We could do with a Jason Bowen

Whilst sorting out some old VHS video tapes I came across a recording of the whole of County's FAW Premier Cup Semi Final at Ninian Park. Some great memories of players of old. Nathan Davies, Craig Hughes, Richard Evans, Charlie Griffin, Julian Allsop, Glyn Thompson etc etc. The star of the show was undoubtedly Jason Bowen. What a player he must have been in his pomp.

It was 0-0 after 90 minutes with Thompson making a great save towards the end. With 7 mins of ET left Damon Searle put over a great cross from the left which Allsop some how missed. However Bowen reached the ball with a diving header and even though he was a couple of yards beyond the far post he managed to head it in the net. Cardiff equalised almost immediately and the game went to pens. It was 4-4 after the first 8 pens. Then the County hit the bar with their 5th penalty. It looked like it was all over but Cardiff missed their 5th as well. County scored their next pen and Glyn Thompson saved the next one. So County went on to beat Llanelli in the final at Spytty. Great days!

Re: We could do with a Jason Bowen

Bowen was the star of the team when I first started watching County, not long after moving to South Wales. A lot of things about the club at that point were a bit tinpot, but in Jason Bowen we had one thing that was Football League quality. Watching him take the mickey out a lumbering fullback with his skill and guile every other Saturday was worth the entrance fee alone.

pembsexile wrote:
Bush wrote:The best player in the clubs history. A genius.

Ah well, I guess you never saw Tommy Tynan play then :grin:
I never so i would never call a player i didnt see as the clubs best player. I can only make my decision on who i have seen. Dont forget Bowen was also an international and played at every level. Anyway we shouldnt be calling him Jason because his name is God!

Bush wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

I never so i would never call a player i didnt see as the clubs best player. I can only make my decision on who i have seen. Dont forget Bowen was also an international and played at every level. Anyway we shouldnt be calling him Jason because his name is God!
I know about him obviously but I never saw him play either. To be better than Tommy he would have had to play consistently at the higher reaches of Div 3, play in the quarter final of the European Cup winners cup and an FA Cup semi final.

Tommy wasn’t an international of course, many English players ahead of him. If he had a bit more pace he would have played at even higher level. All ‘ifs’ and opinions of course. It’s all subjective and it is opinions that make this board what it is. My favourite County player ever. Rock on Tommy!!!

pembsexile wrote:
Bush wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

I know about him obviously but I never saw him play either. To be better than Tommy he would have had to play consistently at the higher reaches of Div 3, play in the quarter final of the European Cup winners cup and an FA Cup semi final.

Tommy wasn’t an international of course, many English players ahead of him. If he had a bit more pace he would have played at even higher level. All ‘ifs’ and opinions of course. It’s all subjective and it is opinions that make this board what it is. My favourite County player ever. Rock on Tommy!!!
Agree with you about tommy's pace mike! I think he could have been a lot quicker if he could have been kept out of scamps on a Friday and Saturday night :shock: for the best player i've seen at the county you have to go back to the 60s that was gilbert reece, shame he was only with us for one season but we got good money for him off sheff utd.
Last edited by llanwern exile on February 19th, 2020, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.