Pitch

Newport County natter & football chatter.
User

papajohn

51DegN, 2DegW,

Pitch

Postby papajohn » February 6th, 2020, 1:33 pm

I have just been told that at the Dragons Q & A session last night it was stated they intend to re lay the pitch turf at the end of the season.
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Re: Pitch

Postby Amberexile » February 6th, 2020, 1:53 pm

That would make sense, since we were told the pitch would last three years.
User

daftasfxxx

Newport

Postby daftasfxxx » February 6th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Only been down 2 though
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » February 6th, 2020, 5:15 pm

We played Leeds United away in August 2017 (because our pitch was not quite ready). That means we have used the pitch for seasons 2017/18, 18/19 and this season 19/20 is the third season.
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » February 6th, 2020, 5:34 pm

daftasfxxx wrote:Only been down 2 though

It was laid July 2017 so will be 3 years this Summer.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » February 6th, 2020, 6:42 pm

I will sing Happy Birthday at the appropriate time
no avatar
User

Taunton Iron Cider

Taunton

Postby Taunton Iron Cider » February 6th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Aren’t we still paying for the existing pitch with 2 years left from a £250k WRU bill?
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » February 6th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:Aren’t we still paying for the existing pitch with 2 years left from a £250k WRU bill?

That's how I understand it, we spread the cost of a pitch with a 3 year life expectancy over 5 years.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » February 6th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Doing my maths then we will be paying for 4 years after this second pitch is once more deemed to be redone again.
no avatar
User

countymadbel

Postby countymadbel » February 6th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Why are we paying for the pitch in the first place. After all we are only the Tennant's.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » February 6th, 2020, 7:49 pm

countymadbel wrote:Why are we paying for the pitch in the first place. After all we are only the Tennant's.

Because contrary to what some believe, the WRU hold all the cards and they're juicing us.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » February 6th, 2020, 7:50 pm

countymadbel wrote:Why are we paying for the pitch in the first place. After all we are only the Tennant's.

It was in the contract negotiated by the previous Board.
no avatar
User

Pontypaul

Postby Pontypaul » February 6th, 2020, 8:27 pm

If Tennant’s is involved we should spray it on new pitch. At least the grass will come up half cut!
User

lowandhard

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhard » February 7th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Because contrary to what some believe, the WRU hold all the cards and they're juicing us.

I think you’re right that they as landlords and we as short lease holders , renders us in a relatively powerless position. We mustn’t forget that they just don’t need the grass pitch, we do : that they intend to relay it , is a positive as far as I’m concerned. Whether or not they are “ juicing “ us I suppose is a matter of opinion and would be up to the club to seek an alternative solution to our homelessness - the very symbol of our “ tent city “ eh?
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » February 7th, 2020, 4:37 pm

lowandhard wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I think you’re right that they as landlords and we as short lease holders , renders us in a relatively powerless position. We mustn’t forget that they just don’t need the grass pitch, we do : that they intend to relay it , is a positive as far as I’m concerned. Whether or not they are “ juicing “ us I suppose is a matter of opinion and would be up to the club to seek an alternative solution to our homelessness - the very symbol of our “ tent city “ eh?

I can't see it as a positive to be truthful Mike. Our license lasts for three years after this one. As will the newly laid pitch. A positive will be if the WRU announce plans for a new grass pitch in February 2023. But until then we are seemingly powerless.

I genuinely hope that the WRU extend the license. I genuinely hope that the board have a contingency plan in place if they don't. I don't know but past performance leaves me, at the very least, worried.
Next