Re: It is what it is

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Listen,the next game is huge if I'm honest,massive.
Season is over Percy.

It's next season I'm worried about.
Brendan, I'm sure you used season is over as a throwaway line but do remember that 31 years ago our season really was over right about now. However bad this season has been we have another 12 matches of Newport County in the football league to look forward to. Not much I grant you but so much more than 1989 and no, we shouldn't be grateful just for that, we should expect more.

And Flynn has already identified what will guarantee success next season, he's going to spend a fortune on a top rate goalscorer. What could possible go wrong? :shock:
In the early 1980's County hit a golden patch. We had a superb team, we could and should have made the old Division 2. The Championship for all you under 40. We owned Somerton Park. We had European football and a realistic prospect of more. And crowds in excess of 5,000 and sometimes five figures became the norm. I can remember County beating the likes of Wolves and Blackpool and Sheffield United and Fulham. In fact I recall sticking four on Sheffield United, Blackpool and Hull.

But during that time we didn't invest in infrastructure. Rather than build a decent stand at Somerton we chose to 'invest' in players like Waddle and Johnson. And when the downturn came we couldn't weather the storm. Six years between the quarter final of a major European competition to non league and oblivion.

This is my point Paul. In the 32 years since reformation we have never build our club. It has always been short term. I agree with you about 31 years ago, but for me right now it feels like 33 years ago.

I am no great fan of Foxhall and Ward, I have reservations about Flynn. But to blame any individual is to miss the point. We are all accountable for this mess. Newport County are my passion. And I am not alone. I genuinely believe we can do so much better. But until we realize that making excuses for failure and defending mediocre leadership leads only to disappointment, we are destined to fail.
Surely building a stand would have cost more than Waddle and Johnson, and how long would it have taken to recoup the cost? Would we have had higher attendances after building the stand?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: What's the point of making it personal?
I don't know, why did you?
I think that you will find that in referencing an individual in this case Kevin Ward you did make it personal.
I think you will find that it was your original comment "I am no great fan of Foxhall and Ward..." which did that 8)

Mike Flynn currently has a contract as Newport County manager until at least June 2022 :wink:
So when you mentioned Ward alone what exactly did you mean?

Moving on and being personal.

I have just read Michael Flynn's comments in the Argus regarding the character of his team.

It's convinced me Flynn should go now.
I thought you could have worked that out for yourself. Of the two individuals you insulted, one of them should be up for re-election this year and the other not as Foxall was re-elected in 2019. I considered the "imminent" one worthy of comment and the other not. I also expect Kevin Ward to be re-elected if he chooses to stand again.

Why did you feel the need to make your unkind comment about the two of them in the first place?

Blackandamber wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Listen,the next game is huge if I'm honest,massive.
Season is over Percy.

It's next season I'm worried about.
Brendan, I'm sure you used season is over as a throwaway line but do remember that 31 years ago our season really was over right about now. However bad this season has been we have another 12 matches of Newport County in the football league to look forward to. Not much I grant you but so much more than 1989 and no, we shouldn't be grateful just for that, we should expect more.

And Flynn has already identified what will guarantee success next season, he's going to spend a fortune on a top rate goalscorer. What could possible go wrong? :shock:
In the early 1980's County hit a golden patch. We had a superb team, we could and should have made the old Division 2. The Championship for all you under 40. We owned Somerton Park. We had European football and a realistic prospect of more. And crowds in excess of 5,000 and sometimes five figures became the norm. I can remember County beating the likes of Wolves and Blackpool and Sheffield United and Fulham. In fact I recall sticking four on Sheffield United, Blackpool and Hull.

But during that time we didn't invest in infrastructure. Rather than build a decent stand at Somerton we chose to 'invest' in players like Waddle and Johnson. And when the downturn came we couldn't weather the storm. Six years between the quarter final of a major European competition to non league and oblivion.

This is my point Paul. In the 32 years since reformation we have never build our club. It has always been short term. I agree with you about 31 years ago, but for me right now it feels like 33 years ago.

I am no great fan of Foxhall and Ward, I have reservations about Flynn. But to blame any individual is to miss the point. We are all accountable for this mess. Newport County are my passion. And I am not alone. I genuinely believe we can do so much better. But until we realize that making excuses for failure and defending mediocre leadership leads only to disappointment, we are destined to fail.
Surely building a stand would have cost more than Waddle and Johnson, and how long would it have taken to recoup the cost? Would we have had higher attendances after building the stand?
Writing in the programme of the Sheffield United game in 81/82 Len Ashurst stated that the then board of directors had decided not to build 'a new structure' at Somerton Park but to concentrate on building a team. Ashurst went on to say rightly so as a stand can't play football.

neilcork68 wrote:Alan Waddle was as mobile as a stand.
..He paid £80k for that 'stand'
It wasn't his football skills that meant he had to move on.
My good pal thought that he was actually too good for the County in that he would do a flick on or a pass which
The lads just couldn't respond too.
Regardless those 2 signings were the beginning of the end for us first time around.

Spiderman wrote:Just read on Flynny’s Bio that his favourite song is ‘That’s just the way it is’ by Bruce Hornsby. Rumours are he’s going to change his response when next asked about the pitch and situation
Pitch is the same for both sides.
Pitch has got didley squat with our situation.
Were Oldham and Grimsby's pitches sand dunes?
Yes or No
Simple

ps You didn't need to read his bio.
Mates are mates nothing wrong with that so no need to go into denial.