Re: Match thread 29/02 Oldham Ath v Newport County

If I may..
neilcork68 wrote:Are they happy with the football on show ?
No. The football has been terrible this season
Are our tactics any good ?
From a personal perspective, No. From a professional perspective, Yes.
Why ( and with what evidence ) is MF the man to continue ?
Peter Beadle 2005–2008
Dean Holdsworth 2008–2011
Tim Harris 2011 (caretaker manager)
Anthony Hudson 2011
Lee Harrison 2011 (caretaker manager)
Justin Edinburgh 2011–2015
Jimmy Dack 2015 (caretaker manager)
Terry Butcher 2015
John Sheridan 2015–2016
Warren Feeney 2016
Sean McCarthy & James Bittner (caretaker managers) 2016
Graham Westley 2016–2017
Mike Flynn 2017–present

Arguably Number 2 on that list for pound for pound overall contribution to club as manager. Personally I don't see value in sacking a 67 point a season average manager when we could easily return to any of the cursed names on that list.
What evidence have they got that he can improve us?
What evidence is there we hire the right person for the job should MF be sacked.
Does MF EARN his alleged high wage ?
For overall contribution to the club, possibly yes. But by signing the contract, the good credit he was in has been minimalised. Which is why he finds himself in hotter water than had the contract not been issued.

As a season ticket holder and silver trust member I have to say that we have played poorly for most of our games.
Aimless long balls to Jamma with no one standing off him to pick up his knock downs.
Most throw ins are from Micky, long into the box, easy to read by the opposition.
Corners floated into the six yard box, easy to be picked off by the goalie or defenders, jamma and Inniss going for the same ball. No one stood back like Bennet against Bradford.
Last year and before we used to challenge for the 50/50 balls and if we didn’t win them we made sure that the opposition didn’t win good ball, thus disrupting their game.
And our passing is either side wards or behind this we are having to stop or go backwards which gives the opposition time to regroup.
I will be there on Saturday for my son’s against our bogey side Morecambe,
If their manger has any sense them he’ll play Ellison just to haunt us.

Fu Ming wrote:As a season ticket holder and silver trust member I have to say that we have played poorly for most of our games.
Aimless long balls to Jamma with no one standing off him to pick up his knock downs.
Most throw ins are from Micky, long into the box, easy to read by the opposition.
Corners floated into the six yard box, easy to be picked off by the goalie or defenders, jamma and Inniss going for the same ball. No one stood back like Bennet against Bradford.
Last year and before we used to challenge for the 50/50 balls and if we didn’t win them we made sure that the opposition didn’t win good ball, thus disrupting their game.
Agree with all of this. The word i'd use to describe us is "predictable".

* Mickey long throws to Innis
* Floated corners to Innis
* Long balls to Matt

We seem to keep doing the same things hoping that something different will happen. I understand that Flynn favours percentage football but I hoped we might have evolved a bit this year.

At the start of the season we were playing 4-1-3-2 and it looked promising with Sheehan taking the ball from defence and trying to get us playing a bit of football. That didnt last long and we soon reverted to the hoof ball.

If Flynn truly believes in long ball football then he might as well go full Pulis and recruit tall defensive full backs, physical midfielders and get the wingers to hug the touchline and get crosses in the box. We seem to be playing long ball football with the wrong players to do it effectively.

Having supported the county since 1952 I am used to disappiontment, don't get to many games these days due distance and age. Flynn has been poor in his signings, selections, substitutions, and tactics, time for him to go. Look at the summer signings, 2 year contracts then loaned out, what does that mean? they are not good enough, not worth developing. I agreed with (Neil cork (whoever he might be) we should look at Paul Tisdale a manager who has a good track record and not affraid to develop young players. Tisdale did very well at Exeter developing and selling players for good profit.I also think his contacts are better when looking at loan signings. Flynn will not resign no matter how bad it gets, he blames everyone else, and appears extremely arrogant.

Yes have to agree that the signs are not good.
Early in the season we were luckily beating better teams with goals in the last minute. The only game that really gave me hope was away at swindon. I cant help thinking back to talking to a Swindon fan who had total faith in their manager and the system if play. Look were they are! Sometimes so many injuries are not only bad luck, but players no longer wanting to play for the manager.

4 sub's on Saturday ??

Green was taken I'll after the team sheet was given in but before kick off. I was always under the impression that you can add to the named squad if such an event were to happen ?
Why didn't we name Waters a a sub if that is correct or did we not take him to Oldham...Thus another player getting paid for not playing.
He said we had 1 injured , 1 ill that's why they weren't named as subs so surely we would have taken more than 15 with us just in case what happened to Green, happened .Things can happen overnight that he has no control of , as we were staying the night locally to Oldham..Things happen , one of the loan players he was going to use could have been taken ill or had family problems etc...(oh yeah , 1 did. Why wasn't Waters there to replace him ???) We were so poor but he had very limited options to change things on the bench only having 4 subs

Another example of bad management in my books . That and digging the players out in the press

neilcork68 wrote:4 sub's on Saturday ??

Green was taken I'll after the team sheet was given in but before kick off. I was always under the impression that you can add to the named squad if such an event were to happen ?
Why didn't we name Waters a a sub if that is correct or did we not take him to Oldham...Thus another player getting paid for not playing.
He said we had 1 injured , 1 ill that's why they weren't named as subs so surely we would have taken more than 15 with us just in case what happened to Green, happened .Things can happen overnight that he has no control of , as we were staying the night locally to Oldham..Things happen , one of the loan players he was going to use could have been taken ill or had family problems etc...(oh yeah , 1 did. Why wasn't Waters there to replace him ???) We were so poor but he had very limited options to change things on the bench only having 4 subs

Another example of bad management in my books . That and digging the players out in the press
Busy in work?

Spiderman wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:4 sub's on Saturday ??

Busy in work?
All joking apart that's a fair point about Waters.