after every game. Would seem even more pointless with the Dragons playing Fri night, County Sat p.m. NRFC Sun p.m. then the County again Tues Night? Would think attempted mowing would be removing more mud than grass by then. I know it's possible if the groundsmen have heat lamps, which keeps the grass growing throughout the year. Then of course frequent mowing will continually strengthen the grass. At least the forecast is for a dry week from tomorrow
p.m. Even possible. frosts beginning of next week

Morganrum wrote:I have a Newport RFC supporting mate who reckons their game will be off Sunday due to illness within the squad, should lighten the load on the pitch if correct.
Sure I heard something about a mumps outbreak in the Swansea camp ( their scheduled opponents Sunday) recently. They certainly had their game last week called off due to illness. Is this a result of parents not getting their children vaccinated a few years back due to scares about the MMR vaccinations?

Now confirmed that this game has been postponed due to illness in Newport's squad.

NEWPORT’S Premiership match against Swansea at Rodney Parade on Sunday has been postponed because of mumps in the Black and Ambers squad.

Newport were set to entertain the Whites, bidding to stretch away from trouble at the bottom of the table.

The fixture was going to be a return to action for Swansea after an outbreak of mumps forced them to postpone Premiership fixtures against Aberavon and Cardiff on the first weekends of January.

However, this time it is Newport that are unable to fulfil the encounter, which had been moved to a Sunday because of the Dragons’ European Challenge Cup game against Enisei-STM and Newport County’s League Two meeting with Swindon.

The Dragons match is live on S4C tonight so we can see for ourselves. However, I have made the mistake before of viewing the poor state of the pitch on TV at the end of a Friday night match only to find that by Saturday afternoon the groundstaff had done a great job of making it look reasonable. I also think it looks worse from the high camera angle atop the Bisley than it does from the almost pitch level view from the Hazel terrace.