Re: Well thats the end of that in the league.

Whilst reading a lot of the posts from both sides of the argument regarding playing the kids over some 'senior professionals ' MF has signed I am leaning towards the argument of at least filling the bench with them rather than the 5 signings he has made who seem to be 'bench fillers' at us rather than their clubs.
He signed the players to improve us , or that's what he has been saying yet for reasons only known to him , he won't use them ?
As I said before kick off yesterday , why play Willmott as an wingback/ attacking player on the left hand side when we need goals and then only play one attacker ? He is a right winger so MF needs to decide whether it's him or Green he plays on that side not just put Willmott in the side for the sake of it because he has the obsession of doing so ,It's not as if our wide men get down the wings and whip crosses in is it ?
Our strikers are 'off firm's so why hasn't he tried Walters. He signed Khan as this player he was singing his praises of , then puts him on the bench whilst picking out of form players before him ????
I also can't believe he has the 'front' to come out with , ' I didn't see that coming' in the press.
He chose the side , he tells them what tactics to play , they are obviously playing as he tells them as every time we cross the halfway line our main attacking threat is a Demetriou long throw.
We played well according to some on the same pitch as he was slagging off yesterday against a better side. Man up Flynn and take the blame . It wasn't the pitch , it wasn't the opposition ,it wasn't injuries as you have had the chance to build up a squad to cope with two or three injuries , it wasn't the 'whatever else he will blame' it was ALL DOWN TO YOU.

We need goals to get to the play offs ....I know what I will do , play with one striker , leave my top scorer on the bench and weaken the side and get MY player in the side somewhere...You couldn't make it up , could you ?

I think MF's assessment was spot on and he didn't make excuses, I'd be more concerned if he said I saw that coming.

Baffling is the word I'd use. I've seen all the recent games home and away.

I left Scunthorpe buzzing and we then beat top of the league. I left Orient thinking we deserved at least a point and hoping we beat Macclesfield which we did. I then left Plymouth disappointed but upbeat because we battered them. I missed the Leicester game but what a boost that was, so put that all together and nobody saw yesterday coming.

Being honest it was a bit eerie yesterday leaving the ground because everyone was so quiet which sort of summed up the performance.

Glad we're playing Tuesday, the results and performances leading up to yesterday demonstrate that we can bounce back, but yes yesterday was poor, baffling as I've said but leave it in the past because when you look in the Rothmans book of football in 10 year's time
it'll read Newport County 0 Cambridge 1, it won't mention the performance, just as it will also read Newport County 2 Swindon 0 in the same season summary. Its done, it gone, it isn't going to change time to move on.

Truly dreadful, after the 0-4 to Orient the worst performance I've seen since we've been back in the EFL. If I were giving marks out of 10 only Willmott would get more than a five.

The only time I can remember us having the ball under control in their box Matt forced the keeper to make a great save with his feet.
One goal was always likely to win it and if that had gone in people would probably just be shrugging their shoulders and saying bad day at the office.

supporter wrote:I think MF's assessment was spot on and he didn't make excuses, I'd be more concerned if he said I saw that coming.

Baffling is the word I'd use. I've seen all the recent games home and away.

I left Scunthorpe buzzing and we then beat top of the league. I left Orient thinking we deserved at least a point and hoping we beat Macclesfield which we did. I then left Plymouth disappointed but upbeat because we battered them. I missed the Leicester game but what a boost that was, so put that all together and nobody saw yesterday coming.

Being honest it was a bit eerie yesterday leaving the ground because everyone was so quiet which sort of summed up the performance.

Glad we're playing Tuesday, the results and performances leading up to yesterday demonstrate that we can bounce back, but yes yesterday was poor, baffling as I've said but leave it in the past because when you look in the Rothmans book of football in 10 year's time
it'll read Newport County 0 Cambridge 1, it won't mention the performance, just as it will also read Newport County 2 Swindon 0 in the same season summary. Its done, it gone, it isn't going to change time to move on.
I'm only able to get to home games Andrew so I have missed all the good performances on the road. However I am getting more and more fed up by the dross we're seeing at RP in most games. Yesterday was probably our worst performance but there have been many games which have also been turgid affairs. Of course i want to see the County win but the style of play is unacceptable. Kick it in the air. Long throw. Big defenders easily clear the ball. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

I think I'll give Tuesday's game a miss. I couldn't bear sitting through MF's recipe again. Geoff

Lee Evans and Regan Poole . Would any of them been given any first team action if MF had been the manager when they were at the club or would he , as he is doing now fill the squad with 'journeymen players ?'
No I am not saying that he should just chuck the kids in irrelevant of ability but if their way forward is being blocked by 'journeymen' he isn't playing anyway what's the point of the Academy ?
Poleon , Waters ,Marvel , Innes , Gorman....are they an improvement on the youth kids who want to play for the club rather than a player looking for a payday at wherever they can get it ?
Throwing two year deals at some of his signings are unbelievable when he has probably never seen some of them play.

Geoff I think we've made a conscious change this season to make ourselves hard to beat and I still believe that is the right approach.

Yesterday as in the away defeats where we've played very good football recently we should've scored at least 2 goals in each game. For me and MF has been honest about this we can't keep on missing chances, add to this we've also made mistakes like yesterday at Bradford and home to Stevenage then if you're not scoring then these mistakes will be punished and that's what's happened. The 6 points that we should've had from those 3 games puts us in a really strong position. Home wins against Crewe and Carlisle where we should've lost and drawn are evened out over a season as demonstrated recently by the fact we should've beaten Orient and got at least a point at Plymouth.

Cut out the mistakes, take the chances and we win the games 9 times out of 10, that's why it's so frustrating because we are more than capable of putting a really good run together.

supporter wrote:Geoff I think we've made a conscious change this season to make ourselves hard to beat and I still believe that is the right approach.

Yesterday as in the away defeats where we've played very good football recently we should've scored at least 2 goals in each game. For me and MF has been honest about this we can't keep on missing chances, add to this we've also made mistakes like yesterday at Bradford and home to Stevenage then if you're not scoring then these mistakes will be punished and that's what's happened. The 6 points that we should've had from those 3 games puts us in a really strong position. Home wins against Crewe and Carlisle where we should've lost and drawn are evened out over a season as demonstrated recently by the fact we should've beaten Orient and got at least a point at Plymouth.

Cut out the mistakes, take the chances and we win the games 9 times out of 10, that's why it's so frustrating because we are more than capable of putting a really good run together.

So MF starts with 1 striker who hasnt scored many this season and 2 players who's scoring records are hardly prolific throughout their career??

neilcork68 wrote:Lee Evans and Regan Poole . Would any of them been given any first team action if MF had been the manager when they were at the club or would he , as he is doing now fill the squad with 'journeymen players ?'
No I am not saying that he should just chuck the kids in irrelevant of ability but if their way forward is being blocked by 'journeymen' he isn't playing anyway what's the point of the Academy ?
Poleon , Waters ,Marvel , Innes , Gorman....are they an improvement on the youth kids who want to play for the club rather than a player looking for a payday at wherever they can get it ?
Throwing two year deals at some of his signings are unbelievable when he has probably never seen some of them play.
I think they would have as they were good enough. The loan players will be better than the current youth players otherwise they would be playing - there is no conspiracy or tactic to stunt youth they clearly are just not good yet or ready. The loan players have league track records may not be great but can cope at our level. Just because they are from our academy doesn’t make them any good and few will ever make it.

County ranger wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Lee Evans and Regan Poole . Would any of them been given any first team action if MF had been the manager when they were at the club or would he , as he is doing now fill the squad with 'journeymen players ?'
I think they would have as they were good enough. The loan players will be better than the current youth players otherwise they would be playing - there is no conspiracy or tactic to stunt youth they clearly are just not good yet or ready. The loan players have league track records may not be great but can cope at our level. Just because they are from our academy doesn’t make them any good and few will ever make it.
Polleon - Collins Junior
Cooper - Jefferies

I rest my case your honour.

neilcork68 wrote:I am not saying the current crop are good enough but rather than pay 'journeymen players' from other clubs to come to us and sit on the bench ( Gorman , Poleon, Waters ) wouldnt it be better ?
They're here as squad players. If we get a couple of injuries then they're in the team. Jeffries, instead of sitting on the bench and not playing, is now getting his first proper taste of senior football at Salisbury because of it.