Re: Grandstand - Walsall at Rodney Parade

Waters touch was poor a few times but,he looked lively and was surprised to see him subbed.Jamma is really struggling but stays on,Abraham is now not making an impact so Collins should have come on.We started with three fast players but,took two off,admittedly one came on although Abraham has lost his purpose.Better than Saturday,which wasn't difficult.The old Billy Connolly joke about he thought his teams full name was Partick Thistle Nil now applies to us.Plenty of effort but,how many saves did the keeper have to make.How did Leadbitter get injured,he just sliced the ball into touch and went down in a heap.

Spiderman wrote:I thought we played well tonight , The benchwarmers and journeymen pros played well . Gorman looked solid and Khan was excellent but tired in the second half, Waters looked lively and also tired 2nd half.

They could be 3 good signings next season if they like it here.
Yes,they did ok but,one swallow doesn't make a summer,let's see if they play a few games.Can you ask your best mate why we never have anyone anticipating the second ball when it goes near Matt or Inniss.The ball bounces off them or the defender but,there is no one in sight,just a thought I haven't got a badge though but it might work.

Percy plunkett wrote:I thought Baker was a dead leg,how did Townsend get injured,what injuries do Nurse and Dolan have.
Serious groin problem with Baker
Leadbitter serious hamstring
(crocked when he joined us)
Townsend Calf problem warming up.

Nurse/Dolan/Haynes no idea

Still calling Collins and Woodywiss kids tonight in the Argus.

Forced to put them on bench as nobody to make up numbers.

Wish he would change his attitude as we certainly need Dom being called back now.

Spiderman wrote:I thought we played well tonight , The benchwarmers and journeymen pros played well . Gorman looked solid and Khan was excellent but tired in the second half, Waters looked lively and also tired 2nd half.

They could be 3 good signings next season if they like it here.
Really?

Certainly not as woeful as Saturday but still piss poor especialy Matt/ Amond and Abrahams.

Give us another 90 minutes and it would still be goalless.

Walsall were awful. But comfortably got the point they came for.

Think your mate has lost the plot now.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:I thought Baker was a dead leg,how did Townsend get injured,what injuries do Nurse and Dolan have.
Serious groin problem with Baker
Leadbitter serious hamstring
(crocked when he joined us)
Townsend Calf problem warming up.

Nurse/Dolan/Haynes no idea

Still calling Collins and Woodywiss kids tonight in the Argus.

Forced to put them on bench as nobody to make up numbers.

Wish he would change his attitude as we certainly need Dom being called back now.
No Harps,we can't have 18 and 19 year old children playing you know that.They can vote,get married,have a mortgage,drink alcohol and a host of other things but,too young to play L2 football,apparently.

Just got back, here's my assessment of the game -

Team selection looked promising, plenty of attacking pace and good balance. But Walsall had other ideas and pressed high up the pitch and I don't think we got out of our half first 10mins. Then our midfield pairing of Labadie and Gorman showed the makings of a good partnership and we started getting balls to Green.

He showed good pace and skill down one flank, as did Khan on the other side but neither had enough quality to beat the last man or deliver a decent cross. Waters worked hard, largely with no result, he had one good chance first half when - fair play to him - instead of going down for what would've been a soft penalty, he instead dribbled the ball out for a goalkick and didn't trouble the keeper.

Green was also guilty of not getting a shot in quicker a couple of times.

The halftime team talks made some difference, Walsall came out subdued and obviously content to get a draw while we dominated without troubling them, first shot on goal in the 68th minute tells a story.

Robbie did ok when replacing an off the pace and injured Leadbitter (think he got his studs caught in the muddy sand making a clearance). Jamma put in the effort but was below-par I thought - it was probably a MF tactic but he continually tried to bring a high ball under control rather than flicking it on. Think the reason was that, aside from Jamma obvs, our attacking threat resembled a pack of midgets compared to the tall and strong Walsall defence. Khan, Waters and Green all looked like ballboys in a kit compared. I would've replaced Jamma not Green, as the latter was starting to get behind the defence. Otherwise I thought MF got most things right.

Micky varied his throw-ins, Khan's corners in the second period were better. There was a good shape to the team and we tried playing balls in behind the defence.

Referee Mr Huxtable did well and got most key decisions right, incl cautioning Robbie for a foul (took one 'for the team' to stop a counter attack). Dear old Brett barely moved out of the centre circle all game which meant he missed 3 obvious handballs incl one from Micky second half when he was the last defender. He likes his pies does Mr H.

Our defence were excellent, won almost every ball. Good leadership from Iniss I thought. Gorman worked hard all night and kept things ticking over. Don't think we need Ledley if Gorman can reproduce that form.

Fans in the Hazell Terrace were in good voice, witty rather than loud with the 'untidy looking' Stuart Sinclair coming in for some funny banter. Why one gobsh*te thought it was ok to call Cameron Pring a w***** was beyond me though. Pring hadn't put a foot wrong all night and looked surprised to hear the clueless idiot calling him out. The same cretin also directed a few insults at the Walsall coaches, including one which was loosely homophobic. This idiot spoiled what was a good atmosphere in the stands.

In summary it was a 6/10 performance, if we played until midnight we still wouldn't score but equally we wouldn't have conceded either. Labadie MOM??? Not sure why, I'd have given it to Gorman then Innis.

Hear me out on this - I think the 11 players that started the second half looked like they will gel if given a few games together. I know Khan can't play against his parent club on Saturday and that other changes will be forced against Salford, but I think this 11 will come good eventually.