Wycombe similarities

As a trust run club I tend to look at like for like.

In 2014-15 Wycombe finished 5th on 84 points, I think they lost the playoff final though could be wrong on that.

2015-16 they finished 13th on 64 points-well below the previous season.

2016-2017 they finished 9th on 69 points missing out on the playoffs by 1 point.

2017-2018 they finished 3rd and went up automatically.

The point I'm making is I'm sure the Wycombe fans were disappointed to finish 13th in 2015-16 after making the playoffs the season before.

Look at the 2 following seasons for them and where they are now.

Still 36 points to play for 1 game at a time, let's see how high we can finish and take it from there as a club going forward.

Re: Wycombe similarities

I like your optimism. I looked at their transfer record during these periods and they seemed to have a high turnover of players and managed to get some good quality loans.

I think a big reason we have struggled this year is that our loanees have gone from high potential youngsters from Prem & Champ to fringe players from League 2 clubs. I'm sure if we had Poole, Bakinson and Semenyo we would be higher up the table. I wonder if the pitch and style of play limits the quality of players we can attract.

They were a Trust and Fans run club until very recently when a rich American took them over, think he owns them now. But you're right - they're a club we should aspire to be.

Differences are they own their ground plus rent it out for rugby and concerts. Plus through their manager they have strong links with QPR and get first refusal on any young QPR starlets who need to go out on loan.

They've stuck with their manager through promotions and rough patches. We're obviously doing the same at present but I currently feel we need a huge shake-up of the coaching and playing staff at the end of this season if things continue as they are.

MF told us, and most of us agreed, that our squad was improved compared to last season even if the starting XI are largely the same. Having only 4 fit players on the bench yesterday was poor, and having no deputy GK given that King's last couple of games have seen errors is also bad planning. How this equates to having a stronger squad I really don't know.

I'm sure the players and staff are working incredibly hard behind the scenes to improve and fix the poor performances. Harsh reality is though, that this hard work isn't currently good enough in my view.

Do Wycombe still host rugby? Wasps moved to Coventry five years ago. Reading Women play there but will presumably leave when London Irish leave the Madejski for Brentford's new place.

I think we need a big rethink on recruitment and particularly length of contracts for players who don't have many options, or they wouldn't be looking at us in the first place.

are they paper or plastic ????

those straws your clutching at

I admire your optimism but sadly cant agree or see why you hold those views.

This season has been more of a chore than a joy supporting the team.
i used to wake up on a Saturday and think Great football today lets enjoy the day and see the boys hopefully get a win or at least if we lose , go down fighting and be gracious in defeat.
i woke up yesterday , My son said he didnt want to go and you know what I felt the same so I gave the trip to Oldham a miss. Hindsight makes me glad I didnt..Saw the game on iplayer and we rolled over and let Oldham hammer us and had very little to offer..It could and should have been double figures and we got off lightly with a 5 goal hammering
Players huff and puff , maybe giving everything they have but we are 'going through the motions' waiting for the season to end. Most of the season has been this way IMO. Early season results papered over the cracks of how bad we have been for the majority of the season.
Yes the players have let US . themselves and their manager down but sorry to keep banging on . The buck stops with the manager who seems to be living / hanging on from his past glories and IMO hasnt got the ability or answers to turn this slump around and needs replacing for the good of the club.
I have no agenda , no ill feelings towards the manager but IMO he needs to admit to himself that he is out of his depth and hasnt got the ideas to get the team playing well. Effort and hard work isnt going to solve the deep down problems of lack of tactics and tactical knowledge he hasnt got.We are so predictable in our play and thankfully thanks to our cabbage patch of a pitch we can scrape a few results now and again to keep the believers happy and keep believing he is the right man for the job.
Manager with a far better records than him have been sacked..Then again they havent got 'their mate'backing them as Flynn has in Foxhall.

I cant believe he has come out and said he has 12 games to save his job after the two performances HIS TEAM has put in this week. he should , along with the players be' hanging their heads in shame' this weekend and be offering a huge apology to the 147 fans that made the trip yesterday and the 33 that travelled Tuesday.
Their choice to travel I know but they travelled expecting to see the team perform better than they did I am sure of it

Neil the thread was about comparing us to a similar club who have been on a similar journey even to the point that the season after they made the playoffs they finished 13th.

No doubt this was way below what the club and supporters were expecting and again no doubt there were calls for Ainsworths head.

They stayed loyal probably made a honest assessment of where things went wrong put it right and this is what we need to do.

Everyone else has seemed to grasp it's a direct comparison between the 2 clubs and given their thoughts along those lines.

Wycombe are miles in front of where we are even before they got a rich investor
They own their own ground , have a commercial department that works in bringing in revenue , a good training set up ( I believe ) that they own and a manager who has tactical knowse.
What do we have ....a few quid in the bank because we were lucky with good cup draws and getting TV games , a squad half full of players on two year deals who have been pretty dire this season , quite a few players out on loan with over a year contracts still to run and not knowing whether we have anywhere to play in a few years time if the WRU kick us out.
Similarities between them and us ??????? Give your head a wobble

Well given all that Neil what Flynny's achieved is even more remarkable because he's clearly done it with a lot less resources.

I'll add that the season after making the playoffs they underachieved and came way below supporter expectation so don't see much managerial nous there unless Ainsworths masterplan was to finish below halfway. What they then did is stick together, regrouped and pushed on.

Loyalfoot wrote:Neil just thrives on negativity and has had it in for MF since the season started.
That's because of the negative style of Anti football tactics he has used since the season started.
Hoof it and hope..
Do you watch other teams play ?
Do you see their main attacking option from open play as a long throw or a 80 yard hoof upfield ?
We complain about the midfield , wingers etc not being very good . that's because we don't play through them. How many times does our wingers get to the bye line and whip crosses in ?
How many times have our midfield dominated games. That's because the ball is hoofed over them for the majority of the game.
Where have the imaginative corners and free kicks gone ? Now its aim for Inniss or Matt who very rarely win the ball
When do we play the ball through the sections ?
Its pass , pass along the back 4 pass it forward to midfield who then pass backwards then hoof it as best. None of the players seem to want to take control of the ball and try to get rid of it as quickly as they can
Play to your strengths.We don't have the right players to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but that's the managers preferred choice.Is it working ?
Two heavy defeats this week and many poor displays before says it isnt

Loyalfoot wrote:Neil just thrives on negativity and has had it in for MF since the season started.
Try for once listening to what Supporter and Neil are debating rather than every time have a school ground swipe.
They both make very good points.
Its a forum and debate is good.

supporter wrote:I've no idea Neil but that totally contradicts your previous post, put it this way I can't see it being cut the season they finished 13th after making the Playoffs the season before.
I'm sure I read his budget was cut a bit after they missed out on promotion as they had overspent chasing promotion.
They were also in talks about being taken over at the time so had to balance the books .
We however missed out on promotion , Raised the managers budget but have got worse on field and will finish a lot lower than 13th.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Try for once listening to what Supporter and Neil are debating rather than every time have a school ground swipe.
They both make very good points.
Its a forum and debate is good.

It surprises you how Frank ?

Several posters on here turn to personal abuse rather than debate..Why that is only they can tell you ????
*delete as appropriate
Lack of intelligence
Not willing to debate like adults
Nasty people
Trolls