Re: Pitch

Willthiswork wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Just speaking to a mate in work who's well into his peanut hugging over RP apprantly they are spending ove 3 million this time on the pitch :shock:
They could be caught between a rock and a hard place. Do they put a £3m pitch down that will last 5-8 years or do they capitalise on County money and not kick them out in 3 years. If County weren't at RP then there would be no doubt that the pitch would be totally artificial as per the one at Cardiff Arms Park.

They won’t be spunking £3m as we’ll be billed for a third of it

Willthiswork wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Just speaking to a mate in work who's well into his peanut hugging over RP apprantly they are spending ove 3 million this time on the pitch :shock:
They could be caught between a rock and a hard place. Do they put a £3m pitch down that will last 5-8 years or do they capitalise on County money and not kick them out in 3 years. If County weren't at RP then there would be no doubt that the pitch would be totally artificial as per the one at Cardiff Arms Park.
Have to admit that I'm very surprised to hear that figure, which if true, would suggest a long term approach requiring the ongoing County's financial input.

UPTHEPORT wrote:The same mate in work says that the WRU say that all plans going forward are with us included this was at a meeting this week

So basically the lease issue isn't a major issue
It has always been my belief that the Dragons/WRU want/need the County's financial contributions, and they would almost certainly be looking at the much cheaper option of an artificial pitch if not. However it would be reassuring if someone stated this clearly and it is simply a case of both parties coming to a financial agreement.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:The same mate in work says that the WRU say that all plans going forward are with us included this was at a meeting this week

So basically the lease issue isn't a major issue
It has always been my belief that the Dragons/WRU want/need the County's financial contributions, and they would almost certainly be looking at the much cheaper option of an artificial pitch if not. However it would be reassuring if someone stated this clearly and it is simply a case of both parties coming to a financial agreement.
Yes the impression I get from the Dragons Chief Exec is that they'd be more keen for NRFC to leave, and keep us as a cash cow.

I can see Newport RFC leaving soon: they won't be able to afford the rent for much longer. The pitch would probably be fine when that happens, as how many games do the Dragons actually play on there a season? A dozen?

If Newport RFC left Pretty sad for them mind, considering it was actually their ground for over a century!

Here’s an interesting development...

http://www.blackandambers.co.uk/match-postponed

“ The current condition of the pitch, the expected weather next weekend and the amount of fixtures due to be played in a short period of time has led the Rodney Parade management to the decision that the Newport game can not go ahead.”

Newport RFC’s game on Sunday has been postponed already at the behest of RP’s owners. Seems like the WRU are picking a fight in hoping Newport RFC will consider playing elsewhere...?

halfmoon wrote:Here’s an interesting development...

“ The current condition of the pitch, the expected weather next weekend and the amount of fixtures due to be played in a short period of time has led the Rodney Parade management to the decision that the Newport game can not go ahead.”

Newport RFC’s game on Sunday has been postponed already at the behest of RP’s owners. Seems like the WRU are picking a fight in hoping Newport RFC will consider playing elsewhere...?

Maybe to protect it for our big game next Wednesday?

Amberexile wrote:
halfmoon wrote:Here’s an interesting development...

Maybe to protect it for our big game next Wednesday?
Pitch is knackered. Could play rugby on it every day for the next week and it would play the same v Salford.

George Street-Bridge wrote:It looks like playing a single game of rugby when it's actually raining is fatal. Interesting that the NRFC postponement can't be under the 48-hour rule because Salford is Wednesday. The pressure on them can only be good for our long-term tenure.
I half watched the Swansea game last night. The dual used Liberty pitch looked like a billiard table. So with the caveat that I can't be sure from television that the Swansea pitch is as good as it looks I would have to disagree with your first point.

As for pressure being put on Newport RFC, why is it you believe that it is good for our long term tenure. I am not saying that you are wrong, I just can't see why you believe that. Newport RFC are a drain on WRU. But that is a neutral point with respect to us. Unless of course, which is more than possible, there is something I have not seen.