Grandstand - Walsall at Rodney Parade

Tuesday 11th February:
Newport County v Walsall.

Matches between both clubs goes back as far as 1927. Since the clubs first meeting in 1927 / 1928 when they competed in the former Division Three South, the clubs have met on sixty-three occasions for competitive matches. County have twenty-five wins while Walsall have twenty-three.

1979 / 1980:
Probably the most memorable game between both clubs came in season 1979 / 1980 in the old Division Four, todays League Two.The first game between the two saw Walsall beat County 1-0 at Somerton Park

The final weekend of the season:
Walsall 2-4 Newport County.
A very large following of 6000+ County supporters to see County face Walsall at Fellows Park knowing that victory would guarantee promotion to Division Three.County were 2-0 ahead midway through the first half, both scored by John Aldridge. Player manager Alan Buckley reduced the deficit with a penalty before Dave Gwyther restored a two goal lead for County before half time. Very early in the second half, Don Penn reduced the deficit to a single goal with a low shot inside the box. Tommy Tynan headed a fourth for County, a lead they held, winning 4-2.
County were back in Division Three for the first time in eighteen years. With Walsall also gaining promotion as champions, both clubs competed against each other in Divition Three for the next seven seasons.

2017 / 2018:
FA Cup Round One.
Newport County 2-1 Walsall.
Frank Nouble put County ahead on eighteen minutes against their opponents who were one tier above County at the time.Shawn McCoulsky doudle the lead in the first minute of the second half. Amadou Bakayoko got one back for Walsall with around fourteen minutes remaining but County held on for victory that would eventually see them reach Round Four.

2019 / 2020:
Walsall 0-0 Newport County.
A dull goalless draw with few chances created by either side and only two shots on target. County were unbeaten in their opening four league games.

Managers:
Newport County - Mike Flynn.
Walsall - Darrell Clarke.

Head to head:
Mike Flynn 0
Darrell Clarke 0
Draws 1

Some of the players who've had connections with both Newport County and Walsall:
Kevin Cooper
Paul Hall
Karl Darlow
Ian McLoughlin
Aaron Williams
Will Randall
Cameron Pring
Last edited by reebok0165 on February 10th, 2020, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Grandstand - Walsall at Rodney Parade

Don't expect too many changes, I'm not fan of Flynn I think he's a lucky man to be still in place. Flynn never blames himself, Saturday was a poor selection, tactics?, why bring loan players in if they are not given the chance. Robbie Wilmott not playing to his strenghts, he's a winger. Pick a side with players in their correct positions it may help.

ajs wrote:Don't expect too many changes, I'm not fan of Flynn I think he's a lucky man to be still in place. Flynn never blames himself, Saturday was a poor selection, tactics?, why bring loan players in if they are not given the chance. Robbie Wilmott not playing to his strenghts, he's a winger. Pick a side with players in their correct positions it may help.
Flynny will stick with almost the same 11 unfortunately, always does.

SULLY34 wrote:
ajs wrote:Don't expect too many changes, I'm not fan of Flynn I think he's a lucky man to be still in place. Flynn never blames himself, Saturday was a poor selection, tactics?, why bring loan players in if they are not given the chance. Robbie Wilmott not playing to his strenghts, he's a winger. Pick a side with players in their correct positions it may help.
Flynny will stick with almost the same 11 unfortunately, always does.
Nice to see you back on here mate. :cheers:

Happy birthday SB, is that State Pension Age you've now reached? If so enjoy spending the extra wonga.

Do we think tomorrow's game will be on? Pretty treacherous travelling conditions for the away team and fans, not particularly nice here either. I hope it's on, my first game since the festive period. I'm toying with the idea of joining Neil in his warm hospitality box, would she mind 3 in her box Neil? Apologies if that sounds smutty, wasn't intended. That's a great deal really, with food thrown in.