Stewarding

If the Stewarding at Rodney is anything like Wokings last time I went it is dire. Lots of people looking important with various bits of plastic stuck in their ears and flourescent jackets.on.
What training do they receive?
What IS their main purpose?
What can they/can't they react to?
Maybe their responsibilities should be made clear in the programmes.
Purely an observation...any other thoughts?

Re: Stewarding

I might be wrong but I belive there is a bit of a difference steward are just there to help and stop over crowding, basic first aid and other things like check tickets don't think you have to have a liscnce

Where at Rodney Parade we employ a response team they have the security licence like a bouncer

I would assume so as there our landlords so they employ stewards and rapid response stewards which hold relevant licences might be wrong but I was oddered work last season over there as a steward by someone I know and when I mentioned the I do t have liscnce he told me what I posted above

I get the impression that stewarding at 'small' grounds like Rodney Parade is provided more cheaply than the bigger stadiums like the Principality. Whilst it was over 20 years ago and things may have changed, I was expected to pass an NVQ qualification to be able to steward at the then millennium and had to attend a number of evening training sessions and demonstrate by knowledge of Football and rugby ground regulations, what constitutes an offence under such regulations, procedures for removing people from the ground etc. There are even a few holding cells in the ground. Also required to hold current first aid certificate. This was a nationally recognised qualification which obviously costs money to provide.

UPTHEPORT wrote:I got to say mind the stewarding the past few years has been great in fairness my nephew fainted last season they where fantastic and got the right people there asap
Agreed. We shouldn't be making generalisations based on a single incident by an idividual

Amberexile wrote:Don't we pay the WRU to provide stewards?
I could be wrong but I would imagine that Newport County are responsible for hiring their own stewards. It would make sense for County to hire the same stewards as do the rugby. However I doubt stewards would be employed directly by the WRU.

In any event I again would be surprised if stewarding at County games were not the responsibility of Newport County.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
I could be wrong but I would imagine that Newport County are responsible for hiring their own stewards. It would make sense for County to hire the same stewards as do the rugby. However I doubt stewards would be employed directly by the WRU.

In any event I again would be surprised if stewarding at County games were not the responsibility of Newport County.
Hence me posing the question I did.

IF we procure stewards through the WRU and
IF at some point the stewarding at one of our games is considered to be inadequate by the EFL or FA
Surely it would be Newport County and not the WRU facing any disciplinary action.

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

IF at some point the stewarding at one of our games is considered to be inadequate by the EFL or FA
Surely it would be Newport County and not the WRU facing any disciplinary action.
I don't think the county employ them direct I'm sure we pay for them in our rent as I seen a few walking around with Rodney Parade Ltd on their hi vi's before

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

That would be my view. Regardless of anything else the FA/EFL can sanction Newport County, they can't sanction the WRU, Dragons or Rodney Parade Limited.

Indeed, it's an elaborate way of having a dig at the club by someone who (for valid reasons he has explained) rarely if ever visits RP.

"If the stewarding is as bad as at [insert name of club here], it's dire." Yes, and if it isn't, it isn't. If it's as brilliant as at the best club in the country, it's outstanding. My experience from quite a bit of interaction on a regular basis is it's excellent.