Re: Grandstand: Salford City at Rodney Parade

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:I was watching them all backing away and fair do's Inniss looked at Flynny and gave him the thumbs up.
For a professional experienced player like Scott Bennett to shit out is a disgrace big time.
Imagine the youngster going up and missing, scarred for life

It’s not a disgrace. If he didn’t feel confident then it’s best he didn’t take on surely?
Sorry but you are a senior player.
Your profession is football.
You are quality on the ball.
You shit out.
Seriously if not confident to take a pen you are in the wrong profession.

Wrong profession if you are not confident to take a pen? Don’t be stupid.
A centre back would not necessarily be confident to take a penalty, that’s not his job. Inniss didn’t look confident and it showed in his penalty, yes he stepped up but he didn’t look comfortable and he missed.
Now, Green and Collins are forwards, they should be stepping up.
Sorry but Scott plays midfield as well, got a great touch so its nonsense.
Played well tonight.
He shit out
Ryan Inniss didn't

He’s played as midfielder but is a centre back, doesn’t want to play midfield. He has a ‘great touch’ so that means he should be a good penalty taker? Don’t be daft.
The two forwards ‘shit out’ too but you only have a go at him ...
Inniss didn’t shit out but still missed.

DT1892 wrote:To take a good penalty you need to be confident. I'd rather a player say he's not feeling it and drop further down the line, even he's got 'a great touch'

Exactly. If you’re not confident that you could take a good penalty you shouldn’t step up. Disappointed in the forwards not taking one as their job is scoring goals, but, if they’re not confident then it’s best they didn’t .

Beechwood Boy wrote::hello1: Proud. We gave our all. Cannot fault the level of effort. Went down fighting. Much, much better than the Cambridge home game. Heads held high
Spot on.
Headless chickens loads of effort and puff.
No wonder we cannot score goals.
Amond wandering around on both wings even Matt on the touchline to win throws.
Quite often we get the ball but pointless getting a cross in with nobody in the box.
Start Collins Saturday.
Hopefully Khan will improve things also.
Maybe Haynes out for the season as well if same injury returned last night.

I said after the Cambridge game that the team appeared to be lacking in confidence - in all positions. Last night was the same, although it wasn’t for the lack of trying. At least the players were putting an effort in, although it didn’t seem to be getting us anywhere. When you put a shift in and it doesn’t get you anywhere, it is bound to effect confidence and morale.

What we need is an inspirational spectacular goal from somewhere. Doesn’t matter where it comes from or who scores it as long as it counts. A Robbie 25 yarder, overhead kick from Podge, 10 yard header from Bennet, a special dribble from Khan, who cares. I just hope it happens because, sadly, I think that is the only way we can get an improvement from this side. Their heads are down at the moment and they need a piece of magic. Cmon the County.

Fair Play to Iniss to step up and take the penalty, when we had strikers who didn't volunteer, and Podge and Robbie taken off when penalties looked like happening.
But YOY him.
He hasn't had a shot or header on target all season.
And when he gets a free shot at goal he puts it over the bar.
The guy will never score a goal for us
Useless in the box for throw ins and corners, wouldn't allow him past the half way line.

Did anyone see Tom King disappear into the changing rooms after the final whistle on 90mins?

Might have just needed a pee, but I wondered at the time if he was checking anything put together by our analysis team RE Salford penalty takers.

Either way he ran back onto the pitch just in time for the first penalty. It looked a bit disorganised to me, if I was manager I'd have compiled a list of 5-7 penalty takers by the 70th minute and used my substitutions accordingly. Maybe MF did do this?

Having reflected on this overnight, I'm all the more supportive of Innis for stepping up.

Forwards have got to back themselves to score from the penalty spot. Really disappointed that Collins & Green didn’t step up. Goal scoring is their main job but if they weren’t confident then I guess they shouldn’t have volunteered, however I’m surprised Flynny didn’t tell at least one of them to go before Inniss.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on February 20th, 2020, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The penalty shoot out is a lottery.Michael Flynn or Innis's can't be faulted for the loss because he missed his pen.

What can be questioned is what happened before the shoot out....
.Why we can't score in open play , thus having no need of a shootout ?
why was Willmott and Amond replaced as they would / should have been in line for taking one ?
Why didn't our other senior players have the balls to take one, thus leaving Inniss in the predicament where he had too ?
Even though he was up for taking one , why did we let Abraham's take one ?

neilcork68 wrote:The penalty shoot out is a lottery.Michael Flynn or Innis's can't be faulted for the loss because he missed his pen.

What can be questioned is what happened before the shoot out....
.Why we can't score in open play , thus having no need of a shootout ?
why was Willmott and Amond replaced as they would / should have been in line for taking one ?
Why didn't our other senior players have the balls to take one, thus leaving Inniss in the predicament where he had too ?
Even though he was up for taking one , why did we let Abraham's take one ?

Someone has said that Willmott ASKED to come off, not sure if there’s any truth in that