Re: Grandstand: Salford City at Rodney Parade

Corpaboy wrote:As most on here will know already , I am no fan of Innis AT ALL !!
With the ball at his feet he is a liability .

But , to be fair to the lad , if what Flynny is saying here is true , then ...........

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport ... ford-city/

I dont blame the player or Manager for the penalty miss if thats the case ..As I said . He had the 'balls' to take it . Bennett and Green didnt

Just a few thoughts
We did have a go second half but no bite in the box as usual.
We are unbelievably low on confidence, constantly back pedalling instead of going forward.
Salford passed better , were crisp and broke well despite their obvious shortcomings.
Our set pieces were woeful , we wasted our free kicks.
Green maybe should have been on earlier.
Matt looked better tonight, Amond appears to be out of sorts.
How do we get out of this torpor? Any ideas?
Here’s mine when O’Brien and Howkins are fit, try Demetriou up front with Matt , might be interesting :grin:

By the way, I’m bored with Wembley anyway but the club could have done with the cash though Pompey might have humiliated us on this form both on attendance and play.

Big disappointment that, missed a good opportunity to compete for silverware at Wembley. We were the better team after the first half an hour. I thought Innis, Dolan and Matt gave everything and deserved to be on the winning team. Robbie on one side was good, calm and kept things simple. Haynes though, and I really rated him earlier in the season, was woeful. Every single pass he made was sideways or backwards, one cross he got in went over everyone. He must've been struggling with both fitness and confidence tonight.

Labs was Labs, inventive and hard-working at times, going down too easily and trying to con the ref at other times. Podge was off the pace and played too far away from Jamma.

Green excellent when he came on, except - again!!! - he took too long on one run across the 18yd area to get in a shot. He should be restricted to just 3 touches in training, touch once to beat his player, again to line up a shot then bang, shoot. I don't trust him to score unless it's a clear one on one race towards goal. That said, he added a spark up front.

Lewis Collins worked damned hard when he came on, he tracked back about 60yards on the flank to win the ball. A sign of a good career ahead of him.

It did seem odd to take off Podge when he did, another 15mins or so and he would've been an obvious penalty taker.

Most disappointing thing of the night was the shocking, incompetent display from the assistant on the Hazell side. Not sharp enough to keep up with play and flag for offside twice in the first half. No excuse for not being alert and fit enough at this level. And then, towards the end, Matt chased down a hopeful ball and kept it in play near the corner, Salford defender wrapped his foot round the ball, out for a corner with the assistant less than 2 yards away. Even a neutral fan would have said, obvious corner. But no. Enough said except, as a qualified official myself, I rarely criticise fellow officials as generally they get most things right. Not this guy though, 3 key decisions and he messed them up. I hope the assessor slates him in his report.

Penalties were all well taken bar the obvious ones. Dolan tucked his away cooly as expected. The option to let a striker Collins to take one was there - that's asking a lot of a young man. Score and he would have been our hero, miss and his confidence would be shredded. MF has to make those decisions and he knows the players better than us. Innis can't be criticised unduly because he's been excellent for us lately and had the bottle to step up.

Something has to improve in time for the next game though. We need to pepper the opposition goal with 15+ shots and hope a couple go in. Wilmott and Dolan both had free kicks within a good range tonight but both chose to cross rather than shoot. Wrong decisions or tactics tonight in my view.

Also, there seemed to be a reluctance to let Micky take some throw-ins. He kept looking over at MF as if to question why he was staying back and not taking the throws, presumably to mark the quick Salford player in case of a quick counter attack. With Micky already on a yellow I'd have let him further forward where a slip or mistimed tackle wouldn't be so costly.

All in all very disappointing for everyone. Salford hardly deserved to win over 90mins but Sky will get their dream story with Scholes, Butt etc at Wembley. Small improvements are going to see us comfortably win a game soon - a shoot on sight policy plus improved and competent match officials, plus try and play the team which drew with Walsall in a few games without changes.

Safe journey home folks.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:I was watching them all backing away and fair do's Inniss looked at Flynny and gave him the thumbs up.
For a professional experienced player like Scott Bennett to shit out is a disgrace big time.
Imagine the youngster going up and missing, scarred for life

It’s not a disgrace. If he didn’t feel confident then it’s best he didn’t take on surely?
You do need your senior professionals to step up to the mark. In 55years of watching professional football I have never heard a player be criticized for missing a penalty.

Taking a penalty under pressure takes courage. Skill, dexterity, composure at our level are a bonus. Courage and hard work are not. I accept that the team have lost confidence. Anyone who watched the game this evening without an agenda can see that. The manager team and the senior professionals who didn't take penalties need to start taking responsibility.

I remember April 1980. I remember a Newport County side made up of walking wounded going to Peterborough. Rather than make excuses about injuries they just rolled up their sleeves.

And somehow won 1-0

Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:I was watching them all backing away and fair do's Inniss looked at Flynny and gave him the thumbs up.
For a professional experienced player like Scott Bennett to shit out is a disgrace big time.

It’s not a disgrace. If he didn’t feel confident then it’s best he didn’t take on surely?
Sorry but you are a senior player.
Your profession is football.
You are quality on the ball.
You shit out.
Seriously if not confident to take a pen you are in the wrong profession.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

You shit out.

Wrong profession if you are not confident to take a pen? Don’t be stupid.
A centre back would not necessarily be confident to take a penalty, that’s not his job. Inniss didn’t look confident and it showed in his penalty, yes he stepped up but he didn’t look comfortable and he missed.
Now, Green and Collins are forwards, they should be stepping up.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

You do need your senior professionals to step up to the mark. In 55years of watching professional football I have never heard a player be criticized for missing a penalty.

Taking a penalty under pressure takes courage. Skill, dexterity, composure at our level are a bonus. Courage and hard work are not. I accept that the team have lost confidence. Anyone who watched the game this evening without an agenda can see that. The manager team and the senior professionals who didn't take penalties need to start taking responsibility.

I remember April 1980. I remember a Newport County side made up of walking wounded going to Peterborough. Rather than make excuses about injuries they just rolled up their sleeves.

And somehow won 1-0

Bennett is a centre back, doesn’t matter if he’s a senior player, if he’s not a good penalty taker, and I can’t find anything of any previous games where he has ever taken one, then it’s better for the team that he doesn’t take one.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

You shit out.

Wrong profession if you are not confident to take a pen? Don’t be stupid.
A centre back would not necessarily be confident to take a penalty, that’s not his job. Inniss didn’t look confident and it showed in his penalty, yes he stepped up but he didn’t look comfortable and he missed.
Now, Green and Collins are forwards, they should be stepping up.
Sorry but Scott plays midfield as well, got a great touch so its nonsense.
Played well tonight.
He shit out
Ryan Inniss didn't